1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fly or drive from LA?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DBear, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will be in LA and thinking of spending a free weekend in Vegas. I have never been to LA. Is it better to fly or drive? If flying, which airlines would be considered the better options and what are reasonable average rates to look out for? If we left for Vegas on Sat morning and came back on Mon morning, would traffic be ok?

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have driven from San Diego to Las Vegas about 6 times. Fly into SD, stay a few nights, then drive to Vegas for a few nights and fly home from there.

About 5 hr drive and we are from the Midwest, so we enjoyed the desert scenery. I know many will post that it is boring, but we enjoyed it.

All that being said, if any airline has a flight that fits your timetable, I'd take it. Why waste 5 hours on the road when you could be in Vegas in 1? Fare should be under $80 each way.

3. BKCallaway83

BKCallaway83 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    your looking at around $200 roundtrip for the flight.

I almost always drive. takes 3.5-4 hours. 3 hours if you speed a little.
    Flight is less than an hour. However, you have to drive to the airport early enough, wait in line for check-in and security. Then once you get to Vegas, you have to take a cab to your hotel which takes more time and money.

Flying doesn't save that much time, but it's a convenient way to go if you don't like driving.

Drive to vegas is always better leaving LA on sat then friday. Leaving monday will have much less traffic then sunday too.

4. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's faster for me to drive than to fly from my house to the hotel that I'm staying at. The drive times that you said should be no problem.

5. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years ago we also flew into LA, rented a car and drove. I took the advice of others and planned our vacation around peak traffic times. Try to drive in mid-week and drive back Monday. My wife and I had a great time.

6. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for cheap flight
    Spirit airline (if you can stuff the weekend trip into a back pack) overhead space is costly
    otherwise from LAX southwest is cheap if planned in advance.

Driving is hit or miss, but its bout 3.5hrs if there is NO traffic, which is hard to predict.

There are "cheap" luxury bus that will take you to las vegas, about 5 hour trip but you don't have to do the driving or worry about a rental car.

LA is a big place. where specifically are you staying at?

fk

7. Aurelien

Aurelien Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried both car and southwest flight, the flight is way better on a friday afternoon road is crowded and you can get tired. I paid less than $200 at the time, close to $120. You can carry 2 bags, take a car from the LV airport or a taxi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.