1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sports beting for the 'frugal'

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by pokerbucketlist, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pokerbucketlist

pokerbucketlist Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would like to place some wagers on my next trip but dont want to bet huge.

Is it ok to bet say $20 on a few games instead of $100 on one?

Do I lose b/c of the rake, or is the rake a %?

Thanks

Jeremy

2. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jeremy:

What I did this past week was I did a few Parlays.... $20 dollar bets on 4-5 team parlays and even a 3 team parlay... I hit 1 3 team parlay for $20 it won me like $68 bucks.
    For the other (2) 4 team parlays it won me like 200 each or so.
    The 5 team parlays are when you start winning money

CoolCanuck and I made several bets while we were out there... He is more serious sports book player than I.... But that is my suggestion.... I wouldnt waste $100 on a single bet when you could do 5 $20 bets on a good couple parlay games...

3. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jeremy -- you can bet as low as $5 on sports. If you've got $100 to spend, spreading over multiple games is definitely a good strategy. The vig is a percentage of winning bets, so you only pay the juice on the bets you hit. If you hit all 5 bets at $20, you will pay the same vig as if you hit one bet at $100.

I agree with chess that you can have a lot of fun with parlays, especially if all the games are on at once. It sucks to have a five team parlay if the first game loses early, because then you've got no action on the later games.

4. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can bet less than $20 on a game, so you are doing fine at that level.

The -110 on the tote board next to the team you are wagering on is the standard vig. It means you have to bet $11 to win $10. If the the number is something else (e.g., -120) then that means your team is a bigger favorite (you would have to bet $12 to win $10). But you can still bet $20 regardless. Just means you'll be getting some change back when you win!

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  5. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you bet a game, whether you are taking or giving points , don't you have to bet $110 to win $100 or $22 to win $20. So you have to pay the vig up front.

Sorry didn't read all of your post UK

6. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only if you want the numbers to work out even. You can bet pretty much any amount you want over the minimum, which is usually $5.

7. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is incorrect. You pay the vig up front all on bets (its 11/10). For example, if bet $11 dollars on the Bulls to win, you give the teller $11. If they win, you get $21 back (your original $11 bet, plus $10 in profit). The house only collects on the vig on your losing bets, as you get all of your original bet back when you win (plus the profit).

As far as the OP's question--whether you bet five separate bets totaling $100 or one large bet for $100, you pay the same exact vig (assuming you lose all the wagers).

I would spread out your wagers and bet a few games.....more fun that way. Or bet one game for $50 and bet two $25 parlays.

8. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

I love spreading it around. $25-$50 initially on individual bets(more if I'm winning) and $10-$20 on each parlay card played.

I know up front I'm not going to win or lose a ton so it's just pure enjoyment while I'm out in LV.

Between betting individual games and parlay cards it keeps me interested for an entire day.

My only rule is that I don't bet on games involving teams that I like(Mets, Giants, Knicks and UCONN). Because it makes watching their games so much less enjoyable to watch.

Here's hoping you keep cashing 'em instead of trashing 'em. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.