1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping has gone to the dogs.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasVegan, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasVegan

VegasVegan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I order a couple pizzas online from Dominoes for in-store pickup and pre-paid with my credit card. Easy Keezy.

When I arrive at the store to pick up my pizzas, they shove a receipt with a line for a tip. What?! You want a tip for handing me a couple pizzas at the counter?

No.

2. ButterflyMtn

ButterflyMtn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't tip if I pick up but I do see more places with the tip line on it that don't even deliver..I guess Dominos has the same system for in-store or delivery so yeah the tip line will be there but when I go to a fast food place that has a tip line I never tip...wonder when McD's will start doing this?

3. Kickin

Kickin Flea

That's normal. I don't know about Dominos but I get take-out all the time and they have that line just because they use the same receipt whether its dine-in, delivery, or take-out. It doesn't mean you're expected to tip.

4. vegas3

vegas3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will leave money at Pei Wei because they are helpful at the one I go to and keep the place nice and clean.

Not for pickup pizza....no way.

5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone has their hand out. I like when 7-11 hits you up on if you would like to "donate" your change. Yeah right, I can really see that change going to somewhere needy (besides their own pocket). They don't even designate where it is going......................

6. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My local discount movie theater has a line for tips on the snack bar receipt. I put a line through it, re-total the same, and slide it back......They also have tip jars on the counter.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the flip side, I took the family to the movies to see Iron Man 3 the other day and after spending like $60 on popcorn, candy, soda, etc. I tried to give the nice young lady who helped us a $5 and she politely told me "her personal policy is not to accept tips." Wha? Uhhhh OK...

8. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could it be that their credit card system is programmed to print out with that line for a gratuity? I know at my salon it prints out on every ticket - even if I just stop by to pick up hairspray.

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    uhhhh what's the big deal? all restaurant POS systems print out a receipt with a line for a tip.

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only time I've really been offended by it was when I went to a place that added an automatic gratuity for parties of all sizes that was listed as a line item on the itemized receipt, and then the credit card slip not only had the total (including automatic gratuity) with a tip line below it, but a "suggested gratuity" guide with 18%/20%/22% calculated out based on the total INCLUDING THE AUTOMATIC GRATUITY. Unreal.

11. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was surprised to hear a clerk at Starbucks say that they made very good tips. All those leftover coins must add up.

12. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is what it boils down to (I would say most, not all restaurants). For something simple (pizza, wings, etc) I leave the tip/total lines blank and just sign my name at the bottom. If I'm picking up a full meal (salads, sides, entrees), I'll usually tip about 10%, since there is some work involved to get everything in the proper containers, separate hot and cold, etc.

13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As an aside, it's good practice to put a line through the tip prompt and write out the total. It's similarly a good idea to put a dollar sign before the amount of the tip and the total. I.e., if you're leaving a ten dollar tip on a thirty dollar check for a total of forty dollars, write $10 / $40, as opposed to 10 / 40. Basically, it's a guard against some unscrupulous server changing your amounts.

14. shawn s

shawn s Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember a long time ago the lady at the buffet at Bally's told me the same thing. Then she told me to pack the cash sticking out of my purse down in there so as not to draw attention to it. Real sweet motherly lady lol.

15. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get my winshield wiper blades at Advance Auto Parts

They install them free,saves me some grief .Yesterday the guy put on a new set and I offered him $2 for coming out and installing them. He turned me down saying 'You spent enough today". People from NY and NJ are good tippers overall ,at least thats what I've always been told by people in the service industry.

16. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The thing that drives me wild in a restaurant is when you have a bill for $8.97 and hand the slip to the server with a $20 bill and they look at you and ask you if you want change. Before you tell me that they say it in case you don't have singles or small bills, if I need small bills I would ask for then when I hand them the bill and I always carry $20 in small bills in my wallet .....just in case.

On the other hand, one thing that really impresses me:

We took my daughter out for dinner after her junior presentation (recital for musical performance major) at college. She wanted to go to Applegy's so we entered , were seated, given menus and then our waitress took our orders, my wife, my daughter, her best friend, my oldest boy and finally me. After I finished my order I said, "You didn't write anything down!" "No, she said, I'm good for eight". She never asked anyone to repeat anything, and when dinner arrived it was perfect down to the last drink, roll, salad, etc. If I needed an employee, she would have been offered a job on the spot. I hope they appreciate what a good waitress and good worker she was. I did!

Jimbo338

17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the tip calculated on the total including tax? Sometimes the sales tax can be 6% to 10% and I base my tip on the pre-tax amount. Like the Third Rock From The Sun episode, I start out at 20% and if the service is poor, I deduct from there.

18. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. You do not tip on Uncle Sam's cut.

19. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that right there is an automatic deduct in the tip usually 5% at least if not more.....it is worse when they have the check folder and do not even look in it and pick it up and ask if you want change.....no honey I was going to let you keep the rest of that $50 for a $20 dollar tab :rolleyes2:

they might as well just ask "are you going to leave me a tip?".......servers that ask if you want them to bring you the change should be fired on the spot, but restaurant management is so horrible they don't even train at most of them anymore it seems like

the proper thing to say of course if you are going to say anything is "I will be right back with your change" then the customer can say "that is ok keep it"

and yea bringing back change in the form of 2 twenties ect. for a check that was barely $20 results in another trip to the register for them or they need to reach in their change pocket and break that as well and can probably expect a tip deduct as well especially if they act the slightest put off....or if everything was just bad overall they might get the coins and the 2 singles or the $5 even if that is less than 10%

for those that wish tipping in sit down restaurants would go away all you need to do is look at how bad the service has become already and how poorly staff is trained or sticks to their training if they get any to realize that sit down dining would be a disaster without tipping to at least keep the waitstaff a bit on their toes....imagine the attitude and service quality of someone that fishes for tips with the "do you want your change" line of they were just working straight wage :vomit:

20. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tip is supposed to be calculated on the pre-tax amount. What drove me nuts about the place I mentioned was that the grand total on the itemized receipt included the meal, auto-gratuity, and tax, and then the credit card slip had calculations for suggested gratuities based on that grand total.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.