1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Camera, Bag & lens carrying

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by rborob, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rborob

rborob Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

Hoping this is the best5 place for this thread. I'm off to toasty Vegas in August and am looking for some advice on something. I'm taking my D3200 Nikon camera and a few lenses with me looking to fill a few memory cards with snaps.

I currently have this bag to take as carry on luggage (and transport everything as one)
    [​IMG]

But I'm a bit wary that this might be too much when out and about during the day/evening.

Does anyone have any advice on whether this would be too much, or have experience carrying a minimal amount round using other bags/ cases?

Would probably need at most 2 lenses during each outing (I hope) so if there's a good camera/ lens holder anyone knows of that would be ideal i think.

Many thanks in advance

2. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found myself in a similar situation a couple months ago. I took the family on a ten day vacation to DC, Baltimore, Philly, Niagara.

I took only 2 lenses. My 18-200mm Sigma and my 35mm 1.8 Nikon. I used a small camera bag for traveling. Each day I carried the camera with a Rapid Strap and used a small, draw string backpack to carry the extra lens.

When I left the hotel in the morning, I would put everything in the small backpack. This allowed me to keep the camera out of sight when traveling on the subway or walking through parking lots.

Once we got to where we were going, I was able to hang the camera at my side using the Rapid Strap. The adjustable clips made it possible to lock the camera at my hip and keep it from moving around. I also used a carabiner to clip the draw strings of the back pack to the Rapid Strap (keeps the backpack from slipping off when hung over left shoulder)

I also use a light neoprene cover at times to protect the camera in case of a rain shower or if I was moving through a crowded area. Takes 10 seconds to put on and is lightweight.

I used the Rapid Strap last fall in Vegas. I only carried the 18-200mm. I also have a small pouch that attaches to the back of the Rapid Strap. It's large enough to carry an extra battery, memory card, cleaning stick and soft cloth. (but too small for my 35mm prime lens)

The only other option would be a fanny pack. The problem is that you need to be able to fit your largest lens. So, it could be really big depending on your lens.

I would evaluate what types of pictures you intend to take. You may realize that you don't need so many different lenses.

3. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for walking around LV I use a 28-135 Canon lens. It handles just about any shot for my Canon 450D. Although I'm looking at a 15-85mm for my walk about lens.

This is the range, if you need more than that then you'll need more lenses.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I have a hip holster for walking around. It attaches to my belt, but also has a strap(removable when holstered) if I want it over the shoulder.
    [​IMG]
    It allows me to put the camera away and not have it swing and let's me have both hands back, and I can whip the camera out in a flash.

We put all our camera's and Tablets in one soft sided carry on, each within their own carry case to reduce the number of carry ons. With each person getting one carry on and one personal item (like a laptop or purse) it makes the most sense and it counts as one.

4. rborob

rborob Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some good tips. I have a few lenses, a 35mm, a 50mm, and 18-55 kit lens a 55-200mm lens.

Will probably take a few when i go on a trip to the canyon, but for out and about, I'm thinking the 18-55 and the 55-200. Anyone got any links to decent carrying system for the cameras and those 2 lenses?

5. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we had the exact same problem. and the major problem besides transporting both lenses is that you often want to take a shot and don't have time to switch. the best purchase we made was a 18-300 lens. now we only carry one lens and are always ready for the perfect shot.

6. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you're shooting in low light situations, the 18-55 covers the range of the 35mm and the 50mm. I took my 35mm 1.8 with me on vacation, but only changed it for use in darker museums. Otherwise my 18-200 covered everything else.

Not sure what having the 35mm and the 50mm will do for you at the grand canyon, that the 18-55 won't cover?

I would just go with the 18-55 and the 55-200. The 55-200 is compact enough to fit in a fanny pack or small backpack.

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know what they say, the best zoom lens in the world is a pair of legs.

I keep my 15-85 on my 50D--yes, obviously that's Canon--most of the time, and often don't bother taking a telephoto unless I'm pretty damn sure I know what I'm after. Call me lazy.

You're seeing the two standard answers to the question here: one super zoom or two standard zooms. Neither is a cure-all especially at the level of standard glass. Since you have the range covered with your duo, don't waste the money buying a super zoom. Take your gear down to your LCS or even dreaded Fry's or another big box, and just see what works best. Although I'd say to just lighten the load and use what you have. If the bag is lighter does it really matter if its just a bit bulkier? Backpacks are great. I hate crap strapped to my waist, for the record.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree! Zoom with your feet. :)

Over the years/decades I've taken hundreds of photos of Las Vegas, particularly at night. I've had great results using the simplest of gear, either a fast prime lens or a moderate zoom, such as the 28-80 Takumar.

I *HATE* carrying around a whole bunch of equipment on a photo walk! The only really specialized thing I remember using in Las Vegas is the Sigma ultrawide for some special shots. I just can't see lugging around a whole bag of gear! I've found I don't need it for LV shots.

Here are just a few of the shots I've taken of LV over the years:

http://omababe.blogspot.com/2009/05/sin-city-nights.html

9. carrie_dave_and_cody

carrie_dave_and_cody Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am planning on taking my 18-55 and my 55-300 for my Nikon. I haven't played with the 55-300 much I just got it for Christmas.

10. tacallian

tacallian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    heh, zoom with the feet but don't bother with primes. Too much time spent foot zooming. :D

11. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zooming with your feet works ok 75% of the time. But, why miss out on the other 25%?

12. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, is that 15-85 the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ? And if it is how do you like it and how does it compare to an "L" series as far as glass and construction?

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:

I don't think anyone is being literal here. But shooters definitely have gotten lazier of late, as with our practices in so many other endeavors.

There's just this absolute obsession, however, with having Trail of Tears long focal length capabilities in a single or even dual package.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been very happy with it. It is a big leap above the cheapo 15-55 (?) kit lens and an improvement over the 17-85 it replaced. The 15-85 feels more solid, smoother in operation, and it's solid for my needs at both ends.

I couldn't bring myself to get the 24-105 L when I swapped out a few years back, and I shoulda, but I love the 135, and used the 2.8/200 in the past on a loaner basis. I guess the rap on L is that not all Ls are created equally and none are as impervious to the elements as Canon would have you believe.

15. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

That's an interesting comment. Couldn't the same be said for digital camera's as a whole?

Simply being, I remember the days of buying 35mm film for my Pentax when I was just out of high school. I was much more thoughtful before pressing the shutter button.

I would also contend that while one person is walking to get the desired shot. I have taken my photo without moving and have started taking my next picture. (again a byproduct of digital)

Many photographers will also point out the option of cropping pictures to get the same effect. To paraphrase Jay Maisel, "I would rather be out shooting, instead of on a computer editing"

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could say that about many technological advancements, I guess. I shot a lot of stuff with film and primes, from nature to auto racing, and don't remember lamenting I didn't have a 15-300. You swapped lenses, you moved around. Sure, in some ways it also is better now.

17. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I wanted something to push me over the edge and finally buy it. There's currently a $100 instant rebate for that lens. I have a prime 135 f2.0 L now and I love it for getting the action at hockey games, and my 28-135 is the standard lens that came with the camera, so I really need a good replacement and the 15-85 look to be the one. It will be the only other lens I buy.

18. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just pointing out that a super zoom doesn't necessarily make someone lazy. It just affords you opportunities take take photos (and more of them) by not being forced to move closer of further away.

There are also some photos that you just can't take with 35mm or 50mm no matter how much you move around. Geography and Security won't allow it.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a quip, like Twain dishing on golf and walking.

Yes, it does open up possibilities. Yes, some shooters are lazy.

Nothing more, nothing less.

20. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use a small Canon bag which houses just the camera and an extra lens.
    The extra battery and memory can fit just about any other place.

The bag is small enough where it fits inside my Pelican case which is my carry on and my wife uses as a foot rest.

The tripod fits inside the checked luggage.

I suggest spending one day for pictures. Having to carry it around all day everyday does wear on you.

I no longer bring the camera and now only carry my phone for pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.