1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What months to enjoy the heat but still get to play in the snow?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LV_Bound, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read where its not too long of a drive to the mountains and get to play in some snow.

I thought it would be neat to be in Vegas when its warm then take a trip to the mountains to play in the snow.

What months would this be feasible? I assume you can exclude July/Aug. :wink2:

2. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jan./Feb. at Mt. Charleston.........it's an all season mountain resort. You can drive early in the morning and return to the Strip for dinner. I have done the same here in LA.....surf in the morning then drive to Mt.Baldy for the rest of the day (i can't do that anymore :)
    If you don't want to spend the day at Mt.Charleston, you could try Red Rock Canyon. When you take the "loop", you can hike just off the beaten path near Ice Box and if the weather is cooperating you can make snowballs. The weather will be a lot cooler at Red Rock than Downtown. Also, the weather at Mt.Charleston will be freezing in Jan.-Feb. Bundle up.

3. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on how far you want to drive. The closest skiing is probably Mount Charleston, and they usually close in April. If you're talking driving to Utah, you can sometimes ski through May. But that's not a quick trip. Eagle Point is maybe 3 or 4 hours away.

4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. Actually looking for something close. Nothing more than an hour or so.
    Not even sure if that is enough time.

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Actually, we have came upon snow on the upper elevations of Mt. Charleston in June, right around the 10,000-ft level. It prevented us from finishing a hike to the peak. Since then, we've changed our hike to July/August, when the snow is melted.
    However, it can still be as cold as 30 degrees overnite in August.

6. 2VegasNuts

2VegasNuts High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have done this sun and snow day many times. Mt. Charleston is where you want to go. It is an easy 45 minute drive from the strip. The resort is beautiful and has a very nice restaurant for lunch/dinner. From Dec-Mar there are people sledding all over the place. We find late March/early April is best for Vegas Heat to Mt.Charleston Snow. Our best was about 85 in Vegas and sledding at Mt. Charleston the same day (2010 I think).

7. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    45 minutes is very reasonable. Glad you mentioned march/April because we were there in Feb this year and holy shit it was cold. I figure April has to be much nicer.

8. Flopitbaby

Flopitbaby Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were in Vegas March 28th - April 2nd this year and went to Mt Charleston. 70's-80's in Vegas and low 50's middle of the afternoon at the mountain with skiers in bikinis I might add in abundance.:wink2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.