1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Happy St. Pattys Day

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To one and all.If you celebrated yesterday,hope you enjoyed a good time,have fun today also.
    We're on our second loaf of soda bread this week,,love that stuff.

2. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same to you. Soda bread? Not sure what that is.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Irish Soda Bread

Best way for me to describe it is that it's a sweet bread with raisins . Very good toasted with butter or plain ,if you can get it homemade its fantastic.

4. beaumontbhoy

beaumontbhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not called patty's day. Patty is a girls name. It's paddy's day or st Patrick's day

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is that like scones?

Going out to a local restaurant that has $1 oysters with the purchase of a pint of Guinness, my least favorite stout. Then move onto a Troegs or Dogfish Head 60 min. IPA.

6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hammie,cant believe you never heard of it?

Maybe it's just a NY/NJ Irish thing? Its not like a scone ,its a loaf, round or oval in shape with a nice crust . Somebody help me out here,I'm not Irish or a baker ,all I know is that I really love it.

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought Paddy was short for Padraig?

Like in Padraig Harrington ,the pro golfer. And they call ST.Patricks Cathedral ,School or whatever St. Pats? Anyhow ,my apoligies to any Irishman that I may have offended,going out soon for corned beef,cabbage and a Guiness or two.

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard of Irish soda bread, never had it though, and I didn't realize it had raisins. It sounds like its made like a quickbread, baking powder/baking soda used as a leavening agent instead of yeast. Now I'm gonna have to find some.

As for the holiday, we call it St. Patty's Day, and use it as an excuse to bend the elbow.

9. CinnamintStick

CinnamintStick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made a beer bread this week that was simular to Irish Soda Bread. It was a basic beer bread recipe with self rising flour with 1/2 cup sugar. It had raisins, caraway seed, a bunch of fresh dill weed chopped and dill seed. To me it is even better than Irish soda bread.

I am a bread baker. In fact I am a award winning bread baker. Irish soda bread is usually made with caraway and raisins. It is usualy round and sometimes has a cross on top. It is very easy but beer bread is even easier. Here is my favorite recipe for Irish soda bread from The Bread Winners Cookbook. I have been making this recipe since 1979.

Irish Soda Bread

4 cups of buttermilk, room temperature
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    7 to 8 cups unbleached white flour
    3 TBLS honey
    1/2 cup caraway seeds
    2 TBLS plus 2 tsp. baking powder
    1 TBLS salt

Preheat oven to 375

In a medium-sized bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs and the baking soda. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon.

In a second large bowl, combine 7 cups of flour, raisins, honey, caraway seeds, baking powder and salt, stiring aftereach ingredient is added. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir well until everything is blended. If you like, flour your hands and complete the mixing. The bread does not require kneeding, however. If the dough seems to damp, add more flour.

Divide the batter into 2 equal parts and place in 2 buttered and floured pans (9X% inches) or place in small round ceramic bowls buttered and floured. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until well browned and cake tester comes out clean. Let the loaves cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out in onto wire racks. It freezes well too. Slice thin and toast with lots of butter.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.