1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Boyz II Men @ Mirage - my review

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by ah6tyfour, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My reviews tend to be long (I don't know why. It just happens), but here goes:

Boyz II Men has set up residency here in Vegas at the Mirage. They play on weekends in Terry Fator Theater. Since they started their show a month ago, I've been wanting to go and finally got the opportunity tonight.

In short, the show is amazing, especially if their music played a big role in your childhood. I still remember the days of sitting around my friends' rooms listening and singing along to the smooth soulful harmonies of Boyz II Men.

The theater is intimate and every seat is good except the extreme sides in the first half of the theater (the way the stage is built, your view upstage is partially obstructed). It shouldn't really be a problem since they spend most of their time front and center. I sat in the very last row and had a perfect view. Never once did I think I was too far away.

The three remaining members of Boyz II Men can still sing and harmonize as well as they could 20+ years ago. They have brought on Marc Nelson, an original member of the group before they got big, to provide the deep bass voice they have been missing since Michael McCary left the group. They were smart to make sure Marc Nelson isn't seen as a part of the group, but as a featured vocal guest who provides the bass line in the background.

All the big hits were sung and sung very well. I was impressed by how often they'd rip out one of their earpieces so they could hear each other on stage. If you know the songs, it's a nice reminder of the past and the nostalgic infusion makes an already impressive performance even more personal. The pacing was great and they ended on a high note.

They performed a couple songs a capella and used that time to introduce and feature Marc Nelson. It's so rare for artists to sing like this these days, so it was refreshing to just watch four guys on stage sing without distraction. No instruments, no lighting changes, no choreography. Just pure vocals done perfectly.

Roses are passed out during "I'll Make Love to You" and the group members come out into the aisles during "End of the Road" to interact with the audience. So if you want to be sung to or hear their voices unamplified, try to sit in the front row or on the aisles in the first 10 rows or so.

Between songs, the group members each get a moment to speak directly to the audience and it is during these segments that we see how humble they are and how they truly love what they do.

The entire show was great and I loved every minute of it, but the BEST moment for me came within the first five minutes of the show. They start with some upbeat medley of songs from their newest album (which I don't really know) and suddenly transition straight into four-part harmony with "On Bended Knee". It is at this moment that you first hear that Boyz II Men sound and are instantly transported back to the early 1990s. Hearing them sing that first phrase of the song gave me goosebumps. It was jarring and it was truly incredible.

The only flaw of the show is the sound system. Mirage either needs to invest in new speakers or they need to hire an audio engineer who knows what he's doing. The high register was completely blown out and was distracting throughout the show. There was some feedback and some vibration that took away from talent on stage.

I purchased through the new TravelZoo deal which has $29.99 seats in the very last two rows. Unfortunately, Mirage charges a $10.95 service charge per ticket, so it ended up being $43 after tax and fees. I still feel I got a great bargain.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. etm117

etm117 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great feedback. Glad the show was a good time. I may check them out my trip this fall.

3. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah!! I loved their show too. I agree a little bit about the sound. It wasn't so bad that I didn't enjoy it. I'd love to see them again! It was great. I was also in the last row, it could of been something to do with our seats.

4. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice review!

People can still sing???.....

5. Mogambi

Mogambi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great review! I would love to see them!

6. vegasnut

vegasnut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice review

Nice review
    Saw them last month at the mirage ( 3d row)
    They were good
    I think its more for the ladies show though:licklips:

7. aperez1988

aperez1988 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome thanks for the great review, I've been wanting to see the show. Think I'm a bit burned out on the Cirque shows...

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.