1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Night tours, bus, taxi, walking

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ChaiLatte, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChaiLatte

ChaiLatte Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read the sticky posts about distances and I am currently working on the list of things we're going to do while there.

1- I saw a coupon on Groupon about a tour on a double decker bus. It's a hop on, hop off thing to go places.
    Is it a good idea? It's 28$ / person.

2- There's also a night tour to see all the pretty lights of Vegas for 3 hours I think. The tour ends at Freemont.
    About the same price.
    Good or bad idea?
    Good/bad as in, is it a tourist trap or something that people can do on their own or using cheaper ways..

3- We are considering getting a 3 days bus pass to go around town where want to go like grocery store to save money on taxi fair.
    Again, good idea or bad?

I'm asking all this, because we know there's a monorail and other shuttles, but we're not sure if there will be enough to go where we want to go. We want to look at more options to not have to pay taxi every time we want to go somewhere.
    Hope I make sense.

2. Willy

Willy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure what your plans are for touring off strip, but for anything on strip or downtown you definitely don't need a tour bus. Unless it comes with an inclusive bar. That could be a good time. Everything is much better seen on foot, although you have to be prepared for miles of walking. Just too many things to miss if your going past in a bus.
    I'm not sure about a night tour of lights either. Again it's kind of the same thing. The best scenery is on the strip and downtown.
    A bus pass could be handy though. Sometimes you don't realize just how far you have walked in a day, or you could just cab it once or twice.
    I usually rent a car for a day just for shopping and a supply run.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would skip the tours because basically everything is right there in front of you. Walking around will net you more visual stimulation then sitting in traffic on a tour bus. Its really just one long street.

The bus pass is not a bad idea though.

Give it a try for a trip or two and see if its your cup of tea. For me, I cant stand it but everyone is different.

Keep in mind that you wont be the only one with the bus idea so plan on packed to the rafters buses, stops every 12 feet and the regular crowd of people who ride buses in any big city. Its not a tourist bus, its a city bus you are riding on that happens to go down a touristy street.

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YOu don't need a tour. Bus pass is a good idea. Get yourself a free map and book on LV if you are a AAA member. If not, pick up a book like "The Unofficial Guide to LV". It will have little maps, and lists of stores, restaurants, hotels, sights to see, entertaners etc. Make a list group according to location , and make a schedule that isn't too busy, and is flexible. Ten you can take a bus or walk to the area and see the sights. If you are organized you will see and do more in your limited time. Go to the RTC website for bus information and routes. You can often save time on residential buses that drive parallel to LV Blvd, or cross it on side streets. A book is available for $1.00 at the transfer stations. Wear comfortable shoes.

Jimbo338

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.