1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Did Caesars take over Frontier Airlines?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by sammasseur, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frontier used Caesar's "you-asked-for-resort-fees" nonsense when discussing their new baggage fees:

http://gma.yahoo.com/airlines-gone-nuts-more-fees-175927189--abc-news-travel.html

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the reasons SWA drove Frontier out of Milwaukee. They are now down to ~2 flights per day out of MKE.

Really, can you get angry at SWA charging a fee for a no-show. I can't. It makes perfect sense to me that if you don't show up for a flight and don't contact them, there is going to be a fee to pay.

3. jvferg72

jvferg72 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why does it make sense to charge a no show extra when they already paid for the ticket? The airline is saving money on it because of reduced weight.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Small weight reduction vs. reselling that seat. Maybe I'm wrong. but it makes sense to me to charge a fee if you don't show.

Just a fyi, with SWA the old policy was you didn't lose the ticket if you didn't show, it was credited back to your account. New policy is they are going to charge you a fee if you don't show.

I'm not a fan of airlines, but it makes perfect sense to me.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would forfeiture be a better policy? It's not a penalty on top of a lost ticket. All SWA is asking is that people now call ahead before missing a flight.

I've flown Allegiant once, and it just sucks, it's like a Greyhound with GE jet engines on it. Allegiant has one route I could use quite often, and it would take away the hassle of driving hours to SJC or LAX. I simply don't like the way they do business. I am an aware consumer and I just choose otherwise.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because the ticket still has value. If they had to throw away the ticket, then no issue.

Because SWA is so easy and lets you use the value of that ticket towards another, people would not bother to cancel. Then SWA flies with an empty seat.

7. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, as a Milwaukeean, I still miss Midwest Express airlines. That was a great flying experience.

Sadly, Frontier bought them out and ruined what was left.

One of my favorite Vegas trips started on one of the final Midwest flights, where I was able to upgrade to a "best care" seat.

Frontier kept the freshly-baked cookies for a while, but they have turned into Spirit.

I just pray Southwest can maintain some level of service to dear old KMKE.

8. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was talking to one of my coworkers in the office about Frontier this week and he mentioned the policy. Adding to what Ken mentioned, imagine having to deal with those who rarely fly and are picking up a cheapo Frontier seat, much like Alligiant flying demographic. Then Ma and Pa arrive at the airport with carry-ons only to learn Frontier plans to stick them with $100 per. The regular flying folks are going to have to listen to them scream/yell at the gate agents, then they stumble around looking confused. It's just not worth the hassle to fly the less expensive fare.

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right. And at the airport when you don't show are people who want your seat. It's a huge hassle for the other customers and for the airline trying to figure out if you are coming or if the seat is actually free. You don't lose any money if you end up needing to change your schedule and the adult thing to do is to simply cancel the reservation. No one blinks an eye when hotels do the same thing. I think a no show fee is a reasonable policy when other airlines are charging $200 change fees.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get this policy. If you don't want people to book your airline third party, why are you frickin' selling your tickets third party? Some of the most popular airlines can only be booked direct and if it costs that much to deal with Expedia and Orbitz, follow a different business model!

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also miss Midwest, but as the old saying goes, you can't go home again.

With a market share now approaching 68% of the flights out of Milwaukee, SWA can do almost anything thing they want. I believe Frontier (the old Midwest) is down to two flights per day out of MKE. Sad to walk by the darkened check-in area and see no one, at least when we fly SWA times.

My point is that I think SWA has an excellent business model, but with that much market share at one airport, I'm sure prices are going to rise out of Milwaukee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.