1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

STATE LAW and Spouse as Driver

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Kcitsme, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While shopping around for prices on a renal, I was reading the fine print on Alamo's web site. Below is what was posted there.

Note: State law in California, Illinois, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon, and Wisconsin allow the spouse to be an automatic authorized driver as long as renter requirements are met.

I never knew that.

Here is an article from Fox News, Dated Dec 14, 2011 that I found interesting. It lists ways to have additional drivers add to the policy at no charge.

Share the Wheel Without Paying for Additional Drivers

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2011/12/14/all-about-additional-driver-fees/#ixzz2N59qJx9Y

2. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes ... very much correct !! Thanks for reminding everyone !!
    I have been preaching this very issue, ever since we became regulars with Alamo a few years ago. There is an "older" lady "attendant / clerk" at the Alamo station in the car-barn facilility, who answers a lot of questions for customers, and helps people use the kiosks. She was the one a few years back who told us to never sign-up your spouse for the "extra-pay" driver. She has told us several times that Alamo will never try to make you pay for that, but most of the other outlets will ... but it is not required ... it's automatically available for the spouse for free.

3. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never been charged for additional drivers in either Nevada or California. Last year I rented a mini van from Alamo at Long Beach, added my nephew at LAX, and then added my sister at Burbank. They kept the Van, and I rented another in LAS the same day. No problems, no questions, and no charge.

4. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is Avis policy nationwide to allow a spouse, domestic partner, and co-worker (on company business) to drive. Remember, AGE requirements do still exist and a guy that is old enough to rent a car doesn't mean his 18 year old bride can, for example. She/he still must be old enough to rent themselves.

5. Birdie7

Birdie7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have always rented from Alamofor the past 15 to 20 years that I can remember. We've always used codes from different memberships but I think mostly the one from Walmart and it always included an additional driver. Well it's about time we start shopping elsewhere since Alamo is not the cheapest for us anymore. I just didn't want to assume and I value the message board members opinion very much. Now Advantage prices look much better right now. I should have prepaid on Budget for a week 2 weeks ago and it was only $130 but I wasn't sure how prepaid works if you should have to cancel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.