1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any regular (or semi regular) travlers from Washington State?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Todd_Royce_XXL, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd_Royce_XXL

Todd_Royce_XXL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the past 3 years my Wife and I have been planning to move to Las Vegas. We have many reasons for wanting to do that, but not the least of which is that we love going to the strip (though most locals have told me we'd hate it after a while)

Anyway, as we get closer to our move date we've come to the decision that we are instead going to move back home to Washington to be near family (We moved to the East Coast about 4 years ago).

The only way I agreed to this move, instead of Vegas, is if we travel to LV at least once (more like 2-3 times) a year, even if we're just talking weekend getaways.

So I'm wondering if anyone from the Northwest is on here who travels to Vegas frequently and can give me any advice on the cheapest way to go so we can make regular trips down to LV. :beer:

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel 2x a year from Washington State. I usually drive, but I'm a weirdo like that. Plus, I like to visit my parents on the Central Calif. Coast.

Most people around here seem to take Southwest from SeaTac to LV. They seem to have the best rates most of the time.

3. johnnyd75

johnnyd75 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel a couple times a year from SEA --> LAS and I usually take Southwest. Alaska and Virgin America are also reasonable alternatives. If the airfare is really steep, I'll fly into Ontario, CA and drive over. I do have family in Southern California, so I use it as an opportunity to stop in and say hello. My wife and I used to live in Southern California, before we moved to the Seattle area, so we enjoy the desert drive to help dry us out from our soggy climate.

4. Eldon

Eldon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We live in Bellingham and visit LV frequently on Allegiant non-stop out of Bellingham. Cheap rates.

Bellingham is equidistance between Seattle and Vancouver B.C. and close to the San Juan islands.

5. Todd_Royce_XXL

Todd_Royce_XXL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was born in Bellingham and my folks live in Anacortes, so I was really curious about Bellingham airport rates. Thanks, I'll look those up as well :beer:

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are the baggage & other fees like on Allegiant? It's too easy for me to get to SeaTac from my house to go all the way to Bellingham, but I'm still curious.

7. JasmineJo

JasmineJo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We go 1- 2 times per year and sometimes fly Southwest, and often whoever has the best fare. Our trip in August is on Alaska Air, and cost us $360 round trip for two people. I felt that that was a pretty good price.

8. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Allegiant out of the Tri-Cities and I believe it's something like $30 for a bag and $15 for a carry on (roundtrip). I usually choose the assigned seating which is another $25-$30 or so but for my 6'5" frame it's worth getting the exit rows which have twice the legroom.

These are rough figures for my trip this past February which was booked a few months before that. It wouldn't surprise me if those prices have already increased.

9. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alaska also flys out of Bellingham, and with their $99 rate you get a free carry on, and get to pick your seat. Many times this beats Allegiant, even if Allegiants advertised price is significantly less.

To the original question, I fly SEA to LAS about once a month, or every other. I wait for a sale, and then book several trips. I have never paid over $200, and normally pay about $150-$175 RT. If you are flexible and savvy, you can get it down to around $130 on occasion.

10. bsstash

bsstash Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been going down about once a year (but plan on increasing the number of trips). I fly Alaskan every time out of Sea-Tac. The price has always been around $200 usually booking about a month out. I can get away with taking everything I need for my trips, 3-4 days, in a carry-on and a personal item (either laptop case or back pack)

11. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in North Seattle and go to Vegas fairly often, on average, about every other year since I started going. I usually fly Alaska, once SouthWest and once Allegiant. I like Alaska the most.

I have done Allegiant out of Bellingham, and it has its benefits, depending on your locale. If you're equidistant between SeaTac and Bellingham, or even 20-30 miles closer to SeaTac, you may still have a quicker drive to Bellingham due to less traffic, depending on the time (though possibly an issue with the Skagit River Bridge being out.) Parking at Bellingham is usually nicer, and should be a bit cheaper. There is a parking shuttle that seems to be Johnny on the Spot for getting you between the main airport and your car, so don't be afraid to park further out, just remember where.

The airport itself is decent, just very small, which can be nice in the walking around aspect. The TSA people were very nice. They don't have tunnels to the plane from the terminal, so it it's raining, you're out in the rain on the ramp. Also, being so small, it's not as important to get there so early, more like a recommended hour instead of 2. I've heard that lots of people expect to get there about 1/2 hour before at that airport, especially if you live close and the delay factors are less abundant. Checking bags can also be a time factor, we didn't last time I was up there (no carry on bag, even, this was just a "day trip".)

Allegiant itself is OK, though they certainly pack you in the plane, it's pretty crampt, but for a 2.5 hour flight, it might be OK for smaller people (I'm 6', it was pretty tight.) My back did hurt after getting back due to contorting to a sleeping position, but that can happen on any airline. The seats are also stuck in upright, there's no 2" recline.

But, it was cheap! Total price, after taxes, was $260 round trip for 2... on a weekend. One direction was cheaper than the other, even, so if you were really frugal you might even be able to find it cheaper. I see it listed for $39 each way before taxes and fees from time to time.

But, once in a while you see Alaska down to $69 each way, again being flexible with your flight times. And I'm trying to recall, but I think I've seen those rates at both SeaTac and Bellingham; though Alaska usually flies out of Bellingham less often than Allegiant does.

The flight is nice and quick from either SeaTac or Bellingham, though one direction is a bit longer than the other, I want to say the return flight is longer. They're between 2 hours and 2:45 depending on direction, which airport, and wind.

Driving is generally between 18 hours and 22 hours of actual driving, depending on which part of Washington you're in, which route you take, and obviously, how fast you drive (oh, and traffic, especially if you're going through Seattle.) I keep wanting to drive it, but I've found it difficult to justify the extra 2-4 days to do it when vacation (well, non-kid) time is at a premium.

12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I come from Kitsap County and I take the ferry, go over I-90 and cut over to 84 to Twin Falls and stay the night. (Day 1). Twin Falls straight down to Vegas (Day 2). It's a long drive though and I arrive needing a nap. :)

I also did the same route, taking 2 nights. I stayed in Ontario, OR and Ely, NV. It was a much easier drive and if I did it again, I would probably repeat that plan. It allowed me enough time to take a scenic route or even just get out of the car every couple hours and walk around somewhere. The one night option is just car, car, car, all the way there.

13. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've flown out of Portland 3 times in the last 18 months, I keep a close eye on airfare a few months out, usually about 8 weeks out I can get roundtrip air on Alaska for $165-$185/ea.
    Next month my wife and daughter are flying out of SEA, leave Wed and come back Wed, I fly down on Fri and come back with them on Wed. Their airfare is Alaska for $182/ea. I had to get a bit more inventive for mine. Managed a late night SW one way flight down on Fri for $92 and fly back on Alaska for $92.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.