1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How Much to Tip Wheelchair Service at Airport?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by macker69, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasmacker

vegasmacker Canadian Ambassador for Sully's Bar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I have a knee injury and will not be wearing my immobilizer brace on plane ride. So just to take a little walking on my knee I booked a wheelchair through my airline to take me to baggage claim. I was thinking a $10 tip is good for the guy, thoughts?

2. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tipped 5 bucks per chair person (5 bucks at the home airport, 5 bucks at the transfer, 5 bucks at LAS) but I'm cute and I smell good. I also didn't ask for any extra stops (like to go to the bathroom, run by starbucks, that sort of stuff) so I thought it was decent. I actually got the advice from a frequent fliers forum, so I think it's pretty standard.

3. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't be chincy Macker. You are young and single, don't give just the tip.

4. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used one after my knee surgery and I gave $10 because all the people I had were so helpful

5. Chrisby

Chrisby Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is your leg in January-
    broken tib.jpg

This is your leg after walking in Vegas for three days-
    fat leg.jpg

This is you at LAS yesterday-
    airport wheelchair.jpg
    Apologies for the pic...I didn't rotate it and my wife had to take it when I wasn't looking. :cuss:

I wasn't sure how much to give him (my first ride), actually i didn't think about until he got me to the gate. I asked if he could accept tips, when he said yes I gave him $5.
    afterwards I felt like I should have given him $10, it is a long ride to B-14. I would say $10 in the old terminal (carpet) $5 in the new one (tile).

-Chrisby

6. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I normally tip$10, and once tipped $20 when the guy pulled me a cab out of the line to save me waiting around.

7. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as you are not funky smelling, a 10 spot should be okay. Should you require assistance getting on and off the crapper, then double that amount.

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think $5 to $10 sounds good. And like a previous poster mentioned, tip more if you need to make a pit stop or if they are extra nice. Put your brace back on when you get off the plane. They can extend the leg holder things on the wheelchair to elevate your leg. That brace is your BFF.

9. farkingidiot

farkingidiot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to throw a monkey wrench in things, but when I took BOTH of my wheelchaired parents to Vegas a few months ago, the people who assisted us insisted on not taking a tip. They said it was part of the service. (Southwest Airlines)

10. Chrisby

Chrisby Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on Airtran/southwest and when I asked he accepted. Is it the airport or carrier ?

-Chrisby

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To further muddy the waters, my sister in law volunteers at Dallas Ft Worth being like an ambassador, but also pushing wheelchairs and she "works" for the airport, not an airline.

Granted SWA doesn't fly out of DFW, but maybe it just depends on the airport?

My wife got very sick on our SWA flight to Phoenix in February. So sick, the SWA attendant radioed ahead for a wheelchair for her w/o being asked. My wife looked really sick. I'm pretty sure at Phoenix, he was an airport employee or volunteer, not a SWA employee. Anyway w/o getting into all the details, I tipped him $20 for his help. But I think $5-$10 for pushing someone from the gate to luggage claim would be acceptable.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.