1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Skycap?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Tammy58, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not even sure if that is what you call him/them. The people outside the doors at the airport where you can dump your luggage. We have never used them and considering it this trip. We have 2 elderlies with us and I have hyperextended my knee recently :grrr: so considering having the husband drop us at our nearby airport curbside and getting rid of the luggage. Is there a cost or is it just a tip, if so...I don't believe after all these years and threads I have read I am asking this, how much?

I have one of those husbands who thinks he is OJ Simpson booking it from the parking garage hauling luggage over to the check in desk...forgetting that the rest of us can't keep up with him.

I am assuming just give them the conf # and they tag/take your luggage just like inside.

2. tizzy

tizzy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they are just like a ticket person at the regular check in desk inside the airport. They work on tips, so I usually just tip $5 for a couple bags and if they are bigger bags and heavier I will tip $10. I have gotten away with my bag being overweight by just tipping an extra couple bucks. You still have to have your I.D. and confirmation number or paper tickets to use the Skycap. They take care of everything for you and issue you your tickets then off you go to the gate like normal.

3. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used them. If you're moving a family of four from overseas to the US or vice versa, they are a godsend. I think $5 a bag is about standard for a tip, capping it out at $20 if it all fits on one guy's cart. That's for the guy who carries your bags inside.

For the curb check guys, I'd go with about half that tip.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly outta Reno to Las Vegas and generally have a roller-bag that fits very nicely in the overhead bin. However, I prefer to hand it over to the skycaps (that's what I call 'em) curbside along with a $5 and let them check it thru to Las Vegas or wherever I may be going. I also pick-up my printed boarding-pass documents from them as well, though certainly that can be done just as easily at home.

I notice that most people tip anywhere from $2 to $5 per bag. I prefer to travel as light as possible through the airport, carrying just my laptop briefcase. Very, very seldom do I have to wait more than a few minutes for the bag on the Vegas end, so this convenience doesn't hinder the speed at which I can exit the airport much at all.

5. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they are available at the airport (not at my local), I'm using them. Lines are usually a lot shorter. I tip $5 for two bags.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.