1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA/Airtran Merger - Now Merging Itineries, Bags FREE, etc.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Busyman, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now you can get connecting flights across brands, 2 free checked bags on most AirTran flights, and similar prices across booking channels.

I think all of this is as of March 20, 2013 (last Wed).

Some notes:

Any itinerary with a Southwest segment or that is purchased through a Southwest point-of-sale channel will not have bag fees for the first or second checked bag (weight and size restrictions apply)

Customers will continue to earn and redeem currency through the frequent flyer loyalty programs of their Marketing Carrier, regardless of the Operating Carrier they travel on. Customers should be enrolled in both Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards and AirTran Airways A+ Rewards programs in order to earn currency from whichever airline they purchase a ticket.

If you book through AirTran, you get A+ Rewards.
    If you book through SWA, you get Rapid Rewards.
    Rewards have not merged.

Booking through a particular channel will result in the policies of that brand (like change fees). You can't book through AirTran and get SWA change policy.

Many (if not all) domestic flights on AirTran can now be booked on SWA.

International flights still must be booked with AirTran.

[​IMG]

2. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps eventually the rewards programs will merge. Since I have some A+ miles, I hope it happens.

Thanks for posting.

3. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no seat assignments

If you book an Airtran flight on the Southwest website you do get the 2 free checked bags. But seats won't be assigned until you check in. You can't add the Southwest EBCI or pay for premium seats as you might on Airtran.com. This is the only drawback. I booked my son's family of 5 on Airtran via Southwest this week and my only concern is making sure the kids (especially the 3 year old) are seated with a parent. Sure wish seat assignments were an option - but we maximized the benefits by doing it this way and will see how it works out.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for posting this. I was curious so I called SWA this morning.
    I found out we can use our SWA miles, two vouchers we have and my wife's Companion status on AirTran also. Same restriction- must be booked on the SWA website, but w/o looking, this sounds great!:thumbsup:

Time to go flight hunting.

EDIT: Crap, all of the above only applies to domestic AirTran flights. SWA hasn't taken over foreign flights and w/o looking that probably means Hawaii is out also because of the flying over water restrictions.

5. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I posted about this here 3/17..Saved $60 and got better flight times and layovers (ATL) than I originally booked for a May trip.Only one segment is on SW now.Flight from FL is now $271 total and that is cheapest I have paid in maybe 5 years.
    I was curious about the flights home where I had already paid the $10 EB and both segments are on Airtran..

I got around to emailing SW about this Tuesday and just an hour ago I got an actual call from a rep that said that charge would be refunded to my CC sometime within 3 weeks..No problem thankyou.

It would be nice if we could select our seats on AT though,hoping they may be able to do it at the counter when I fly out for my return flights also but kinda doubt it.
    If I get stuck in a middle seat,well I can look at it 2 ways..either I had 3 extra $20's in a VP bartop machine that hits a Royal or a cheaper flight on SW this September..Win/Win :beer:

6. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's says that in my post.

Also, it says whatever booking channel you went through, you are subject to their policies.

7. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah eventually, I think policies will completely merge.

I mean SWA has owned AirTran since May 2011 so yeah it's about time. I think what they are doing is migrating people over naturally. More and more people will stop using AirTran's site and go to SWA. One thing SWA needs to do is get those international flights on their site.

Then, there'd be zero reason to use AirTran's site besides using up some rewards.

8. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, your post doesn't mention seat assignments specifically. It is an important consideration for some.

Sheesh...

9. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually it includes some flights over water. For example, now I can book SEA to SJU using my SW RR 1.0 credits.

10. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I said that the policies follow the booking channel.

Southwest doesn't assign seats. Therefore if you book through SW, no assigned seats.

[​IMG]

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, SW starts flying to Puerto Rico April 14 (under the SW brand).

and yes, booking on SW site allows RR credits.

Good find on the Puerto Rico since I want to take a cruise outta there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.