1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mt Charleston wildfire

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always wanted to visit up there but never got around to it yet. I can't find the article anymore, but I swear I read that they expect it to be contained by July 19th. We can only hope.

3. acehigh

acehigh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most up to date info on Carpetner 1 Fire and Pics...

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3481/

The link above provides really good timely updates on the fire. I was at first having a hard time finding updates from local news here but the link has been most helpful. I have been seeing the smoke every day since it started on July 1st. The has been ashes on cars parked at my complex. My friends house near the airport can sometimes see the flames at night.

Here are a few pics. One is from the Las Vegas TPC I captured and the other is driving home from the strip near the LVH.

Lets hope they put it out soon. Hoping for some rain tomorrow.

Basic Information
    Incident Type Wildfire
    Cause Lightning
    Date of Origin Monday July 01st, 2013 approx. 12:00 PM
    Location Fire location is one mile from Kyle Canyon
    Incident Commander Rich Harvey
    Current Situation
    Total Personnel 1,264
    Size 25,524 acres
    Percent Contained 15%
    Fuels Involved
    Pinyon Juniper
    Fire Behavior
    Running fire behavior with short crown runs. Group tree torching and spotting.
    Significant Events
    The Great Basin Incident Management Team #2 assumed command of the Carpenter 1 Fire at 0600 on Sunday, July 7.
    Outlook
    Planned Actions
    Crews continue to do structure protection. Assess possible containment strategies.
    Growth Potential
    High
    Terrain Difficulty
    Extreme
    Remarks
    PROJECTED FIRE MOVEMENT: North into Kyle and Lee Canyons, southwest toward Trout Creek and east to Lovell Canyon and Harris Springs Canyon. During the next 24 hours, it may hook north into the lower end of Kyle Canyon.

Attached Files:

• Love Love x 1
  4. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hiking on Mt Charleston around the time it began - on July 2nd I was hiking and smelled smoke but didn't think anything of it. About 5:30pm I was coming down the mountain when I saw the smoke wafting over one of the peaks and immediately knew it was a wildfire. I snapped photos of that beginning stage. I had no idea it would become as bad as it is.

Mt Charleston is one of my favorite spots and I was looking forward to doing a few more hikes and taking in the scenery while I was in town - I just hope that all the businesses and homes are safe.

Yesterday I drove up to Pahrump and through Red Rock Canyon and the sky looked like Armageddon - the mountain where the wildfire is raging looked like a volcano erupting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool pictures. Looks like a major fire, though I haven't seen any national coverage. Hope it stays on the other side of the Valley.

Thanks for posting.

6. StreetKore

StreetKore Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. Can anyone comment on the current air quality on the strip in regard to the fire?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.