1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Maggianos

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by schwaiguy, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to let this slide, but even though I was in Vegas just last week, I've still been craving good Chinese and Italian. And Bourdain is in Naples.

During that trip, we went to Maggianos. It was bad. It was amateur hour. I could have made better at home. It was so bad, I wanted to circle it and send it back on the credit card bill. My lasagna was WEAK, and my wife didn't even finish the chef special which was crab, lobster,and shrimp.

Did we go on an off day?

My brother-in-law who is Italian and whose family went to Bravo Cucina on a weekly basis swears by it.

I enjoy many types of Italian food from chains to immigrant trattorios that would make you wet your pants. Once, I went to Johnny Carino's 12 weeks in a row. On our last trip, we went to Trevi in Caesar's Palace and Valentino in Venetian/Pallazzo. Both were exceptionally good. Then, the Magianos trip.

I'm just writing because it doesn't seem to fit--even if you consider a palate sophisticated by frequent Vegas food trips. My wife won't even let me go back, and I don't want to, especially considering we can go to Rao's for not much more.

Has anyone had a good experience there?

schwaiguy

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We wrote off the joint long ago.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go 4-6 times a year with a group of 20... I love it!!! Never been disappointed... sorry your meal was lousy. That suxs when you look forward to something and its bad!

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First we have never been to Maggianos, but we have been to Bravo in our local area. It's decent. but there are so many locally owned Italian restaurants here, we don't go there often. Honestly, usually on the ride back home from the airport, a few times per year.

But I am curious, are you just throwing Bravo out as a benchmark for chain Italian restaurants? Never had a bad meal there, just wondering.

We have also never been to an Olive Garden.

5. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to the LV Maggianos before. It's probably been 5+ years. Nothing sticks out in my mind as memorable either way. Only reason I haven't been back is that my trips have been shorter and shorter lately, and there are too many other favorites that I have to hit during those trips.

Wouldn't hesitate to go to one of these in another location. I've been to them in IL several times.

6. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,

Bravo's as good as any other.

I live out in the woods of New Mexico, and the food is simultaneously really bad and overpriced. Though there may be a few rare exceptions, you pay double for what you would pay in Vegas for the best ramen or pho you ever had in your life for literal garbage which should be sent back to the kitchen and thrown away. We could actually have good Mexican here, but they have to flavor their food to New Mexican standards. The best restaurant 2 hours in any direction is Golden Corral or Sizzlers. I purposely do not spend any money here eating out, knowing it could be put to better use anywhere else.

In particular, there aren't many good East Coast or Italian restaurants in New Mexico. When you find one, in a city two hours away, you put the owners in your will. Many of the options are so bad, you get pissed off when you eat there. That was how I felt at Maggianos. And it was doubly ironic because Trevi, Raos, Verandah, Valentino, and Mario's restaurants were all within walking distance. Hell, Grimaldis was in the same mall and would have been fantastic.

Given my location, I consider myself lucky to have Bravo, Zio's, or even Olive Garden accessible (2.5 hour drive). Would I go to Bravo, Zio, or Johnny Carino's in Vegas? No. In the closest city, ABQ, my go to Italian is trattorio called Torinos. Their duck confit salad with homemade goat cheese was so good, I literally yelled eating it. While I prefer to go there, I consider myself lucky to have access to those chains--chains which any normal person in any normal place would take for granted.

schwaiguy

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  7. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never eaten at the Vegas Maggiano's, but I have dined at a couple of the Chicagoland locations numerous times. IMO its average at best, below average when you factor in the price. There are tons of places in Chicago where you can get better Italian food for less money. In Vegas, my two favorites are Rao's and Martorano's.

8. crappie_man

crappie_man Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went there once. They forgot my order of lasagna. Then they burnt it. Finally the manager stood by the oven while it was made. The meal was free, but it was NOT worth 2 hours of my time waiting for it.

9. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Martorano's--from a Chicago-ite, no less. I'll have to look into this.

I know I'd never get into Rao's in NY.

Verandah was one of the best meals I ever ate. Valentino's was one of the best since then.

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went to the Magggiano's in Philly, the red sauce was burnt and it was on everything, why would they serve it? I could make better sauce from scratch out of a Fanny Farmer cookbook.

11. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a big fan of carbonara dishes, and Martorano's version with bucatini pasta may be the best I've ever had. Meatball and salad is a great starter (figure one order for every two people at the table.

From what I've read, you have to be famous, politically connected, or know one of the "table owners" to get into Rao's NY. At least there's Rao's Vegas for the rest of us! :thumbsup:

12. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm Viva Las Vegas, and I approve of the quoted posts above.

Live in Chicago, went once (wasn't my choice). Dozens of better Italian restaurants in Chicago. Would never consider going to in Vegas.

13. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had to attend an appriciation dinner at the Las Vegas location last spring. We had an open bar, full run of all appetizers and dessert. Several choices were available for entries. It was not bad food but it was not great. I chalk it much the same as Buca, pedestrian. Your chances of having a bad meal are dependent upon the staff that night. If service or kitchen it is slightly off, you meal is going to go from "meh" to yuck real fast. Our group was pretty large and they had a full contingent of staff catering to us so it was "meh."

14. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a chain restaurant, was it supposed to be exciting? I always thought it was pretty good. I've been there a few times when we were shopping at the mall.

15. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maggianos is not a "good" restaurant. It is a step above Olive Garden, basic red sauce Italian. It satisfies the "I want familiar food at low prices" crowd and that is about it. If you like that, great. If you are expecting more, you'll be disappointed.

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was starting to feel a bit "out of step" with my positive comments about the place, so checked YELP... It's got a solid 4 stars, so at least I don't feel lonely anymore.

17. Srvanwyk

Srvanwyk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eaten it a 3 times each time it seemed to be less impressive

18. kiwiboy1

kiwiboy1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Compared to Olive Garden it's gourmet! Otherwise it's solid, unimpressive food. Eaten there 4 or 5 times around the country on various business trips. It's exactly what I expect from a chain. Totally average in every possible way. I would never recommend it and I would never tell anyone NOT to go. If you are hungry the unlimited family style is a good way to try a bit of everything.

19. Snickers

Snickers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time we were thee is was a nice meal for a reasonable price. A nice break walking the Strip and doign some shopping int he area. Worth a try but not a date destination per se.

20. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had their veal chop and it was very good. Olive garden is terrible! "thats where the Mafia goes to hide, because everybody knows no Italians go there":beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.