1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How is Vegas for boxing fight night?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by RiddickBull, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked my hotel and flight for the Mayweather fight in September. I was wondering how Vegas is during such a major event. How are the baccarat tables? How are lines for restaurants? Other things I should consider?

2. chuckM

chuckM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everything, and I mean everything, is crowded and loud. Hard to get a cab, etc., etc. Was there a day before a fight and couldn't wait to go home. Pretty rowdy. The word "ghetto" seems to be floating around in my head also.

3. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never been in town during a major fight, but I've heard from several people that the overall demographic for those weekends is pretty shitty. I would think that you'll be alright at the bacc tables....doesn't seem like a game that the fight crowd would gravitate towards. Craps may be a different story. Good luck!

4. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I follow a few cab drivers on Twitter and they were all bitching about how shitty the demographics were during the weekend of the last Mayweather fight. "Ghetto" would probably be pretty accurate.
    One tweeted that he was taking 3 women back to the airport 2 days early, they were tired of being repeatedly groped while walking down the strip.

5. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were in LV many years ago on the night of the fight in which Tyson bit the other guy's ear. We had booked before that fight was scheduled and we did not know to expect anything different
    It was loud and crowded to an unpleasant degree. Watching gangs of men swilling from bottles of booze as they rudely pushed their way down the sidewalks was not the way I would chose to spend my vacation....so I will never go again on a fight ( or NBA ALL-STAR game--which I heard was really hideous) weekend.

6. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was downtown this May 4-7th which covered a fight, Cinco de mayo and a major convention. It was crowded but then it usually is on a weekend. I must admit that I didn't even go to the Strip. I was in town on the strip once during a Tyson fight but don't recall what was described above. I guess a lot depends on where you are planning to go, as well as when and what you are doing. The obvious problems are going to be meals, rush hour traffic etc.

I have been in town and downtown for many Nascar weekends where crowds were large but tweeking schedules and making plans or reservations took care of much of the problem.

Jimbo338

7. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. BigGTMike

BigGTMike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm booked at MC that weekend! Should be nuts!

9. BigGTMike

BigGTMike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were also out there for Marquez Diaz 2 and attended it at Mandalay Bay. It wasn't a bad weekend at all but that's obv not as large of fight as any mayweather fight. It was fine besides getting a cab out of MB. It apparently took like 3 hours to clear out the line. We walked and trimmed back to PHo

10. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be unbiased, like everything else in life it depends on what you enjoy.

We were staying at the Mirage a few years back when there was a fight night at Caesar's and like others have said, it was way too crowded and loud (read; obnoxious) for me. Boxing brings in a whole different crowd for the weekend than you normally see in Vegas. Lots of gangster looking wannabee's, gold chains, rudeness, etc.... So, if you like that environment, you'll have fun.

That night we were there, there was a shooting but we didn't find out what happened until the next day. Some guy from CA shot his buddy during an argument that had escalated.....over a hat:rolleyes2:

Which is exactly why we're arriving the sunday night after the staurday fight night when that crowd should be heading back home.:thumbsup:

11. Doubledown11

Doubledown11 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be there that same weekend and staying at the Palazzo arriving on Saturday. Others on this board informed me that the north end of the strip is not nearly as bad as the south end and I probably won't see much of difference compared to other weekends.

One thing I've noticed in all my personal and business trips to Vegas is that for the most part, the "negative" element tends to stay away from the north end of the strip. We always book a room on the north end when we travel on business for that reason. Prob too long of a walk for some.

12. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most Vegas fights (Boxing and Ultimate Cock Fighting) & after fight gatherings are held at MILFe properties (MGM and Mandalay Bay, respectively). The crowd is dependent on the boxer. UCF events are usually tame in terms of crowds. I've witnessed the aftermath of two separate shootings (neither were on fight weekends) at the after hours club near MGM. MGM is a mass of humanity for hours after a major fight.

Best not to cross the Strip demarcation line (south of PHo / Cosmo) if you want to avoid this scene. I rarely venture in this direction on non fight weekends and have always preferred the North Strip (Desert Inn, Stardust & Mirage in the 1990s, Wynn/Encore today) and hope to see it revitalized beyond Encore later this decade.

13. ButterflyMtn

ButterflyMtn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    meh...didn't see much of a difference when I was there on May 4th..similar to other Sat nights in Vegas IMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.