1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Not all Luxor rooms have wifi?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by HallOfPromise, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just saw a VegasChatter posting that mentions Luxor rooms lacking wifi. A google search seemed to back it up in the form of many complaints. Whaaaat?

We just booked two of our four nights at Luxor via myVEGAS for early Sept. We starting keeping the laptops at home a few trips ago to free up luggage and keep them safe at home. We now rely on our smart phones... however, we all know how the Strip can be a fight for bandwidth, so in room wifi is very much appreciated, especially when we have to pay for the resort fee. Might as well make the fee somewhat justifiable.

Can anyone confirm the lack of wifi at Luxor? Is it some of the rooms or all rooms, pyramid or towers, etc.? Do other large Strip resorts lack in-room wifi?

This just seems odd for a major resort, at least well known resort, lacking a feature some of the smaller/older resorts have.

2. dtm615

dtm615 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was there in October there was no WiFi in the towers. I will be there Thursday, so I can update that if no one else does.

3. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed in a Pyramid Deluxe Room back in April, no wi-fi, but there was an ethernet cable to plug into your laptop for Internet service. Couldn't use my TouchPad VIA wi-fi; even though I paid for it. :grrr:

4. HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeesh. Now I am wondering if I should bring my wireless router. Anyone try this or know of a rule against this?

I re-read the resort fee description and it only states in-room wired internet access. Same with Excalibur, which is where we will be staying for our first two days. The wireless router would seem very tempting if I didn't have to bring my laptop to set it up.

5. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in the west tower right now and there is spotty wi-fi coverage. It's slow (only about 1.5 mbps) and sometimes connects without issue and sometimes takes a little to get it working, but it's there. Not sure about the rest of the hotel. If you want to be sure to have a wi-fi signal (and a stronger, more stable one) you can bring a laptop and download wireless router plus and you can use a laptop as a WAP. It's free and very simple to use and may be easier than bringing a router and possibly having to try to troubleshoot it without a computer.

6. HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you! I will consider that.

7. anton73

anton73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's actually pretty cool. That can come in handy in other situations like these.

9. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can confirm that Luxor West Tower has wifi on floors 17 and up :) We were there last week and stayed in the East tower (no wifie) but when I was there in April we were on the 17th floor West Tower and had Wifi.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the resort fee only covers high speed WIRED access (which they value at $14.99) for $18. Excalibur only appears to have wired access as well. It's been years since I've had a laptop with an ethernet jack and I would be irritated to have to pay for access that would require an additional investment in a router or dongle to use. Most people would probably be better off investing in hot spot service than getting internet access from their hotels anyway.

11. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

Yep, I never leave home without my travel router, so I actually prefer a wired connection. Plug it in and all of my WiFi devices have access.

12. anton73

anton73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually a better connection too. I've had some situations where hotel wireless was barely usable.

13. HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I'm gonna get that travel router. I couldn also use a reaper at home so it can double as that.

Question: While on the road is it simply plug and play? Or is there some extra step required to broadcast the signal? In other words, do I need my laptop to set up? I've never used one of these I'm hoping to leave the laptop at home.

Edit: I just read a review at PC Mag. It is a plug and play with default SSID and passwords. Nice! Looks like I'll be bringing this along on my travels. It's kinda sad I need a device like this in Vegas, compared to many other smaller hotels across the country that include free in-room wifi. But it is what it is.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.