1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I haven't flown in so very long - what do people wear on airplanes these days?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by AbbyP, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbbyP

AbbyP Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would typically wear a nice dress and some low heels for a flight.

However, my friends who are well-traveled are telling me that the seats have gotten smaller and less comfortable, and that especially for a late-night flight to Las Vegas I should just dress comfortably.

Would jeans or khakis and a button down shirt with a collar and some cute sandals be appropriate? Are cute sneakers out of the question?

Do the airlines treat people who are dressed in a casual manner differently that someone who is dressed well?

My trip is right around the corner, and the less I have to worry about, the better.

Could some experienced flyers please advise me?

Thank you.

P.S. How bad and how cramped have airline seats really gotten? Is this just the perception of my friends, or fact?

2. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gone are the days of dresses and heels for flights, Abby! Wear whatever is comfortable. The A/C might blow cold on you but you can turn the dial off.

If you're on the heavy side then yes, the seats will feel small.

3. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wear the same thing you would wear on a greyhound bus ride from Tallahassee to Louisville. That's what flying's like these days.

Except not as convenient.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People dress like most ordinary americans...which means most are dressed like slobs, you asking that question means you will no doubt look better than 90% of your fellow travelers.

5. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Abby, I think your khakis and a button down shirt decision would be good for a couple of reasons. With the exception of takeoff and landing planes can get pretty cold. Second, I always like to look somewhat presentable when I check into the hotel, especially if I am asking for an upgrade or some amenity. Once i am checked in I dress like the tourist that I am am!

6. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People wear everything flying to Vegas. Some people will already be dressed for Vegas. Some people will be in jeans and T-shirts. A lot of people will have slip on shoes to make TSA easier.

The one time where it pays to be dressed a little bit nicer is if you end up having to deal with the airline for any reason. Hopefully you won't need to.

7. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always get cold on the plane,so I bring a thin coat or a sweatshirt with me...something easy I can take off and store once I get to Vegas. I don't wear jewelry except for a watch thats easy to take off. Standing in the security line waiting for someone to take off 10 pounds of jewelry is kind off annoying.

8. AbbyP

AbbyP Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thank you for this - surely you can keep your wedding/anniversary rings on going through TSA (this is a question, i am hoping for an answer). What about a pendant?

If you do have t remove valuable/sentimental jewelry, is there a special wat to pass it through TSA without putting it in a bin?

9. AbbyP

AbbyP Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ah, ty - outfit for the flight decided! :)))))

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont remove my watch or wallet going through the scanners, only once did the guy stop me and pretend to examine my watch(never did take it off, he just looked at it sideways like a moron), do not remove any rings, they wont set off the metal detector.

11. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never remove my wedding ring or the Orbis ring I wear on my right hand, and never have had any problems.

12. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your Canadian, so would the exchange rate be from Saskatoon to Calgary?

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  13. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wear comfy but decent clothes. Sandals or some type of shoes that are easy to slip off at the security line are good. Even better is to have socks on so you aren't walking barefoot after everyone else. Socks are also good if it is cool on the plane. If it's warm, take them off and store them in your under seat carryon.

Jewellery isn't a problem. Glitter on my jeans set off a pat down. No big deal.

Depending on the length of the flight, you might want a book or a set of headphones for tv/movies.

Also food, depending on carrier, isn't always great. You might pickup a sandwich from the aiport.

14. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly.

Or Moosonee to Shediac.

15. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dont stress on what to wear, just remember to put on deoderant....and pray the person sitting next to you remembered to put some on also. All will be fine

16. g-didi

g-didi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! Have to change the Greyhound to the train out of Moosonee!

17. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The seats really aren't too bad. I am 6'6'' 230lbs and I am perfectly fine in either the window seat or the isle for up to about 6 hours.

If I am flying in late and I know I don't want to take or have the time to get ready before going out then I fly in what I am going to wear out...but If I have am going to have time to get ready before going out then I just wear jeans and a t-shirt, but the light sweater suggestion is spot on...at 35k ft its about -55F outside so the plane can get pretty chilly if you are near the window

18. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just came back from Vegas yesterday. Flew in and out. Almost every female under the age of 30 on those flights seemed to be wearing tights/leggings/yoga pants. Some so sheer you can see right through them. :eek: :thumbsup:

19. AnAmericanTexanInVegas

AnAmericanTexanInVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't ever had to remove any of my jewelry on any flights I've taken. Maybe I've just been lucky? I have on occasion, however, been taken aside for "special screening" due to decorative "bling" on my jeans, a metal loop on my shirt, and my hair being in a bun (seriously).
    But nothing too severe. I enjoy flying any chance I get. I hope you have a great trip!:wave:

20. glmrgirl717

glmrgirl717 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People wear whatever they feel like. Mostly casual, several border on downright sloppy! On one flight from NYC to Vegas, a group of girls in front of me on the plane were decked out in full club gear (super short dresses and 7 inch heels). It was slightly amusing watching them struggle with all of their luggage once we got off the plane, especially the one with 3, rather large, suitcases :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.