1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Photocopy ID

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by martyn, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martyn

martyn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not long to go now before visiting vega for my sons 21st and not doubt we will be visiting a few bars/clubs

I know they are strict on ID re age and just wondering if photocopy of passport will be sufficient as the last thing i want is for him to loose his original passport or driving licence

2. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I highly doubt they will accept a photocopy. Bring the passport and keep it safe on his person somehow.

3. martyn

martyn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for that..but easier said than done

4. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No club in Vegas will let you use a photo copy. Most are using RFID scanners now, has to be a government issued photo I'D.

5. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every parent thinks their kids will lose their ID and I only know a few cases of it actually happening. It's probably the thing you look after most as you know your night is over if you don't have it. Phones, purses, watches, cars, umbrellas, underwear...my friends and I have lost them all, but I can only remember one friend losing his ID in the last 15 years or so.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have him go to the DMV and say he lost his license and needs a replacement. Fees vary, but they are not outrageous. Here is WI it is $14 for a duplicate.

It usually takes two forms of ID to get a duplicate. He already has a passport, so one more.

Once they mail it to him, you keep it for the trip, if you are that worried.

No offense intended, but if he is turning 21 and you are so worried about him losing things, perhaps Vegas might not be the right city choice.:peace:

7. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, photo copy won't work.

Also as to the duplicate id idea, check state laws, in some places it's a felony to possess the id of another person, family or not

8. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would just have him carry his driver license. Unlike a passport, it is pretty easy to replace if lost. If lost, he is still a licensed driver, and most cases can be verified via laptop in a cruiser. If not lost you save the cost of a replacement.

Jimbo338

9. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure I follow this...but if he gets a duplicate of his ID how is it possessing the ID of another person?

If you do go get another ID make sure you say you lost it...do NOT explain that you want a spare or they will hole punch the old one and it will be invalid. Keep the spare in your room in case he gets to ruckus and loses his primary ID he can still get home

10. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The suggestion was for the op (parent of the 21) year old to carry the spare id, or I misread it.

11. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While in Vegas together...would be like getting a felony for holding your wifes purse

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct, just carry it for him, not using for any form of ID. Safe bet that dad doesn't look 21:poke:

13. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have him carry his license, not his passport. He can carry a photocopy of the passport in case anyone questions the validity of his license. If he loses his license, let him deal with the consequences of that. (Replacing it, paying for that, etc) He is 21, not 12. It's time for the parents to stop clearing a path through life for him.

It just occurred to me - are you US or OUS based? He may have trouble getting into bars with just an OUS license, in which case he may need to have his passport on him.

14. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to the largely unanimous suggestion here, you don't have a choice. Carry the original, get a DL, or don't go.

15. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny thing (?) worried about losing license after visiting a club (drunken debauchery or whatever) I would be more concerned about losing credit card / large amount of cash for the same reasons. Must agree with Joe and others.....he is 21 and attempting to go to an "adult" venue. If you can't trust him to be sane enough to keep up with i.d., put the keys in the safe also....seriously, he may not be ready.

16. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This complete lack of faith in a 21 year old is giving me the creeps for some reason.

17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DL is just fine.

And - it is time to let you child grow up.

18. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the suggestion was to get a duplicate ID of THE SAME PERSON.....but the reality is in most of not all states it is a felony to have a duplicate ID even of yourself

here are some links from a couple of states

http://www.shouselaw.com/id-borrowing.html

photographing, duplicating, or in any way reproducing an identification card so that it is mistakable for a valid I.D. card (or possessing such a card), and

so there is a chance under that if one was to photocopy a passport they could be charged with a felony to start.....I would imagine they would get off on a lesser charge than that since a photocopy would not be easily mistaken for a real passport, but they might beat the charge, but they would not beat the ride downtown for sure

here is from NC

https://edmv-ddl.dot.state.nc.us/DuplicateDriverLicense/Step1

yes does specifically mention commercial drivers licenses (so a CDL driver can get tickets in different places with a different ID and not accrue enough points on one to lose the license)......but is also goes on to state...

By continuing with this transaction, I certify and affirm that the information submitted is my own. I understand that it is a felony violation of North Carolina law, NC G.S. 20-30, to knowingly submit false or fictitious information in any application for a License, Learner Permit, or ID Card, and a violation of Federal Law to have the false or fictitious document delivered by the United States Postal Service.

and when you request a new ID you will specifically be ask why you are making this request was it lost, stolen or destroyed in some form of fashion and if you cannot answer yes to this you will not be getting a new ID and they are not going to accept the future possibility of the loss or theft or destruction of an ID as a valid reason to request one now.....and when they mail you that ID if you have lied and said it has already been lost or stolen or destroyed you will rack up a second felony as well

I don't know of any state that does not harshly view the possession of two forms of the same identification even for the same individual even with everything all matching

19. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm curious as to why losing his license would be so bad? Yes it isn't ideal, but it seems the worst case on the trip is that he can't go into the next bar. Something that would also happen IF they accepted a photocopy and he lost that. Will you be doing the same for his cash/credit card/wallet?

Yes he could lose it. This isn't the end of the world. If he has 2 IDs, take both, keep one in the safe in his room.

20. KingBBInLV

KingBBInLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here, the kid is turning 21 and daddy and mommy are afraid he'll lose his DL or passport!

Some states you can just go online and order a duplicate DL for a small fee.

In NV it's $17 and I got mine delivered to my house in CA within 1 week.

But seriously, your kid is turning 21, stop worrying about petty things like he might lose his ID.

Worry about real things in life like if he's gonna knock up some rando while in Vegas or take too many drugs.

Is he sharing a room at 21 with his parents too while he's in Vegas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.