1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another SWA joke sale

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have 4 upcoming trips on SWA. Two to Vegas in Oct, Dec and Seattle in July, Maine in Sept.

So today I get an email from SWA about their birthday sale. Flights starting at $59 one way!

So I checked prices on our same dates and flight times. The SMALLEST price increase over what I had already booked was $24. On one flight their "sale" price was $84 over what we already had booked. None of the flights were cheaper.

I like SWA, but for us, usually their sales are usually a joke. I did save some money (credits) on their recent promotion, but it is so rare.

2. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Agreed Joe. When these e-mails come out, it is no longer a time for hopeful anticipation, but a gentle kick in the pants.

3. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thier sale fare is twice the amount I paid during last weeks sale!

4. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I agree in general with the previous posters. The SWA deals aren't what they used to be. There are a few in there, particularly if you're willing to fly at some odd times and not on most weekends. Anything near a holiday - forget it.

I was able to bag one of the $59 deals for my wife and I after considerable searching of the SWA flight calendars (the best way to search rather than by date). The flights we got are not when we're usually in LV but we thought, "what the hell" and went for it.

Bill

5. Patripman

Patripman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually the prices last Friday for flights from Pittsburgh to Las Vegas for August thru October are the same as those being shown on the recent "sale".

p

6. Darreningreenwood

Darreningreenwood Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, Southwest has gotten much more hit and miss on flight prices lately. About a year ago, I got a Southwest Visa card, and started using it for day to day purchases (standard caveat: be careful doing this!). I will usually use my points for one flight, and pay cash for the other. This basically makes my flights half price, which is what the old special deals were like.

7. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Timing is everything with airline tickets. Usually SWA rates are very good when they open up a new block of dates for reservations, or when a special deal (like the recent 72 hour sale) comes along. You just have to keep checking rates. I fly out of Austin, and it is rare that any other airline can match regular Southwest fares or service, since I only look for nonstop flights. When you factor in no baggage fees and free flight change/cancellations we're still getting a darn good deal on airfare. Last week I booked an October round trip to Vegas for the same price as 5 years ago!

8. hondo230

hondo230 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Total joke

Right now, at least in my area, the big carriers with the baggage fees are cheaper.

9. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree this sale is a joke. I have been waiting for their big anniversary sale...thought this was it....Prices are terrible from the northeast...at least at the dates I was looking at. $200 pp one way big whoop...That's $800 rt for the 2 of us...I will wait for a better sale.

10. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Their better sale was last week, aka the 72 hour sale referred to by mescalita above. Wasn't as good as in the past, but a lot better than this week's "sale", no doubt.

USBC Nationals
  11. zenvegas

zenvegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, not the best sale. I was hopeful of snagging a deal out of Buffalo as SW is the only airline that has some direct flights. Flights out of Toronto are much more expensive. However, SW at $200 each way isn't really a deal.

I need a vacation from my vacations
  12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest sends out so many "sale emails" and they just are not sales. They are starting to hurt their reputation.

13. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I waste my time when I check their "sales" because I am not at a hub or major.

14. trex323

trex323 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,

I fly out of MKE too and was able to get a flight at $129 each way over Labor Day weekend. Some of the sales are bad, but check often and at different times too.

15. jjprosser

jjprosser Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hoping for a least a small discount over what I had been seeing, but the fares are the same as they have been for the last month. I may just bite the bullet and go ahead and book and just watch for cheaper rates as our trip gets closer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.