1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cleveland Browns Fan for Life (and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by bardolator, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (excerpted from Columbus Dispatch July 7, 2013)

Scott E. Entsminger, 55, of Mansfield, died Thursday, July 4, 2013 at his residence. Born January 8, 1958 in Columbus, Ohio, he was the son of William and Martha (Kirkendall) Entsminger. He retired from General Motors after 32 years of service. He was an accomplished musician, loved playing the guitar and was a member of the Old Fogies Band. A lifelong Cleveland Browns fan and season ticket holder, he also wrote a song each year and sent it to the Cleveland Browns as well as offering other advice on how to run the team. He respectfully requests six Cleveland Browns pall bearers so the Browns can let him down one last time.

Memorial services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, 2013 at the Life Celebration Reception Center, 129 South Main Street, Mansfield, Ohio 44902. Friends may call one hour prior to the service, from 1-2 p.m., on Tuesday. The family also encourages everyone to wear their Cleveland Browns clothing to the service in honor of Scott.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Browns responded by calling the family, asking who Scott's favorite player was (Lou Groza), and promising to send a jersey with Groza's number and Scott's last name to the memorial service.

Although it will be a memorial service, not a burial service, rumors have flown that six members of the team will show up to be pallbearers. If so, I hope the Browns don't send any pass receivers as part of the honor guard. I wouldn't want the guy to be dropped.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great post... I can totally relate. I grew-up in Akron and when my Grandpa passed away in '94 we put his Browns hat in the casket with him... he never went anywhere without it.

3. djen

djen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

That is the best line of the obit. So many fans of many teams can relate to that.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too funny!:thumbsup:
    Loved bardolator comment!

5. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Life long Browns fan here. Born and raised in Youngstown but not reside on the West Side of CLE in Lakewood. Everyone loves this story including myself.

6. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately for Scott, he was only 6 years old when the Browns won their last championship. The Super Bowl was not even in existence. I was 13 years old and had to listen to the game on the radio. No TV coverage in Cleveland. A lifetime without a Super Bowl, World Series, or NBA Championship win. :cry:

7. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The DJ on a radio station here in Austin told this story this morning.
    Funny stuff.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jimbucc, you just made me feel a lot better about life in Wisconsin!:peace:

9. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in high school in 1964. A buddy got the game from Toledo or Detroit on one of those dial antennas. It went out and in during the first half, mostly out, but we could hear Ken Coleman's play by play and got to see Collins catch his first TD. The second half came in pretty well.

The game seems to be available in various archives. I hope they played it at the memorial.

I am still waiting for the Indians to win the World Series. I missed the last one by a couple of weeks.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see Holmgren now has taken a job as "expert" commentator with the Seattle radio station that broadcasts the Seahawks games.

The guy got us a Superbowl win, but the stories you heard about him being such a dictator with the media, makes me wonder. A really good coach, but maybe not management material.

Oh well, It was another Lombardi trophy!!!:thumbsup:

11. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holmgren was a poster boy for the Peter Principle.

Lou Groza played in that 1964 game. By that time he was just a kicker. The team sent a jersey with the number 76 and the guy's name, which is an anachronism because in Lou Groza's day the players' names were not on the jerseys.

12. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great story... people take their sports-teams seriously back there!

Lot's of great Woody Hayes (former Ohio State coach) stories, but my favorite revolves around a recruiting trip he took with some assistant coaches to the State of Michigan (both schools love to poach players) and on the way back, somewhere north of Toledo and the state line that divides Ohio and Michigan, one of the assistants told Woody they needed to stop for gas. Woody asked how much they had and assessed they had enough to get across the state line into Ohio and ordered they keep drivin'. He said something to the effect, "I'll be damed if I'm gonna spend any more Ohio dollars in the State of Michigan than I already have on this trip!" Of course, they ran out of gas and Woody made the coaches get out and push the car till they crossed the state line and bought Ohio fuel!

14. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always thought that one sounded like Woody invented it, similar to the torn ball caps that had been perforated in advance.

Woody used to come to our school from time to time even though Coach Ross never sent anyone to OSU. Once I saw Woody in the hall with the coach, who taught in my department. Woody was not a tall man but he had great presence. That day, he took over Coach Ross' class of Hunyats (his word) and held them spellbound for 45 minutes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  15. Ronoh

Ronoh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [YOUTUBE]tRBDMMVctu8[/YOUTUBE]

16. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Poignant video.

Although I watch all the games, I have attended just one Cleveland Browns football game. At the old Stadium, one view of those tiny brown figures in the distance was plenty. At the new place- well, you saw the video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.