1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cab drivers on strike

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by padietz, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padietz

padietz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard there was a strike going on with one of the cab companies. Can you tell a noticeable difference in wait time (especially from the airport)?

2. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there is a portion of them on strike, but when we were there a few weeks ago, there was no noticeable delay.
    they do sometimes drive up and down the strip in their personal vehicles with strike signs honking horns and such.

3. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would have been neat to see

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn’t take a cab from the airport on my last trip (Mar 29 – Apr 2). But, I certainly never had any issues getting a cab from Wynn, NYNY, Aria or Downtown. It’s only one company, IIRC. And it isn’t even all the drivers striking. I had one cabbie from that particular company on my trip from Wynn to DT. I kinda felt bad for the guy. He was really conflicted – he wanted to show solidarity but he didn’t really agree with the decision to strike. And, of course, he had to pay the bills.

Of course, he did try to convince me to take the freeway from Wynn to Golden Nugget, saying that the strip was packed. I told him, “it’s Easter Sunday, I think I’ll take my chances.” Not a bit of traffic and a sub-$15 fare. I didn’t feel as bad for his plight after seeing how “packed” the strip was. :rolleyes2: (My sister and BIL weren’t as savvy…their cabbie convinced them to take the interstate from Palazzo to GN – cost them almost $25:grrr:...I need to turn them on to VMB!)

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is currently just one company and the others have been issued temporary permits to have extra cabs out to cover, so no noticeable difference.

6. tpwiz4

tpwiz4 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't experience any problems and I was there for the NAB convention last week. Although some of the cab drivers told me that they usually have two days off and now are being asked to work on one of those days.

7. Vegas_Cabbie

Vegas_Cabbie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually it's two companies that own half (8 of 16) of the total companies in Vegas.

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate the update... still little or no noticeable deterioration in service.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.