1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jeep Hardside Luggage-anybody else?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by sammasseur, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just purchased a lightweight hard-side 28 incher from WalMart for $79 to replace a Traveler's Choice equivalent that got me through four years of frequent traveling without any problems. Came off the luggage belt this time with a 5 inch crack. Anybody have experience with the Jeep luggage? It's very masculine-looking and roomy, much more so than the piece I replaced it with. They also have two smaller sizes for $69 and $59.

[​IMG]

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks good! Got some nice reviews on Ebags and Amazon and the price sure seems right! Good luck with it.

3. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not used Jeep but I use Heys hardside luggage and it is great. My luggage is bright orange and I definitely know it is mine coming down the ramp! Here is a link to the Heys page on Overstock.com - it is a lot cheaper than getting it from Heys directly:

http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=heys+luggage&SearchType=Header&cid=128502&kid=55811388999532&TRACK=PSGGL&mkwid=s55811388999532&pcrid=19648143324&pmt=b&mtrckid=17394at10470

Did you file a report with the airline about your cracked bag as soon as it came off the carousel? That happened to me on Jet Blue, and they replaced the bag. Also, Heys has a lifetime warranty that if damage is caused by a defect they will repair it for free. It is extremely lightweight and has spinner wheels so it is easy to navigate through airports and hotel hallways. I know you have the Jeep one now, but Heys is a good brand to keep in mind for future luggage choices.

4. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't file a report, as I knew it would happen eventually and don't feel it was from airline mishandling. I did contact the manufacturer and filled out the required warranty claim and provided pictures and a description. If it doesn't get replaced from them, I'm happy with the usage it provided up until now. These lightweight hardsides are marvelous. I rolled all around Europe on my first one and it held enough for almost two weeks. Got more than the original $49 of use from it.

5. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an update that I got an email today from the manufacturer of my original piece. They have sent a replacement, free of charge, and provided a FedEx tracking number, along with instructions to dispose of the original damaged suitcase. Wow.

6. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta love when a company stands behind a product like that and takes care of it's customer.

7. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking of that jeep one at WM too, or the soft sided American Tourister soft one for same price it was the biggest they had and has 10 year warranty.... Need for our April LV trip

8. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as Heys luggage goes, Sams Club has great prices on it, better than Overstock.

I need another large bag, will check out the Jeep next time I go to Hell, I mean wal*mart.

What does that bag weigh Sam?

No reason to go home yet.
  9. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure of the weight, but Walmart lists the shipping weight at 13.5 pounds. I guess that would include the crate if it was being sent to your door. It seems less heavy than that. As with the previous hardside, I'm a little unsure of it being held closed with just the zipper, so I use one of the luggage straps they sell in the same department at Walmart (for about four dollars) to hold the two halves of the shell closed for extra security. Also makes it easier to identify at baggage claim.

[​IMG]

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just watched a show (maybe 3 days ago) on "How They Make It" and they showed the complete construction of these plastic hard shell luggage cases.......if you watch it, you will wonder how they hold up at all and wonder how they get so much money for these things....but then they put it into a machine that looks like a HUGE clothes dryer and let it tumble for hours on end to check it's durability on selected samples from every production run.....and by god they hold up... :)

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Instructions to dispose of? Open garbage lid, insert luggage, close lid?:evillaugh

12. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Samsonite rolling hard-side carry-on that I absolutely LOVE! I'm seriuosly going to cry when it gives out. But mine is the old school actual hard side now these flexible hard side jobs. I'm very leery of them. How do you guys think they compare to the old hard sides and how much better are they than a soft side? I do know that I'm paranoid about being forced to check my carry-on which is my primary reason for trying to get an early boarding number since I've heard they are susceptable to being cracked when handled by the luggage guys (seriously, whey do they have to LAUNCH each bad to the conveyer belt?).

On the strap posted earlier, I always use one of those on my checked luggage for 3 reasons: Extra security in case the zipper busts, easy identification, and as an extra lock since I have the TSA approved combination lock kind.

13. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had a Samsonite hardside the last 10 years. I could probably detonate a small bomb in it and it would contain it.

Lightweight and durable.

It is easy to make a hardside luggage that looks good. But is it really durable?

The Smasonites cost more but I am guessing they last 3x longer as most others.

http://shop.samsonite.com/Hardside/b/2235723011

14. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, no no, telling me to throw the old one away as opposed to mailing it back. Too funny.... :nworthy:+

Update: the replacement just arrived, and it is an improved version of the original, with a sturdier zipper, stronger pulls, an additional fastener with luggage attachment strap and a stain-resistant improved lining. Delivered by FedEx, all for the price of an email and 3 photos of the damage. Quite pleased.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.