1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Has anybody gone Skydiving in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by BKCallaway83, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BKCallaway83

BKCallaway83 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any recommendations?
    Experiences?

This will be my first jump

2. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there are 30 mile winds blowing what happens to you?

3. BKCallaway83

BKCallaway83 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll definitely miss the landing area.

They said they cancel the jumps if the wind is at a certain speed.

4. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been wondering about this too. My brother's 40th birthday is next year. I thought it may be a good opportunity. Then I realized the view would pretty much be exactly what we see on the flight approach. So I'm not sure, and I'm leaning away from it now.

5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son was in the Army 82 airborne and he told me that one time the winds
    came all of a sudden and one of the jumpers was blown back against the side of the plane and died.

I would not risk a loved one on vacation. If they sky jump in their own home town and an accident happens..... then stuff like that happens sometimes.

But to go to Vegas to have fun and a loved one dies.... that makes people feel
    real guilty. Do you all know what I mean? Nervous Nelly

6. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried it several years ago, as part of my program to get over my fear of heights. It's fun! Here's an excerpt of what I said at the time:
    "I chose tandem diving, where you're strapped to an instructor. This requires very limited training, and seems a lot safer to me (as I told the instructor, 'if I go, you go!'). Jumping out of the plane is scary, but free falling isn't scary at all, just a wild few seconds. Once the parachute opens, it takes about five minutes to land. Hints: if you're even slightly prone to motion sickness, take something beforehand; if you're not prone to motion sickness, choose the greatest altitude (around 15,000 feet), as that gives you the most free fall time."

I can't say which place is best. I used, and liked, Skydive Las Vegas. However, that was years ago, and in any case I have nothing to compare them to.

7. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think that the odds are the same, so do you want to feel guilty at home or do you want to feel guilty in Vegas?

8. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They cancel the jump. Same as anywhere.

It's not the issue of being blown back into the plane as much as the issue of being dragged to death on the ground.

9. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Yup, when I went skydiving we got there at like 8am but had to wait around 5 hours until they were comfortable with the weather conditions. Even though it was a nice day from our perspective.

In the military they don't have the luxury of only jumping when the weather is ideal.

If you have a choice between tandem or the static line they attach to automatically pull your chute open choose tandem. The funnest part is the freefall so when you're tandem you get to have a long freefall. And you really don't even notice the instructor is strapped to your back. Over here is only tandem. I've seen videos of the static line which doesn't look as fun because your chute opens almost right after you jump so you barely get a freefall, just the slow descent down which is cool but not really adrenaline pumping.

10. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been part of military jumps that were cancelled due to weather. Especially in training. I've also seen them when they should have been cancelled but weren't. Not pretty. Even during combat if the weather was too bad they'd call it off. It's not an effective mission if you lose half your guys on the way in. Certainly the threshold is a lot higher than a recreational jump, though. Plus you're jumping at maybe 800 feet, so you've only got to worry about surface winds.

If you jump static line, make sure that your crotch straps are adjusted well. I won't go into detail...just trust me on that one.

11. anonanon

anonanon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 for Skydive Las Vegas. There out of Boulder City, they pick you up in a van on the strip and take you to the jumpzone. Was an absolute blast and I'm afraid of heights!! Once you jump from the plane (which is totally scary, not going to lie) the freefall experience is absolutely amazing, but not for the faint of heart!!

Also, spring for the video of your jump. My friends needed proof that I actually jumped, so I got the dvd :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.