1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Young Canadians: Driver's License as ID?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by CrazyCanuck, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyCanuck

CrazyCanuck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all. Headed to Vegas for the 7th time on Saturday. I'm 27 and my wife is 25 so we're right on the cusp of being ID'd at tables. Last time we were there 2 years ago we locked our passports in the safe and carried our Alberta (Canadian) Driver's License's for ID. The only problem we had was trying to play at a table a Ceasar's, the dealer said he couldn't accept our driver's license's I called the pit boss over and she rather rudely told us that CET had a policy and didn't accept foreign driver's licenses and we'd have to bring passports to gamble. We left rather upset and walked over to Bellagio where they were happy to let us gamble with Canadian driver's licenses.

This was the only issue we had in a 4 day trip and including play at Paris and Bally's each where they either didn't ID us or allowed our driver's license (can't recall which).

Has any other Canadian, or other foreigner, had issues using a driver's license as ID in Vegas? where was the problem and what did they tell you? Thanks.

2. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Caesars is full of shit. I got a WG after a $2000 win last week at Flamingo and to fill out the tax form my Canadian DRL was just fine. They were being assholes and you were right to leave. Personally I would have asked for someone higher up the food chain than the Pit Boss to clear it up.

My GF and I show our DRL's all the time at almost every property on the strip over the last year and it's not an issue. You should never carry your passport around you anyways while you are drinking in Vegas.

So f+ck em. You did the right thing by leaving but I would have made more of a fuss about things.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  3. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Answer is pretty simple to me, don't gamble at Caesar's! Monge da...... you know!

Jimbo338

4. CrazyCanuck

CrazyCanuck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya it was bulls*&t I could have demanded a manager and told him or her how ridiculous the rule was but I didn't want to waste my time so we promptly walked over to Bellagio instead. Obviously I'm not going to carry my passport around as that's ridiculous. I was just curious if there were any places that were notorious for hassling people on this issue so we could avoid them altogether and not waste valuable gambling minutes fighting with stupid policies. I generally liked Ceasars but that one experience is now prominent in my mind and I doubt we'll go back.

5. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I won a 6 point "firebet" at craps at the Paris which required an IRS form and they took my Canadian DL without any issues. I was taken 30% right away as apples to Americans who got the whole amount but had to declare it.

Canadian DL use the same format/encoding as the US ones. They can read them in their machines when you sign up for player's cards for instance.

6. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Stage Door has turned away Brits.

I just use my DL.

Personally I'd send a generic email to CET's site. If they don't give a clear explanation of the legal reason for this, keep at them until you get a definitive answer.

7. danielao

danielao Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know people are very worried about the possibility of losing a passport, rule of thumb should really be to have it with at all times in a "foreign" country.

It's the best piece of ID you have.

8. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always carry my Canadian passport with me in Vegas, but that being said, all the Player's Clubs want a driver's license to sign you up, so I think that would be your primary form of ID. When I'm there with the kid, she's asked for her ID, and they want her driver's license (whether they can easily read the Manitoban one or not).

For the 1042-S they use you DL as well, for the postal code and address.

I would think you'd be OK with the DL for most interactions that did not involve legal proceedings.

I imagine Caesars has the same problem Florida has- tourists from absolutely anywhere with DLs in foreign languages that are indecipherable to the enforcement, so they try and enforce a blanket passport policy like Florida requires an international DL (evidently now waived for Canadians).

9. pirviii

pirviii Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Foriegn DL

I was behind a guy getting a players card with a Mexico DL and they didn't mind. This was a few years ago, but I wouldn't think things have changed that much.

10. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I arrive in Vegas I lock my passport in the safe and take my driver's licence with me it's always worked for every W2G etc. I am Canadian and have done that for 30 years!

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's confusion about that policy and how it's enforced. I had a CET employee at Bally's refuse to see me a drink saying he wouldn't take my Canadian (Ontario) driver's permit. Another CET employee told me no, they will take a Canadian driver's permit but not other countries. And I had yet another CET employee tell me they take any North American driver's permit-Canada & Mexico but not other countries.

If the employee doesn't know and their immediate supervisor doesn't know and their department head doesn't know....how are we supposed to know?

I started carrying our passports after that. Granted, I'm a chick and I carry a purse, so it's easier for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.