1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Too Long a Trip?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by UKFanatic, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I'm sitting in the Tampa airport, waiting on a flight, don't feel like working, and my mind naturally drifts to Vegas.

Got a nice four day trip upcoming in about a month. But after that, I am planning a blow out trip for the end of June. I have express comps to burn, so I've invited a ton of friends to join me out there the last weekend of June.

I already bought a plane ticket to leave that Thursday after work and coming home Monday night. At least four other friends have already bought the same tickets. Now, I've learned two other friends I already going to be out there the weekend prior for a conference. They are trying to convince me to come out the saturday BEFORE my big blow out trip and just stay the week (although the early arriving friends will be leaving Monday morning after their conference).

So now I am considering it. If I go the weekend before and fly out first thing Saturday morning, that would make it effectively 10 straight days in Vegas! Six is the most I have ever done. Ten seems like a lot. Of course, I will have the conventioneer friends to hang out with on Saturday and Sunday, then basically three and a half days by myself, followed by a large group of friends for the last four and a half days. I'm torn, is 10 days too much in Vegas?

Thoughts?

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  2. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ten days would be way too long for me. I love the cards and the booze but I think even though it's LV I'd get bored after a while. I do tend to hit both of those pretty hard though.

Four days is my limit. Anymore and I am ready to come home.

3. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did similar in 2009 for Garth Brooks debut and stayed thru Aria opening
    ...11 nights. Best trip of my life. Key was a couple really light days in the middle while I was alone. A little work from room. Chill. Ate Bellagio buffet 5 straight days lol.

Would have to watch your play though.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My liver definitely couldn't take 10. Fool yourself if you must that you'll cut down, or won't drink a couple of days.:poke: Yea right:drunk:

5. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done 9 days, but broke it up a lot w/outdoor activities. Played golf, drove so brought a bike and did some great road rides, spent a day touring Death Valley, played some pool at a bar near Pahrump [heh], etc. I couldn't go big for that whole time...

6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you really wanted to, you could do it. Just space it out, have more downtime, and maybe do something out of town for a day or two in the middle.

But if your convention friends think extending you vacation that much is no big deal, why don't they meet you in the middle? You fly out monday and they stay an extra couple days after their conference.

Being on your own unless they are ditching sessions doesn't sound that fun.

7. Rumdranker

Rumdranker Grateful Lurker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doable

Just did nine full days with my GF. We spent 3 nights at the major locations, stip, downtown, and ended off strip. It was great.

I only been twice and still have a lot to explore and do.

8. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't do it.

9. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything less than 6-7 days is a waste imo due to the flight. Plus you are hanging with friends so that's a good time there....

I can't take a flight somewhere and then in 3-4 days come back.....like folks that fly out to take a 3-day cruise then come back home.

All that effort and money for such a short stay. I save that for local stuff and I definitely understand folks that drive to Vegas from Cali or Utah for a few days.

10. gms5997

gms5997 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubby and I just got back from a 7 day trip like we do twice a year and we always look at each other while waiting for our flight home and say "Wish we could stay another week!"

11. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you have to mix in some day trips in the middle. Death Valley was mentioned, also Valley of Fire, Red Rock, Zion. If you like to drink a lot in Vegas you can make those day trips have less drink, more water, less rich food, more healthy options. Also a nice massage or two could help.

12. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we did the same thing last year and took 3 days over at Lake Las Vegas in between. 10 straight days on the strip would have been way too much, but it worked out OK with the jaunt to LLV. However, I still wouldn't do it again unless I really wanted to be there for both weekends. last year it was the Phil Ivey 1M poker tourney and then a big celebrity golf tourney the next weekend.

13. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We 're going for two weeks but we always spend time away from Vegas. Vegas is so much more than just drinking and gambling. If you will have a car, take a trip to one or more of the National Parks, take a hike in Red Rock Canyon. Drive up to Mt Charleston. If we break up our trips with other activities, when we get back into town, we feel like we're starting a whole new vacation. You might find that you like the other side of Vegas.

14. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can do it if you modify your behaviour when you are alone. We regularly have 6 to 8 week trips, and we tailor our strip activity to suit when friends will be there. Otherwise we tend to live as we do at home, but with a little bit of gambling thrown in here and there.

It is not compulsory to do Vegas at 100 MPH. Sit back and relax for a few days, and just enjoy the awesome weather conditions.

15. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it has been pretty much said - if you are gonna do the longer trip, you probably have to do part of it as a different kind of trip.

And this is something I like, actually... the first 4-5 days are a frenzy - non-stop action.

Then, I've got the bug out of my system and I can start to relax and enjoy different aspects of Vegas.

The last trip was 16 days, and I still want to go back... like now. :)

16. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had an eleven day trip last October, thanks to a hurricane that closed some East Coast airports. It was great! Though I've discovered that I pretty consistently gain a pound a day in Vegas, and this trip was no exception, despite the exercise that I got.

My advice? Rent a car and explore, at least for a few days. And yeah, don't try to to it at 100mph. A recovery day back home before you return to work is good idea as well. You'll be fine.

17. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it were the first trip or maybe even 2nd trip to Vegas ever then a week is good.

Now, 3 days is good and 4 is max for us.
    Having to stay a week (especially if not too long after a previous trip) would be WAY too much.

More importantly though, the energy is great in Vegas especially if you happen to go with a group of people. Its like you all share the energy and satisfaction of all being in Vegas together. If I had to be there a week before everyone else, you can bet that initial charge of energy won't be there. All your friends will have that Vegas glow while yours burnt out a few days prior.

18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think if I stayed in Vegas that long, I'm pretty sure I'd end up homeless under a bridge somewhere along I-15. I'd have emptied my bank accounts, lost my phone and my wallet, been removed from the hotel. I'd be pushing a shopping cart with a gallon jug of water!

19. natedog666

natedog666 17 and 20 Expert

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, coming from a guy that stays a month sometimes, I think the key is to pace yourself. I think I usually gamble 1-2 hours a day. You can take day trips to LA, SF and other places too.

20. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pacing is definitely my concern!

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.