1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas to cali?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by slamminchic_25, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slamminchic_25

slamminchic_25 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    has anyone done a day trip from vegas to cali. have never rented a car before, not sure how to go about that. whats the average for the gas trip there???

2. etm117

etm117 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends where in Cali you want to go. For example, to get to Baker in Cali it is about 75 minutes from Vegas, but there isn't much to do there. Now to get to the ocean, say Manhattan Beach it is about 4 hours (or more depending on LA traffic)

That is a long day trip if you need to turn around and drive back the same day. Yet it isn't too bad. If you get going around 6am, you could spend spend about 8 hours around LA area and get back into Vegas around midnight.

If you pay attention to the travel deal sites, you can probably get a 1-day rental car for $30-$50 for the day. And figure about $100 for gas to get to LA and back assuming you get a rental with reasonably good MPG.

The above are just guesses, but should get you started.

3. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I like your username, so I'll give it a go.

California is a very big state, so where are going? You can rent a car at the airport or at some of the major tourist hotels. LA is about 3 1/2 hours as I recall. Of course, if you hit rush hour it can be a lot longer.

P.S. etm117 answered it better than me!

4. slamminchic_25

slamminchic_25 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    were thinking of leaving quite early 5 or 6, and going to venice beach for sure, maybe hollywood, calabasis (yes i wanna stalk the kardashians haha or their store). not really sure what there is to see, or whats a must since theres so much. i know itll suck doing just the day trip but we cant afford to spend the night there unless we sleep in the car haha

5. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did this. 3-4 hours driving to LA. Did some business. Went to Oroncho Ramen and Phillipes. Tried to find Judo Gene's and Gokor's gym, but it was moved. Watch out for the North Hollywood traffic--it's killer!

I just got an e-mail from priceline for, "$5.25+/day Car Deals Without Bidding!". If you do, rent out of the airport and shuttle there and back from your hotel.

schwaiguy

6. CosmoM

CosmoM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5 or 6 AM is a good time to leave.

There are plenty that sleep in Palisades Park in Santa Monica right next to Venice, but I don't think you'll like that much - homeless.

You can sleep in LAX on the Landside (no need to get past security) for free except for airport parking, but you'll want items for comfortable sleeping on the floor. Look on sleepinginairports website.

I know some that have done the one-day round-trip before (LA to Vegas), but they were not sight seeing, and If you were born in 1925 I think you may have a bit of a problem.

Cheers

7. Cinwhim

Cinwhim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did an ovenight trip in 2009. Left on Saturday morning around 6 am and got into Mailbu around lunch time. We had rented a convertable for the whole time in Vegas, so was a great trip. We drove up the 101 along the ocean into Oxnard, then back to LA and drove around Route 66 and stayed in a wigwam. It was a lot of running around but was a great way to get away from Vegas for a bit.

It was so much fun that we did it again 2 years later and stayed in California for 3 days. This year we will be in Vegas for 5 nights and 6 in California, flying home from California. :-D

You could do it in a day but man would you be tired of driving. Renting a car is pretty easy as long as you are over 25 and have a credit card, or a debit card with enough money for a deposit. Even under 25 you can rent, it's just more expensive. There is a lot of information on this board about renting a car. :)

8. slamminchic_25

slamminchic_25 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am over 25 and do have a credit card but its only a 500 limit lol n the hotel deposit is going on it. How much deposit do they need? My debit is a Canadian one that doesn't work in the states boo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.