1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

KA performer dies after fall from wall

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by ah6tyfour, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las Vegas Sun article

I've been following the bits and pieces of news last night about a KA performer who fell from the very top of the wall during the finale battle (where they're all on wires) down into the underground pit. It has now been confirmed that the performer died of her injuries. It is Cirque's first on-the-job fatality. And it happened the same night as everyone was in town for the official premiere of Michael Jackson ONE.

I can't even imagine how far the fall was. That wall is at least 3-4 stories high and the pit is at least another 2-3 stories. I wonder if they don't keep whatever inflatable cushion under that area inflated at all times or if the cushion just was not made for a fall from that height.

It's a stark reminder of just how dangerous these roles are. They make it all look so easy that it is easy to forget that they're risking their lives every time they take the stage.

KA is dark Sunday through Monday as part of their normal show schedule. I wonder if they'll go on with shows starting Tuesday or if OSHA needs to come in to inspect and recertify.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A terrible tragedy for her family, the other actors, and even the audience. Its truly amazing this is their first death. I hope everyone who is affected by this can find peace in time.

USBC Nationals
  3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very sad.

4. Maverick41

Maverick41 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still and always will be one of my favorite shows, and I had just gone to see it again on Thursday night. You can still clearly see how much pride that cast takes in making the whole production happen each night. I have no words for how sad this entire thing is.

This particular performer also ran a children's performance school called "Cirquefit" in Las Vegas teaching kids as young as 3 years old some of the basic Cirque techniques.

Just absolutely terrible and so sad that this happened.

5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely awful. I have to admit, I'm somewhat amazed that it's the first on-the-job death for Cirque... considering how dangerous most of the stunts look, it's somewhat incredible that this hasn't happened yet. Thoughts go out to her family.

Speaking as someone with some circus/aerial training, it could also just be a bad fall. It doesn't matter what kind of cushion or net you have, or what distance you're falling from, if you hit it at the wrong angle, it's going to be bad.

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's truly terrible. I would assume that the show will be dark for at least a little while to give the cast time to grieve and bury the deceased, but then again, "the show must go on" so who knows what they'll do?

7. Dans Lady

Dans Lady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Sun article says canceled until further notice. Reading that was rough, btw. I would say they wouldn't do any shows this week at the minimum.

10. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sad, very sad.

11. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw the show a couple years and a guy damn near fell. It was during the part with the big rotating hamster wheel looking thing. He was spinning out the outside of it jumping rope and tripped on the rope a bit and almost feel. It was pretty scarry to watch, couldn't image having to witness this accident.

12. LAV

LAV Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very, very sad news, indeed. My condolences to her family and everyone else affected by this.

13. DMSCR

DMSCR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Condolences to the family. Such horrible news. Hopefully if the show ever opens there should be some improved protective precaution(s) to make sure this will never happen again.

:cry:

14. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is so sad. I saw it on Wednesday night for the first time and was blown away. I wondered what caught all the people that were falling off that wall. I was also surprised that it didn't seem that some of the people were wearing wires. On that particular act, you could see the wires, and it was clear that that was the only way they could do it, but this act was my favorite, and I could not see any wires...

Hmm, the link would not save. Type in "Ka Vertical Stage" in you tube and it is the first result. Posted by Liz Bailey a year ago...

I thought it would have been that one....

15. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's actually not where the accident happened. The scene you are talking about indeed has no wires and there are performers tumbling over the edge of the stage into the underground pit.

The accident happened during the final battle scene where the stage is up perpendicular to the floor and all the performers are overtly wearing harnesses with cables controlled by remote controls in their hands. I've included a link to the scene.

KA - Final Battle

There is no other way to do this part of the show. Hopefully they figure out what went wrong, put in some extra safety precautions, and continue on. This scene ran twice a night for almost 10 years before this tragedy happened, so it is most likely a freak accident. I really hope they don't change the act because of what happened (since the only way to change it to prevent another fall is to remove the act entirely).

16. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This happened when I saw it last year, too. I also saw someone doing the same trick at a state fair, surrounded by nothing but asphalt/pavement, and he stumbled and almost fell. I thought I was going to vomit. I can't imagine actually witnessing someone fall. At least the audience didn't have to see her hit the deck. Truly a nasty feeling reading/hearing about it...can't imagine the gross feeling of being in the audience.

17. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, that's what I said. Maybe I wasn't clear.... On that final act, you could see the wires clearly. On my favorite act, there were no wires, but they were falling a long way.

18. bryinmi

bryinmi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very sad indeed. She is the mother of 2 young children as well.

19. StormHawk

StormHawk Yuma, where I work in software.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm curious what character she was and if they rotate roles.

20. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.