1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

To pull the trigger or not?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by nursepower, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nursepower

nursepower Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having a real hard time committing to the $507 price for 2 R/T tickets from BWI to LAS....i fear as soon as I buy another deal will come along. Non-refundable too. Grrr. I hate being indecisive.

2. nursepower

nursepower Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit air seems to have completely horrible reviews. Any thoughts on this?

3. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate Spirit but that's a fantastic deal.

TWO R/T tickets? Are you kidding me?

Did you search elsewhere?

NOTE:

-You must pay for carry-on baggage
    -checked bags have a 40lb limit

That's friggin $250 a ticket.

Did you check SWA and Orbitz?

edit: Plus, no offense, but you'd get better help if you said your departure and return dates. I mean...come on.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i have heard very bad things about spirit.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    huh? What?

6. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't fly spirit

I fly BWI to Vegas when I go. DON'T FLY SPIRIT

1) They only have one flight out of BWI to Vegas a day, and it's at 7:30pm. If you miss that one, you have to wait until 7:30 the next day.

2) You have to play an additional $35 for (CARRY ON). That's right, they don't tell you that upfront in the cost. You can't have any carry on bags without paying the $35.

3) The customer service BLOWS!

4) If you're over 6 feet tall, you're going to be jam packed for 5 hours.

Pay the extra to do United direct our of Dulles or USAIR direct out of DCA.

July 19th - July 24th
  7. nursepower

nursepower Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My dates are June 11 in the evening to June 15 leaving in the evening. I found a very nice priced flight on Southwest going to LAS at the day and time required but the return is too early imo. Perhaps I should buy the outbound as one way and then hope I find something else for the return?

Not sure how that works.

8. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so far I don't get Spirit Air... one way fare of $183 has been quoted, then don't they tack on like $40 for a bag? yikes, how come all the hype? doesn't seem cheaper to me

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit air is fine if you know what you are getting into.

They are safe, cheap and they run on time.

They annoy many people mainly because of fees (everything from carry-ons to seat selection to soda in the cabin involves paying). But as long as you know in advance all that really matters is the total cost.

The other complain can be uncomfortable seats (too close together). I've found I notice this more with seats near the back of the plane. Even so, its not really that bad.

For me, if Spirit is cheaper by any significant margin (say, $50 round trip) with baggage fees accounted for, I'll fly them. If price is the same as Delta/Southwest/etc, I'll fly them instead.

10. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the same problem. $460 round trip from Denver. I sat on it for two months and the price didn't get better, and eventually I had to lock it in.

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always check each way separately. Hell I've flown with one airline up on BWI and another airline back to DCA. (had a ride for pick up and drop off). I prefer DCA since I'm in the Washmet area.

People many times think they must buy roundtrip. Why? If the fare is low with SWA up and low with Delta back, go for it.

Also evening flights suck. You many times are paying for a hotel room that you'll only have for a few hours the first day. Often Expedia's "deals" involve a late flight up and ultra early flight home....flights no one wants. So your first day is cut off yet paid for and your last, you can't relax the night before cuz you have to wake up early.

Also is it that you MUST leave in the evening?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing says you have to fly the same airline both ways.

If the fares are non-refundable though, I probably wouldn't book until about mid-April unless you see a deal. Usually they don't start climbing until 6-7 weeks out, and in the meantime there could be a fare sale.

13. nursepower

nursepower Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I chose evening of the 11th so my husband can still go to work that day. He didn't want to take off too many days from work. We'd fly in the evening and be in Vegas around 9 pm. Stay at 4 Queens the 11 and 12 (I've never seen downtown freemont street) and then move to Aria the 13th and 14th. Our show is at Caesar's on the 14th. And I wanted to spend Saturday on the strip shopping before meeting our plane. I don't mind the red eye on Saturday as long as we are home before evening Sunday. I'll keep looking. Thanks everyone!

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great plan!

Yeah I see that $148 nonstop at 6:20pm.

You can do that and take Spirit on the way back if you want. When I took Spirit is on return flight as well.

Remember, their weight limit is 40lbs per bag. They got us good with that bull.

15. nursepower

nursepower Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I did it and now I can relax.

Got Southwest leaving BWI June 11 at 6:20 pm. to arrive in Vegas at 8:25 staying at Four Queens until the 13th. Then moving to Aria for two nights and leaving Vegas on June 15 via Airtran at 11:30 pm arriving back to BWI at 7:05 Sunday a.m.

Total cost for flights, both non stop Drum Roll Please

$611.60

16. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fantastic price....and you avoided Spirit (da bastards).

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.