1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Carnevino, Delmonico, CUT, or some others... (yes another steak thread)

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by KBT2012, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

I know there are quite a few steak threads on here but let's make it one more :thumbsup:. Anyhow, I'm staying at the Wynn in a couple of weeks with a buddy and I'm looking for a steakhouse to eat at. In the past I have had Jean Georges, Prime and SW Steakhouse. And I rank them in that order. I'm looking to try something new and I'm considering either - Carnevino, CUT, Delmonico, Craftsteak, Stripsteak or Gordon Ramsay's Steak. I've read a lot of reviews on each and would like to read some more personal accounts on people who have comparisons for some or perhaps even all. Maybe even suggest two places? I may decide to eat steak twice.

2. tizzy

tizzy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate at Carnevino back about 5 years ago on our wedding and I absolutely loved it. The steak was very very good (Filet). I have had Stripsteak and did not really enjoy it. I also ate at Delmonico's and it was really good also, I ate there about 6 or 7 years ago and just remember it being really good. I had the filet there also. I think the best steakhouse I have ate at and continue to go to almost every time we are in town is SW, we have not had anything that we have not liked there yet. We are going in June and hoping to try either Jean Georges at Aria or Gordon Ramsay Steak, as our friends are going with us and they are huge fans of GR so that is most likely the place we will be going. Sorry could not elaborate on what exactly we had at the above places because it has been a while since then. Get back with me if you eat at Jean Georges or Steak!

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have eaten at the bar at Delmonico, Carnevino, and Gordon Ramsey steakhouse. All three were great meals and similarly priced.

Its tough to compare too directly as I had different cuts at all three (signature bone in ribeye at Delmonico, filet at Carnevino, Wellington at GR.

Evaluating just the meat, I would say Delmonico was probably my favourite. Carnevino probably topped in the starters and sides department.

If I was going back to one of them to dine alone, it would probably be Gordon Ramsey, just because the meat (a really nice Wellington) and the signature dessert (Sticky Toffee Pudding) are harder to come by elsewhere than the offerings at the other two.

If I was taking a date who loved red meat to one, it would be Delmonico. If I was taking a less meat enthused date, it would be Carnevino, as the Italian fare there is also pretty darn good. Both have a far more romantic atmosphere than Gordon Ramsey steak, which has weird decor and is a little loud.

4. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten at Cut every year for the last 3 years, and it's probably my favourite steakhouse in Vegas.

I ate at Gordon Ramsay Steak last summer, and that was exceptional too in every respect.

I have eaten at Carnevino 3 times now, but it just doesn't appeal to me as much as the other 2 I have mentioned.

It's a very good restaurant, but it just doesn't have the wow factor of Cut, and the more I think about it Gordon Ramsay's place either.

I've never had a bad course at Cut, be it appetiser, main or dessert, and the service is excellent too.

I booked Ramsay's steakhouse for dinner after the UFC last summer, we were having problems getting a cab down to Paris (not unexpectedly), and they were happy to serve us even if we got there by 10pm.

We arrived shortly after 10, but that was no problem and they were in no way trying to rush us through the meal.

We all had 3 courses despite being so late in, and the level of service was similar to Cut.

It came to around $900 for 4 people, but we did have 3 bottles of wine through the meal, and I will definitely return. That included almost $200 in tip because we felt the service was so good.

The breads offered pre meal at both are exceptional too, with Ramsay Steak edging it in that department :)

5. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

6. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW has my vote. Some people have not had the best experiences. However maybe hey didn't have a giant seafood tower and chili rubbed ribeye out on the patio. A few good bottles of wine didn't hurt either.

7. AusTex11

AusTex11 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have as much input, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway. My group recently tried CUT on our last trip this past weekend, but I still found Prime to be a better steakhouse. That's not to say CUT is a bad place either. The sides and mains were all met with great review from everyone at my table. It's just two different steakhouses though with CUT being much more casual. In terms of their meat, I tried the New York sirloin tasting at CUT and was somewhat disappointed. Everyone else at my table had a different style, and no one was disappointed. Something tells me if I just went with my usual big, honkin' ribeye, I would have a better opinion. The mac and cheese was AWESOME. I'll probably go back to try their ribeye with a side of mac and die happy.

8. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten at Carnevino 3 times. I get the bone in strip. I think it's great, although once I feel they overcooked it, but I like medium rare to rare. Sides were, as others have said, amazing and the best of al of the steak houses.

I ate at Delmonico's last year and had a dry aged cut also, forgot the cut, but it was excellent and a little funky. Sides were great.

I ate at Cut in December and though it was excellent, sides were very good. I had a dry aged strip.

That is the order of preference for me. I have never had the reserva cut at Carnevino but I would definitely try it.

9. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay away from Carnevino. I was not impressed with that place at all.

10. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is what my dad told me actually. It seems to get real love/hate reviews. And just to clarify, I won't be choosing SW as I have already eaten there in the past and wanting to try something new. Choices will be either Craftsteak, Old Homestead, or Gordon Ramsay's Steak.

11. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a great experience at Carnevino. Great appetizers/salads, good sides and the best service I've had at a steakhouse by a wide margin. However, I thought the meat was lacking in flavor and my sister and BIL agreed (BIL and I shared the bone in ribeye, sis had the filet). Considering there are so many other fantastic steakhouses in town, and Carnevino is far from cheap, I doubt I'll return.

I've always had fantastic experiences at Craftsteak. I don't think I've had anything there that I didn't love. And I could probably eat the warm frisée salad every day of the week.

12. lmondun

lmondun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of those three, I would rank them in the order you list them. For me, the steaks themselves are so good at all the top steakhouses that the difference comes down to the bread, sides and desserts. And Craftsteak is my personal favorite of all the Vegas steakhouses for that reason -- amazing dinner rolls, fabulously buttery mashed potatoes, superb creamed white corn, sinfully delicious brioche monkey bread. Mmmmm.

13. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No one has mentioned it but I loved The Old Homestead at Caesars. We made the mistake of each getting a 35 oz bone in prime rib. We didn't even think about how big it would be. We felt like Fred Flinstone getting that giant chunk of meat at the beginning of the cartoon. The food was excellent and service fantastic.

14. jas92129

jas92129 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone have good (or any) experiences at some less well known or trendy locales such as Circus Circus Steakhouse, Golden Steer, Oscar's, etc?

A few of us ate at Oscar's Beef Booze and Broads and had a great experience....not over the top crazy, but a great fairly luxurious meal with a nice view and service.

15. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed!!!
    Bad food and worse service.
    My personal ranking would be:
    Prime
    Cut
    Gordon Ramsey
    Jean George
    Crafsteak

I have not tried Old Homestead yet.

16. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Made reservations for Craftsteak....also made reservations for Andrea's at Encore and may also do Botero.....damnit I need to get back to work and off this forum before my mouth starts watering anymore :evillaugh

17. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wasn't impressed with Botero either. I was there last year, and I went in at a time where it was pretty empty, and the service was terrible. I had to wait over 5 minutes for some cocktail sauce for my oysters. The meal did not knock my socks off either. If you are going to dine at Wynn, go to SW instead.

18. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mastros is certainly up there on my list. Not sure why it gets no love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.