1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Time limit for buffets

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Sam in Ut, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Earlier this week we had dinner at the Bellagio buffet.. (Wonderful as usual) noticed on our receipt this statement: "Thank you for limiting Your dining experience to 2 hours". Our normal stay is about 35 to 45 minutes depending how far we are seated from the buffet.
    Previous trips I've not noticed this statement, but I may be wrong. Anyone ever come close to 2 hours at a buffet or was asked to leave?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope... doubt it's enforced often, but frankly doesn't surprise me that there'd be some jack-asses that would try to hang around and graze the day away!

3. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as I know, Bellagio is the only buffet to print that on the receipt. And it is not enforced. I'm assuming it's there so that people are more likely to leave before two hours and so that the buffet covers themselves if they really do need to tell a group to leave (maybe if a convention of competitive eaters all decided to have a caviar eating contest?).

Besides Cosmo, which actually closes down between lunch and dinner service, all the other buffets let you stay as long as you'd like. I often stay 4-5 hours at Bacchanal. Just remember to tip your server accordingly.

The only other places that have a listed time limit are the various sushi buffets around town. The limit is usually 60 minutes, although I have only seen it enforced on tables that were being rowdy and disrespectful to the staff and the other diners. And even if it is enforced, they just kindly inform you that your time is coming to an end and to please place your final orders.

4. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at Luxor last week for about an hour... mostly drinking water.. then started feeling sick, fast forward 10 hours :vomit:

5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mr. ah6tyfour, I don't use the word 'hero' lightly, but you are the greatest hero in American history.

6. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IIRC, the time limit is four hours!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vAkXPpBnSkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Smo. I immediately thought of that when I read the thread title.
    Funny funny stuff.

I have not seen the time limit suggestion thing either. Probably an hour and a half is about the max for me thought. And that's with a group just having fun, not really eating the whole time.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Harrah's buffet in Council Bluffs used to (it may still be there) have a sign saying to "Please limit dining experience to 90 minutes" or something like that.

9. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been to the Bellagio B. many times and this was the first time I noticed it? In fact my son brought it to my attention. Could it be because of the unlimited drink deal?

10. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

I haven't eaten at Bacchannal, but a few reviews I've read have mentioned they have a "please limit yourself to two hours" notice (not sure if its on the table or on the receipt). It probably isn't enforced unless people are being ridiculous. I've heard of groups getting lunch and then leaving one person to save the table while the group goes out and then comes back for dinner.

11. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW, didn't know dining at a buffet could be so complicated. We don't do many buffets and have never gone to a high-end buffet. But when we go to one, we eat till we're full and leave. Period.

12. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying for 90+ minutes doesn't mean you're stuffing yourself like a pig. We like to relax, sip beverages, talk about/plan our day, and the time spent at the bufet means the machines aren't taking our money!

13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am kinda surprised more popular ones don't have time limits posted. I don't think they are concerned about consumption but more about flipping tables so they can keep lines moving.

14. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's freaking hilarious!

I agree 100%. I have a new hero, and that hero is named ah6tyfour.

15. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know whether to be proud or to be ashamed :haha:

When we eat there, we take our time and relax. We usually enter near the tail end of lunch and then stick around until dinner. It's a great time with great friends and great food. It's normally the highlight of my day, so I draw it out as long as possible!

16. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So let me get this straight ah6tyfour, Bacchanal does not have any restrictions regarding length of stay and you've never been asked to leave as you're approaching the fifth hour at the same table? I'm not critical of what you're doing, just trying to understand policies at different establishments. Have you spent the same amount of time at other buffets, especially curious about the Bellagio where they evidently frown on stays longer than two hours?

PS..I admire the fact you do what you desire to do

17. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The day when spending 4-5 hours at the buffet is the highlight of the day will be my last day in Vegas. :peace:

18. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SMO beat me to it. John Pinette has slimmed down over the past few years. He ranks with Stephen Wright among my favorite current comedians.

19. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, there are no restrictions as to how long you stay at Bacchanal. But we do our best to make sure the staff are well-compensated. There's usually a time when the server is going on break and drops by to introduce us to the person who will be helping us during the break. We take that opportunity to tip and then we tip again as we leave. I'd like to think we're a table that the server would like to have back again next time.

For other buffets, I don't stay as long. I've definitely gone over the two hour mark at Bellagio without problems, but it's not as inviting a place to hang out with friends, so we usually eat and leave to hang out elsewhere. Same with Wynn's buffet and Wicked Spoon at Cosmo. The only other buffet where we tend to stay longer is Studio B at M Resort. We've definitely had meals lasting 4+ hours with no problems.

I'm a local. It's either we keep eating or we go home and watch TV. We have to entertain ourselves somehow! :haha:

20. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Good to hear that the servers are compensated. Taking a seat for that long does cut into their potential for tip-earning, but it sounds like you've taken care of that issue.
    Agree about both the Wynn and Bellagio not being being comfortable rooms to sit in for long periods of time.
    And yes, the M Resort buffet is very relaxing to hang at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.