1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Telling the Taxi/Cab drivers your own directions...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by -(J)-, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -(J)-

-(J)- Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It feels like at least once every trip I get the "long-haul" from cab drivers.
    They drive slow, take the busiest streets, miss green lights etc.. I'm not saying all of them, but some of them know exactly what their doing!

Anyway.. I know a few of the back roads around the strip and can see on maps of quicker ways to get across the strip and bypass all the strip traffic.

Can you tell taxi/cab drives a specific way to go?
    Will this just piss them off?
    Or is this pretty normal?

I swear I could get to some places for half the taxi cost if they take some of the back roads off the strip!

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes.
    Most likely.
    It is with the more knowledgable travelors.

The best thing you can do is be armed with the info or average rates already. Sometimes they will still try to sell you on the idea that there is construction, but it's your money and that makes you the boss.

Sometimes it helps to know how much it would normally be... Like if it should normally be an $18-$20 fare, you can tell the driver you have $25 for this trip, how much of a tip he gets depends on how cheap the ride is.

3. Oskee2001

Oskee2001 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you can absolutely tell them where to go. It's your ride. I do that here at home and wherever else I travel.

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely tell the cab driver my preferred route. And if (when:rolleyes2:) they tell me about construction - I respond that I always love to see the construction when I get to Vegas. Which is actually true:peace:

5. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually let them start but if they appear to be veering off from the obvious route on a long haul I stop them.
    I also may suggest directions when I get in the cab.,

6. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Absolutely you could and you should if you know what you're talking about. Yes its absolutely normal anywhere. Heck over here people will tell cabbies not just what streets to take but even what lane to get into. If they give a shit then fukk them! Its their job. They drive a cab for a living, don't give them some exalted status. You're paying them to do a menial job, its not like they're doing you any favors or doing it out of charity.

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All taxis have some kind of "your rights as a passenger" somewhere in the cab, usually on a sticker on the window. This is covered as one of the items where you can give the driver specific directions to go and they have to follow them.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.