1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Can you take a bus to the Vegas sign?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by pink_paradise, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pink_paradise

pink_paradise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep hearing from people that I can take a bus to the Vegas sign instead of walking in the July heat or wasting money on a cab..Is this true? I looked on the bus website, but didn't notice any stops relatively close to the sign.
    What am I missing? What bus would I take? Where would we get off? We would be leaving from around NYNY and returning to around MGM.

Hoping someone can clear this up!

2. Crambone

Crambone Gnaeus Pompey Magnus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Use the 104.
    I use Google Maps. You can zoom in and it indicates bus stops with the next two arrivals.

3. pink_paradise

pink_paradise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where would I get the 104? Is this a separate bus ticket than the Deuce/SDX passes?

4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 104 will indeed stop there, but I think the only transfer from the Deuce/SDX is at the SSTT, so you'd have to go all the way down there and then change over to the 104. The closest Deuce/SDX stop is outside the Four Seasons, which is still a bit of a hike.

5. pink_paradise

pink_paradise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does the 104 stop on the Strip anywhere though? Or would the only way to do it be to go to the transfer terminal and then back?

6. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really. It runs down Arville (which is out to the west) until it gets to Russell, when it crosses over to the Strip, so while I guess you could catch it there, by that point you've already walked about halfway from Mandalay Bay to the sign.

7. pdog89149

pdog89149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just want to caution that you're technically not supposed to cross the street to get to that sign. There is a no crossing sign, but everyone ignores it. While the saying, "everyone does it" may be true, it doesn't mean it's right. The County is working on plans to put in a crosswalk.

People may not know this, but there is another Welcome To Las Vegas sign in downtown at the fork of 4th and LVB and the Deuce has a stop right there. Not sure if that is a signalized crossing, but may be less congested and cars don't go by as fast.

How nobody has gotten hurt crossing LVB at the southern Welcome to Las Vegas sign is a miracle. Glad the crosswalk is being built soon.

8. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take the Tram from Excalibur to Mandalay Bay. Exit MB onto the Strip and walk to the sign. It takes about 10-15 minutes from MB. Bring some water and comfortable shoes along with a hat if you go to the sign in the afternoon. If you go early in the morning or just before the sun goes down, even better. There will be traffic on both sides of Las Vegas Blvd, so be careful. Just remember, many people will be driving into Vegas from Cali later in the afternoon into the evening, and people will be driving back to Cali after the normal checkout time of 11 am. I suggest walking to the sign earlier in the morning, like 8 or 9 am. It won't be as hot and the travelers going back to Cali won't be on the road at that time. There is a live web cam of the sign if you go to "Earth Cam Las Vegas". You'll probably see Elvis hanging around.

9. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I remember we did the dash across the road to get to the sign, I was surprised there was no crossing there already as the sign is a very popular attraction in Vegas

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. Crambone

Crambone Gnaeus Pompey Magnus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this it? Not really delivering the same sense of "awe".

Attached Files:

12. pdog89149

pdog89149 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That might be it. I thought there was a larger one too, but I believe that may be it.

13. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

The real awe comes when one enters from the south versus the north.

14. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    deleted comment

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  15. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boulder Strip Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada Sign says hi!

Attached Files:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.