1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sending food back

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by freddywill, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freddywill

freddywill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone have a problem sending food back if they dont like it? I never used to do it before but I figure if you're going to pay some outrageous price for a meal then they should at least have it cooked right, or have it hot not lukewarm.

My niece and nephew are so embarrassed by this (We don't send back everytime we go out) but once they start paying for their own dinners they may figure it out.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rarely do it, but there are times I will send an entree back. Usually it is because it is overcooked and I either order rare or med rare on an order of beef.

I know there are people who won't send food back because they are worried it is going to piss off the chef and he might do something to the food on the reorder. You can't worry about all this sh*t in life.

If you're not happy--send it back.

One time I sent a prime rib back twice because it was overcooked. They finally came back with the third one and said this was it, the entire roast was overcooked. I could either take it, or get a refund. Not Vegas, just a local restaurant we visit a lot.

I'm not a foodie, but if it isn't right, complain!

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t send stuff back. Not because I’m embarrassed or because I have some sort of problem doing so. I just think it causes a bigger problem than it solves. I’d rather have a subpar meal than have to send my dish back while everyone else eats…then when they’re all finished and ready to leave or have dessert, my meal shows up. No thanks.

I’ll just let the server know what the problem is. Nine times out of ten, that dish is taken off the check. That’s more than acceptable to me, especially if the dish is still edible. If it isn’t taken off the check, and the waiter doesn’t offer me any explanation as to why it wasn’t taken off the check, then I will speak with the manager and make sure that it’s taken off the check.

But, to your point, freddywill…yes, I absolutely believe that your niece and nephew will feel much differently once they understand what sacrifices need to be made to acquire the money that pays for those meals!

4. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never sent anything back but then again Im easy to please when it comes to food. I considered sending a steak back at Red Lobster (ordered medium and got it burned/charred) but decided its better to just stick a bunch of A1 on it and swallow it.

I've heard from friends that worked at restaurants that chances of spit in your food increase tenfold when you start sending food back.

5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is pretty much where I am, too. The only time I do it is if what they brought me literally wasn't what I ordered. It's never happened in Vegas, but when, for example, I order a sandwich without mayo, and it comes slathered in mayo, I send it back (I really, really hate mayo). Otherwise, as long as the actual dish is what I ordered, I'm not really picky at all about how my food is prepared unless it's a food safety issue like chicken being undercooked.

6. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having worked in a restaurant (not in the kitchen…I never spit in your food!), I can tell you that a ten-fold increase might even be understating the likelihood…sad, but true.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done it on a couple occasions, once when it was the wrong order and once when the entire underside was burnt and they tried to hide it. I think it goes without saying that when you send something back, it's wise to be a polite and professional as you possibly can be... don't be a dick about it! I know you're the customer and the customer's always right, but your replacement meal may have something "extra" in it you don't want if you don't handle things well. I've seen so many people who patronize the hospitality industry and seem to think their $$$ allows them to act like, "I'm here... serve me!" and going over the top that way is just asking for trouble. Treat people with respect and politely and 99.9% of the time it's returned that way.

8. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I order my burgers without tomato so if one comes on it I'll just take it off and not worry about sending it back. Last year I was at a nice steakhouse though and ordered a $75 steak medium rare. When it came out and I cut into it and it was way past medium rare and more along the lines of medium well/well done. When our server came around I politely noted that my father and I both ordered the same thing and his came out perfect and mine was way off. He was extremely apologetic and brought me a complimentary crab cocktail while I was waiting for my new steak to come out. When the steak came out they also replaced both of the sides that we ordered with new ones. When we got the bill, my $75 steak was not on the bill. Needless to say, the server got a hell of a tip from me for the way they handled everything.

9. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I typically give the chef wide latitude, I have no problem sending back a grossly undercooked Osso Buco (Vintner Grill) or an overcooked steak (Old Homestead). The problem for me is that, even if the restaurant is very prompt and courteous in acknowledging their mistake and is eager to re-prepare your entree to your liking, the bad entree totally ruins the timing and enjoyment of the meal for the other diners in your party.

When this happens, I think a restaurant should recall and re-prepare the entrees for the entire table, and provide complimentary appetizers and libations for them to bide the time. Otherwise, the other diners at the table either eat 20 minutes before the unfortunate diner receives his recooked entree, or, if the dining companions are polite and wait until their dining companion receives his recooked entree, are resigned to eat cold entrees and sides.

10. freddywill

freddywill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will never act like a jerk and send stuff back, I always say sorry for making things humbug for the server and be nice about it. But sometimes when they make you wait almost an hour for your food and it comes out cold, that is pretty crappy. But we always tip the server well and make sure she knows its not their fault.

11. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sending an entree back that is grossly mis-cooked does not automatically make one a jerk.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makes me wonder what people do when there are problems with other consumer interactions, just roll over the same way?

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jeez, I spent 30+ minutes today on the phone with SWA over $5. In the end, I got it back. I'm not rolling over.:poke:

14. egelston2

egelston2 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it depends where I'm eating. If I'm eating a burger or sandwich, I might not send it back. If I'm spending top dollar at an upscale place, I will send it back. The head chef's expectations is that everyone that will be cooked properly. While in Vegas, I have only sent back things two times. Once at Craft Steak, my caesar salad had no dressing. The second time i was given the wrong fish at Olives.

15. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks k2v,

BTW, your GHIN index this month = 15.9? Really?

16. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

Usually I will only send something back if it was under/over cooked or they made a major mistake such bringing the wrong item or using the wrong sauce/dressing. In those cases the server/kitchen can easily see that the mistake was on their end. Maybe twice I've sent stuff back for being too spicy. I've never sent stuff back for being too bland or too salty. I usually figure that's the product of a bad chef so even if he makes me something else it'll probably have the same problems and maybe a few unwanted extras too.

17. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never send food back; considering at least 50% of the time orders are screwed up, getting a food redo makes the entire dining process much too long for me, I'd rather pursue the angle of them making it right by discount or removing an item entirely from the check

sadly, I'm especially stunned these days when I have great service and great food because its in the minority

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. That's wrong. I need to call the SCGA. It should be 15.7. :thumbsup:

19. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is simply not possible....this is the USA after all and if such a policy was in place the restaurant would go under in short order because there would be massive lines of human detritus outside the place from open to close waiting to get inside and have one member of their 20 top find an issue with something and send it back while everyone else has theirs removed, the free apps and drinks come out, and the place goes broke and the servers leave in mass because they are being run ragged by masses of idiots looking to scam free food and drinks

and even if every table was not trying this (they would be once word hit the streets) the interruption from the other tables throwing a tantrum and having a mini-riot after they are denied something or told that a salad with no dressing does not constitute new food for all and free drinks and apps would make your dining out experience horrid

and as for spitting in the food it has been a LONG time since I worked in a restaurant and I bussed and cooked in a Chilis and I can say that without a doubt that if you spit in someones food you would have been beat down by the other cooks and the waitstaff in short order.....I also cooked the comp breakfast at Embassy Suites and the people I worked with there were more picky about the food than the customers

I did work at one other local place for a week in a small town and it no longer there and they would serve toast off the floor on occasion because they made a game out of tossing it across the kitchen because the toast grill was in the far corner of the kitchen......I left there promptly, reported them, told all my friends and anyone else that would listen and never went back

the worst I ever saw anywhere else in between those three relatively short stints in restaurant work was once when someone was complaining their burger was not well done enough and sent it back several times even though it was already a thoroughly cooked dry hunk of flavorless leather by then we set the grill weight on the thing finally and cooked the damn thing until it was about solid.....the waitress came back by later and said the customer said it was just right :eek::rolleyes2::faint:.....I guess you sometimes really have to give people what they want

I have known a lot of people that have worked in a lot of restaurants and even today I think the stories of food having things done to it are way overblown and most people I have known and dealt with would have delivered a beating if they had seen that or known about it

people that generally do that type of crap are often pretty much unemployable at any place and at any low wage and they don't last long because they are miserable people and even worse employees

customers and their expectations on the other hand :rolleyes2:

20. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends. I think it's more of an art form than a science. You have to know how to do it without coming off like an ass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.