1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Which seats do you choose?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by AcesFull72, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcesFull72

AcesFull72 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For all the people that fly Southwest and travel with your spouse, which two seats do you look for when you board the plane? I understand the window and isle seats are most popular, but do you take those seats leaving an empty seat in between for a stranger or does one of you just take the middle seat?

2. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Window and aisle in the very last row of the plane. Our rate of NOT having someone join us is over 75%

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  3. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aisle and window. If someone winds up needing to take the seat, my girlfriend scoots over and takes the middle seat, giving the stranger the window.

But by starting out with the window and aisle, strangers might avoid sitting there, instead opting for another row that has a window or aisle for them. It costs nothing to bluff.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the SWA flights to and from Milwaukee & Vegas are usually full, but we try anyway. I take the window & my wife takes the aisle, leaving the middle open.

On SWA, they almost always say we "have a full plane", but we try. If someone comes to claim the middle seat, then my wife moves over and that person just scored an aisle seat.

Its only worked twice, but we keep trying. Too many degenerate gamblers in Wisconsin filling up the planes.:wink2:

5. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First choice is ALWAYS an exit row but not being business class we rarely get it.

Second choice is to do just like everyone here said. She takes the window and I take the Isle. If someone does though I will move over to the middle seat since the wife has a strong preference for the window.

If I'm thinking there is a high chance of someone sitting with us I might keep an eye out for someone attractive I might not mind sitting beside and angle for her as a neighbor instead of a lesser alternative :ssst:

6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    whatever is closest to the front

7. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always sit at the back of the plane, aisle seat. The last four trips that I have made to Las Vegas, all flights (outbound and return) were completely full.

8. Pattie

Pattie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We take aisle seats across from each other. I like a window seat but am willing to give up a view to not be mashed in the middle. NS Flights from BWI are always packed so this way we can still talk to each other and neither one of us ends up as middle seat meat.

9. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When traveling by myself, ALWAYS aisle. When traveling with my wife, we start with window (her) and aisle (me), of course to encourage others not to sit with us. If someone does opt to join us, they get the window, as my wife is awesome and continues to let me have the aisle. Have yet to travel with the two youngsters (4 yr old and 16 mth old.)

10. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are not particular as to sitting in the front, middle or back of the plane. We were pretty good at scoring the exit row until Southwest started their Early Bird stuff. It is important, tho, that we sit together. My husband likes a window seat. Since our flights from St. Louis to Las Vegas are always full, I just start out by sitting in the undesirable middle seat next to my husband ~ no use playing the game of "maybe nobody will sit with us."

11. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for adjacent aisles.

12. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This last trip I was b-23 and A-33, both times i got 2nd row window, I cant figure out how people keep heading for the rear when a good seat is right there. One of the flights was full and maybe 5 or 6 people who went all the way to the rear, ended up coming back near the front to get the last few seats.

13. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot an important part of our seat selection process. We also plot and scheme to try our bestest to get seats that aren't near kids! Some parents just don't know how to "parent" and I've had way to many occasions of kids kicking my seat, being noisy, or somehow disrupting my enjoyment of air travel.

14. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife takes the window I take the middle seat if we cannot get a front or exit, always pisses me off when I see two folks leaving a middle seat open so I don't do that to others. Surprisingly we have gotten front row seats three of the last 4 flights, I'll gladly sacrifice leg room and under seat storage for first off the plane.

15. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always try for the co-pilot seat but for some reason it's always occupied....LOL

16. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We both like aisle seats so, since we're not joined at the hip, we take them wherever we find them away from any kids.

17. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take the middle seat while she takes the window seat. Not worth the hassle since the flights are always full. Especially to Vegas.

18. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When traveling with my wife, I employ the same strategy others have mentioned- we sit aisle, window; and if another passenger opts for the middle seat my wife will move and take the middle seat.

When traveling solo, my strategy is:

Assuming the flight isn't full (I check with the desk), I look for a fatso occupying a aisle seat. I will take the window seat in the same row as the fatso. My theory is nobody in their right mind will take a middle seat next to Mr or Mrs Fatso. So far, this strategy has a 100% success rate- the middle seat remains unoccupied.

19. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's genius right there. I've never heard of that strategy.

20. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For years Mike took the window and I sat in the middle...Now that I am not such a chicken shit on the plane...Mike takes window and I take aisle. We haven't had an empty seat on our plane in a number of years now. Whoever wants to sit between us is welcome to. We both have ipods, earphones , food and try to sleep....we don't have to speak to one another. It is a 5-6 hour nonstop for us, so any nap time is welcome. I had gotten to the point of feeling claustrophobic in those middle seats. The freedom of my arm or leg being able to stretch out into the aisle once in awhile is worth more than sitting next to my sleeping husband.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.