1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any Portland, Maine advice?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the hell of it we booked a trip in Sept. Never been to Maine. We're flying into Logan in Boston because it's a non-stop from Milwaukee and then either taking the Downeaster train, or the Concord bus to Portland. The timing and arrival time, is why we don't know which one yet.

My wife has companion status on SWA, so total airfare cost is $256 for both of us. Hard to pass up trips since she will lose that at the end of the year.

We are staying 4 nights at the Marriott Residence Inn in downtown Portland. No car.

So any must see/do things? Restaurants, bars, tourist traps etc. Good lobster????

Peaks Island worth a visit? Or somewhere else the ferry goes?

Ten vacations this year and hard to believe, but maybe only four will be to Vegas. If we go to San Juan in November, then only three will be to Vegas. Bye, bye Boyd Emerald Card.:cry:

Before anybody jumps on me...yes it is a nice problem to have and we fully appreciate our situation. A lifetime of savings and now we are spending it! No kids, so whatever is left will go to the nieces and nephews. Hopefully not for another 20+ years or so.:poke:

2. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd seriously consider getting a car and exploring the area, even if only for a day or two. I've been to Acadia NP / Bar Harbor in September. It's about 2 hours NE of Portland along the coast. Very nice visit during the fall as it's not as crowded with school back in session.

Beautiful views along route 1 / the ocean, and there are dozens of local places where you can get a quick lunch w/ a lobster roll or chowder. It's cool when windy and pretty cold. Leaves typically begin changing colours after the first day of fall.

I didn't stay in Portland (have no in town suggestions).

[YOUTUBE]MvSAcw3Rcrs[/YOUTUBE]

3. DK528

DK528 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will second the Acadia recommendation.

Was only in Portland for a night and I don't remember my dinner being that memorable, unfortunately. Did love my visit to the Allagash brewery though!

4. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    bring a jacket.. haha

5. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:

I think it's great that you and your wife can enjoy your retirement by taking many trips; to Vegas and elsewhere.

You've planned for this stage in your lives and you deserve it!

I'm looking forward toward retirement in a few years and hope my wife and I planned ours well enough, lol!

Do you really think you'll lose Emerald status? I would think 3 trips a year is more than enough to maintain Emerald status, no?

6. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second getting a car. I went two years ago and really enjoyed it. Although a couple hours in Portland was enough for me.

We went up to the Boothbay Harbor area and stayed at the Linekin Bay Resort. Definitely old school. No television, no lock on the doors, but everything is included (except booze);
    three delicious meals a day (Lobster twice over my 4 days), sail boats, kayaks. Still a short drive to town.

http://linekinbayresort.com/

7. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Portland, ME is a foodie town, so there is plenty of good food and drink. Duck Fat is great for duck confit and french fries cooked in, you guessed it, duck fat. Miyake offers some of the best Sushi I have experienced, get the omakase (which includes lobster). Check out Grace for drinks this is a beautiful church turned restaurant and bar. Novare Res and Great Lost Bear should be on your list if you love beer. Take in a Seadogs game for good, cheap family fun.

Acadia National Park is beautiful, but more than 2 1/2 hours from Portland. If you have the time, and can rent a car, it's worth it. Drive up to the top of Caddilac Mtn early in the morning and be the first in the USA to see the sun rise.

8. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There were some great lobster deals in a little paper the time I was there. My wife had two lobsters for a great price in a restaurant out on a floating pier. There is a photo of here holding one up in the trip report at the end of this post.

I enjoyed the art museum. Lots of boat and water pictures. I am a Winslow Homer fan, so I enjoyed this collection
    http://www.portlandmuseum.org/exhibitions-collections/collection/homer_gallery.shtml

I think they have his studio set up for visits somewhere in Portland.
    I remember the ferry ride and a posted advertisement that some folks on the island would give free winter housing to someone who would watch their dogs and keep a fire going. It was tempting. Living on an island for a month or so in the winter seemed a great place for writing, but Elizabeth was less enthused with idea.

Finally, and most important, you need to have a beer at $3 Dewey's. This place used to be a bordello, advertising

$1 Lookie
    $2 Feelie
    $3 Dewey
    There are 12 fine photos of the place here:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/three-dollar-deweys-portland?select=lT0u84AzuWWba-vV5HmSYQ#lT0u84AzuWWba-vV5HmSYQ
    How could you miss this one?

Naturally, I brought home a souvenir glass.

Here is a trip report with photographs
    http://pokerbluegill.blogspot.com/search?q=Portland

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  9. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Logan Airport is across the Harbor, not sure about subways, so may need to take a cab from Logan thru the tunnel to North Station, this is where the Northbound Amtrak leaves from. There are some Ferry services to Canada a few hours North, They discontinued the one from Portland a few years back
    Nice to see you coming out to the East but I need to remind you when ordering so you don't sound like a tourist; it's called ' Lobsta with Buttah ', gotta drop your "R's in New England , Dont forget the Fried clams with the bellies :licklips:

10. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a free Massport shuttle (look for #66) at Logan that circles the terminals and also stops on the Blue Line of the subway. From there you can go "inbound" to Government Center, where you pick up the Green Line "to Lechmere" which gets you to North Station.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Realistically, for three trips a year and our normal trip is 5 days/4 nights, that would mean $80,000+ VP coin in each trip. We can't do that w/o chaining ourselves to the machines and that's no fun.

We usually do 45-60K on a normal trip, but that also depends on how many friends we meet for drinks, dinner etc. and how many of my brothers show up at the same time. Two of them & one SIL will be there for our next trip.

Emerald requires $250,000 coin in for a year. I really don't chase the points, so worst case scenario, maybe we no longer get a suite, but hopefully still get the Gold Card for food. Comped rooms are never an issue.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While perusing the web, Dimillo's on the Water did jump out at me. Bookmarked!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For several reasons, I think we will take the Concord Coach.
    No size restrictions on luggage like the train has. Under 28" for the train and no luggage check.

Bus stop right at Logan

Better route times throughout the day. The train is for commuters going back north, so most of the departure times are late afternoon ~5pm ish and later. We get in at noon and the bus seems to run just about every hour, so it looks like we can catch a 12:45 PM bus.

Too bad! I have never been on a train in my life. My wife traveled all over Europe on the trains before we were married, but not me. I'll remain a train virgin.:poke:

14. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or even better, take the Silver line, goes direct to South Station. Home of Boston's bus terminal

15. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:

Funny, Joe, but when you explain the Boyd comp system it makes sense. When I ask the Boyd people at the desk I get confused, lol! The Emerald status intrigues me but now I know I'll never reach it for the time being. Maybe when I retire and have an opportunity to visit more often, it'll happen.

Anyway, thanks for responding, I know this wasn't the original thread subject and I appreciate it. Sorry I can't help you with Portland, Maine advice.:eek:

16. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True. Originally the OP was asking about taking the Downeaster train to Portland, ME. The Downeaster leaves out of North Station.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All the posts have convinced me to rent an overpriced ($140) car for Sat & Sun and do some exploring besides just Portland.

I assume for Acadia National Park you can buy a one day admission?

Any other suggestions welcome. I don't want to spend more than 5 hours in the car, round trip.

18. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you plan on heading to Acadia for 1 or 2 days, it's $20 good for up to seven days. If you head there Saturday, Sept 28, your Emerald card will insure free entrance. :thumbsup:

You can also drive around the area (without hitting park land) and check out Bar Harbor without paying any fees.

http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm#CP_JUMP_426828

At minimum, a nice drive up route 1 and exploring small towns / ocean areas will be time well spent.

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A 170 mile trip one-way is not my idea of relaxing on a 4 night trip.
    Any closer ideas besides just driving up Hwy 1 for an hour?

20. realjwstorm

realjwstorm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While it's true that is the downeast accent, a good majority of Maine doesn't speak that way .. even though that's how all locals are portrayed in the movies .. people in Portland pronounce their R's as do those of us from farther north ..

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.