1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MacBook Air/Pro users?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About time for a new laptop. Going back to the Kool-Aid trough. Was thinking Pro since this would be my everyday computer and illogical or not, I am somewhat concerned with an ultralite. But I do like the weight savings. What do users of either or both have to say about their experiences.

Please keep in mind my three realities: I write, I surf, I travel. I don't game or otherwise use it as an entertainment center.

Thanks all.

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    all I can say is Samsung Series 9. best purchase ever.

3. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on your three realities, it sounds like the Air would be a good fit.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro, but I only got the Pro because I like to play around with video editing and wanted the extra horsepower for that.

My Longest Trip Ever
  4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken - I don't speak Apple, but my boss has used the Air as his primary/only computer for many years - mainly because of the travel he does (he spends 3-4 months traveling for work and/or working in Tanzania). He writes, he surfs, he skypes. I think he might use other MS products (he'll do powerpoint presentations or look at a budget in excel) but he's not a gamer or doing anything heavily graphics focused. He's never complained the Air doesn't do what he needs.....

5. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd go with the air. Get the 13", 11" is too small for everyday use.

I replaced my '09 own MBP with a 13" air and I have a fairly new MBP as my company laptop and I wish that was an air as well.

I wouldn't go lower than 128GB and you can buy an external HDD or CD drive quite cheap if you need either.

6. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Macbook Pro and Air lines are due for an update within the next couple months. If you can hold off it's worth waiting til thise come out. One advantage of the 11" air is that it doesn't need to come out of your bag at the airport scanners. I think price + portability of the air trumps the power and upgradability of the pro.

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many thanks. This Lenovo will roll along a bit longer, so I'll see what comes with the new release and let 'em get the early bugs sorted out and then make the switch. Hell, maybe I'll get rid of my iPhone 3 one of these centuries, too.

8. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

I have a pro, daughter has an air, if and when I go to my next one, I am going to an air. The reality is, the pro is more than I need. I am not a gamer, I don't video edit, I don't do photoshop, I don't do anything that uses a lot of HP.

an air would do fine for a regular user

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I have both, a 2011 Mac Air 13" and a new 15" Pro w/ retina display. I love the portability of the Air, I often have to look inside my briefcase to know if it's in there or not. I got the 15" Pro for the internet browsin', but it's waaaaay more than I need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.