1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Worth getting a host?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by nazvb07, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nazvb07

nazvb07 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying at the Cosmo for 6 nights in June, will be brining about $5,000 for gambling. Booked through Southwest.com so I know I can't get anything knocked off the rooms.

Is it worth calling a host ahead of time and describing my play to see if I can get anything upfront? Even one dinner would be fine. I play blackjack, at about $30/hand, about 4 hours/day. 2% edge means about $650 THEO, so, I could expect about $260 in comps back.

Also, my girlfriend will be playing at the same level, will they combine our play?

Thanks!

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not at $30/hand. A host can't do anything for you at that level. What's the point in bringing 5k if you're playing that low anyway?

Also BJ has about a 0.5% HA so the theo you can expect is 1/4 what you thought.

3. jrp227

jrp227 Formerly KingJasonSlots on YT :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play several times more than that and have never been given food up front aside from monthly marketing promos. They can always review your play at the end though and see what they can do.

4. AceTen

AceTen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to play similar to you, and I never heard anything from a host. It wasn't until I started playing in the hundreds per hand that I had a bit of interest. Doesn't hurt to try though!!

5. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the others - you are not going to get any upfront comps by calling the host this trip.

Just charge everything to your room, and perhaps you will get a little something on the back end - but not much at that average bet.

If your play is good enough, perhaps you will get an offer for the next trip.

6. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, everyone here is right. No need to call ahead -- you'll get nothing for it.

So charge stuff to your room and see what you can get at the end. The key to getting anything while betting $30 is to make sure you actually get rated. This is not an issue at $100 a hand, but when you get down around $25 a hand it's a big issue. My brother got way under-rated in terms of hours on our recent trip while playing that level. The only explanation is that they simply didn't rate him for some of his play. So if you intend to get what you have coming, you want to make sure you're getting rated.

Do this by engaging with the pit boss when you get up from the table, and/or check regularly with the cardholder services desk throughout the trip to see what they've got you for.

Also, don't sit down at a table and start betting $15 a hand and then raise it to $40 a hand and assume you're getting an average of $30. When the pit boss sees you lay down $15, they may simply not rate you and miss your later play.

7. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you earn anything it will be taken off on the back end.
    at 30$ a hand they dont blink there .
    i was there late on a saturday and the highlimite table miniums where double deck at 500 $ a hand and 6 deck at 300 $ a hand and this was 3 am.

if you more up to 100 $ or up you can ask for some meals they pretty easy giving 2 for 1 buffets there.

8. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have said don't expect anything including a host. I am a $50 a hand at CET properties and that doesn't get a host and I would not expect/want one at that level.

If you get your ass kicked and dump the full 5g's ask at the end of your trip if you can get anything off your bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.