1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

LeThai, DuPars and Cafe Cortez

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Jimbo338, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wanted to find LeThai while downtown, and there it was, right across from El Cortez. I walked over but they are closed on sundays. Monday was my last full day and it didn't fit in with me having to use up my free buffet at the Golden Nuggett. That's what next year is for, right? I have never hd Thai food, not sure if I'd like it. I like chinese food but not real spicy stuff. I also wanted to try the pancakes at DuPars but that didn't work out for me either. I did try the breakfast at El Cortez at Cafe Cortez. I ordered the standard breakfast. 2 eggs, toast, bacon or sausage, breakfast potatoes as they call them for 6.25. Coffee is 1.75. It was a great meal. Eggs were perfect, toast just the way I like it and buttered,not dabbed, crispy bacon and home fries fresh and perfectly cooked.....all nice and hot. This is my standard breakfast out and I seldom get all of what I like. Potatoes are the toughest....seems like everyone likes theirs a little different. It was so good I had it again the next day as well.

I mentioned that I ate the prime rib special at the California as I do every year and it was supurb this year and I tried their 16 oz T=Bone which did not disappoint either. I went for the dinner buffet which came with my Gordi Brown ticket. The buffet hall was gorgeous....too bad you couldn't eat it. The food was poor. Lots of fancy stuff with foreign names but I am not lying when I say I can remember better buffets at cIRCUS cIRCUS. Reg. Price would have been 18.99......that would have killed me. It was a real disappointment, considering how good less expensive buffets are at the Fremont, or MSS. Gee, not enough meals in a long weekend......to be continued in feb.

jimbo338

2. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do give LeThai a try. Consider "awesome noodles". Very tasty.

They ask you how spicy you want it on a 1 to 5 scale. I asked for 2, and it was plenty spicy for me.

When I visited, I knew that it got crowded at lunch, so I arrived early at 11:00 a.m. Unfortunately, it did not open until 11:30 a.m.

DuPars does have good pancakes. Their eggs, etc., are okay -- but the Cafe Cortez actually sounds better. Also, be aware that the ambiance at DuPars is like an old roadside diner.

3. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the same experience with GN buffet at breakfast. Even when they give me free buffet tickets I prefer to eat elsewhere. Le Thai is definitely worth a try. Go for 1 on the 1-5 scale. Even a 1 isn't bland, and it's a goos starting point in case you find the spice too much. Also, if you order a Thai Iced Tea or Thai Iced coffee it will help clear your palate from the spice.

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the advice, Robert. It will be a definite "to do" for next trip. Is "awesome noodles" the dinner or just an a la carte? I think a 1 or 2 would give me an idea.

Jimbo338

5. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    atom;
    I am glad it wasn't just me at the GN. Kind of reminds me of 2 weddings. I was best man for a good friend. His father-in-law was a cardiac surgeon in a major US city and the reception which wasn't cheap or in a VFW hall. There was a champagne fountain (I hate champagne) and the meal came with toothpicks stuck in it, one piece of cheeze at a time. Some years later I was invited to a buddy's wedding. His father-in-law was a janitor at a private school, and the reception was at a dining hall there after the service in the chapel. Everyone had a sit down steak dinner!

Who wants to pay a fortune for a tiny portion of something in a 13" plate that looks wonderful with a sprig of parsley and a shaved walnut? Plenty of folks I guess, I'll just wallow in my mundane dining habits and enjoy a large salad with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cauliflower, cukes, onion, and some coutons......no cheese, please.

Jimbo338

6. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely give Le Thai a try - was one of my best meals on our last Vegas trip. I had the spicy eggplant with perfect brown rice. A superb meal in a bustling little joint with fast and friendly service!

7. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really enjoyed Le Thai as well, ate there with the family. Had waterfall beef (or something like that) for an appetizer, the kid had Pad Thai (3) and I had some pork dish (2), and my meal was spicier than hers. I'll try something at (4) this trip; I'd rather cry from chilis than slot losses. They also have a blackboard with the daily specials, drink and otherwise. I'm not entirely sure $1 sake shots is a good thing, but I'll be there alone this trip, so no worries.

The pancakes at DuPars are very good, too.

8. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear so many positive tesimonials; that's usually a good sign. See, I'm planning my next trip already, and I've only been home 2 days!

Jimbo338

9. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree completely. Bacon and eggs is probably as simple and standard as breakfast gets, but the El Co Café's is always way above average.

10. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Turtleman:Gold Spike puts out a good standard breakfast with has browns instead of breakfast fries, as they call the home fries at EC. Both are good but I like the breakfast fries a bit more,and though GS is a few cents cheaper, EC serves 4 slices of bacon instead of the 2 or 3 at GS. I do like the toast at GS better though. Now the 24/7 ham and egg special at GS was a great deal at $4.99. That slice of ham was huge! Now we will have to wait and see if the servings and/or prices change when it reopens as a bar and grill.

See, another plan for my next trip; the list keeps growing, maybe I'll have to add another day!

Jimbo338

11. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I remember correctly, "awesome noodles" was one of the entrees on the lunch menu.

Although I cannot remember the price, it was not expensive.

12. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Found the menu on Yelp.

Awesome noodles with chicken is $15.

13. walylama

walylama Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love love love spicy food and especially Thai. That being said I had the Awesome flat noodles Tue and a full 5 and I don't think many people would enjoy them much hotter than that. I'd suggest a 3. Bummer you missed out Jimbo.

14. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

spicy eggplant and brown rice. Now, we're talking.

15. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't wait to eat at Le Thai this year, just been reading about it online and it sounds incredible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.