1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Audit: Las Vegas taxis overcharged $15 million on airport trips

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Boogaloo, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/audit-las-vegas-taxis-overcharged-15-million-airport-trips

To put this into perspective a little bit, assuming that about a quarter of Clark County drivers are consistenly long-hauling people, that would mean them getting about about $7000 in overcharges per driver per year. That's anything but chump change.

Imagine if there was another profession that consistently did this, say a quarter of sales clerks at cash registers consistently short changing customers and putting the difference in their own pockets.

Not that the Taxi companies or the Taxi Authority end up sounding very good in the report either:

2. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My hosts typically send a limo for me to the airport. However, when I got into town last thursday I unexpectedly took an earlier flight and had to take a cab. I told the driver to take me to The Plaza. He immediately asked if I wanted to take the Interstate since "with all the traffic it will be much faster". It was 11:30 on a Thursday morning and there was NO Traffic. So, I told him that he could long haul me by taking the tunnel, but I would have my report rsrt submitted to the Taxi Authority before he even got out of the tunnel. Needless to say we didn't go interstate. Apparently, cabbies lie about the best route in order for their fare to agree to be long hauled.

3. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Come on, they wouldn't do that. . . :kill:

4. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go
    Lol! I mean they can then tell the Taxi authority that the fare asked specifically to go the tunnel/Interstate. In other words they were simply following the instructions of the customer. Gives them an excuse as to why they screwed the fare.

5. JimboS

JimboS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got charged $23 from the airport to MGM once. I stayed away from taxis for 3 years.

6. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man I got screws twice! $40 w/o tip to go from the airport to the Grand Chateau and $45 w/o tip to go from the airport to downtown!

I took a limo once to the Bellagio from the airport and he took us up and down the strip twice and it was only $75 INCLUDING TIP!! With Champagne! Should have just taken a limo every time

So is the consensus do NOT elect to take the interstate?

7. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Typically, that is the faster route downtown, but more expensive. Depends on what your priorities are.

8. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So in other words, they overcharge at about the same annual rate as an average room offered on the Strip circa 2013 (300 occupied days per year X $25 resort fee = $7,500 per room per year).

If that is not enough, most airlines now conveniently add $25-$50 + bag fee(s) for each Vegas visitor arriving via the "friendly skies".

All done, of course, for our collective convenience.

I stick with carry-on only (save $50 RT), if I'm not picked up at the airport I take the WAX or shuttle (save $50 RT), and I have cut out most resort fee stays (save $25 X 12 or $300), or the equivalent of my typical non food costs (flight if not using miles, non comped rooms, drink / maid tips) for the trip.

:beer: X $400

9. OnTheHorizon

OnTheHorizon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been long-hauled to DT before. A cabbie actually REFUSED to take the route I suggested (per a post on here). I never tipped him.

10. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, waiting 10 minutes for the shuttle doesn't look so bad now! And you know exactly what it costs you whether it's to MGM or the Stratosphere . What could be better? Only the WAX (1.00 FOR US OLD GUYS)!

Jimbo338

11. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wow.

Demon, I'm still trying to figure out what they did to run up a $45 fare from the airport to DT. That is heinous. Taking the highway is usually about $35, and the local streets about $25. I long for a world where Vegas cab drivers could just be honest. Then there wouldn't be whole forums devoted to how they rip you off. Of course, I also long for world peace and shit like that :peace:

12. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So in case it wasn't obvious before now, everybody now knows why they long haul and will continue to do so.

13. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have actually had some good cab rides in vegas. 99% of them are good.

The most I ever paid was when I insisted on not taking the freeway but the side streets. Got caught up in construction and waiting for a long time while the meter was running.

14. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Time to push for flat rates between downtown/airport & strip/airport.

It's common in other big cities to do something like this. Clearly there's a problem that needs to be fixed.

15. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fixed rate would be good, though I imagine it will be a little higher than the average price now - as drivers will argue that sometimes traffic is tight.

16. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I must say when I was in NOLA I enjoyed the flat rate. It was nice to know how much I was going to pay and that the cabbie wouldn't be trying to rip me off.

17. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, that or extend the monorail to the airport finally to introduce some competition.

Taxis pretty much have a monopoly on fast transport to and from the strip, with the monorail adding a great option for a large portion of visitors. You're unlikely to get ripped off on a rail ticket you buy from a machine.

18. DMSCR

DMSCR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A cab from the airport to the Vegas area between Treasure Island and the Wynn goes for $40 to $50. Time it takes is around 35 to 45 minutes.

Then I found out you can take a shuttle at exit #8 or #9 at the airport where it takes only 10 minutes and it costs $7 per trip.

There was one time I took a cab at night from Downtown back to the Wynn. Given that I was a dude by myself the driver who also works as a pimp tried to hook me up with some of the girls he works with.

19. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Total time for the shuttle is a hell of a lot longer than 10m.

20. crapsguy5000

crapsguy5000 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long Hauled All the Time

Every time I take a cab they always take the tunnel. Next time I'll specify the route.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.