1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airfare Advice..

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Lhammer28, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, I think I know what to do, but Id like others opinions.

We got back from Vegas last week Thursday and well, I immedeatly wanted to go back, so I looked at airfare on Saturday and for the days I put in on southwest, it was the normal pricing...like $398 round trip, per person....this is for September 3-6 btw, They have the discounts, but we dont need a hotel. I looed at Frontier on the same day, it was $418 RT for BOTH. That was when I got hubby on board, I mean its my bday, so I should get what I want! Well, I went today and Frontier is at $800 RT for both. The flights were $98 each way and no they are the same as SW. Should I wait until like 3 weeks, or even wait to see if they have specials or just book now? I know I have a long time, but its Vegas and I tend to get over excited!

2. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep waiting. Too early to be concerned at this point. Just keep a daily watch on them.
    FYI -- SW has a sale that started today.

3. burdog

burdog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm hoping that one of their sales will include CMH because that rate has been 171 for the last 2 months.

4. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, wait and watch...and as soon as something comes up that you are comfortable with...book that baby!!! I am also going in Sept....7 or 8 to the 12th, and I am prepared to book when I find what I am looking for...unfortunately I will be moving before Sept, and will not be able to fly SWA but a very remote area of the Midwest that has very few options. I still refuse to fly Allegiant Airlines...even if they are cheaper. Just keep watching, SWA will have a sale end of May to Mid June that you should find a steal.

5. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate waiting, only because I feel like the trip can get cancelled if we dont have the tix, but once I get em, theres no turning back for me! but I guess I will wait. Waiting sucks!

6. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Unless I see a super deal, I always wait for airfare to come down, which is usually does, starting at about 45 days into date of trip.

7. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was also hoping for a sale out of CMH, but the rate went up today to $181. :cry:

I'm not sure if I should wait any longer or just bite the bullet now.

8. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd wait, check fares at least every day (more frequently if possible), and wouldn't get too nervous until the last 3 weeks. Even then, I've seen fares drop even within 2 weeks of departure.

9. Bossplayer21

Bossplayer21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'am the opposite when it comes to booking airfare. If possible I book ASAP. I booked my Sept 2-9 trip back in November 2012 when the Sept fares just came out on Delta. $277 RT non stop from Detroit. They will never be as low or lower again in my experience. Same flights already $400 and will be $600 before September hits.

Of course your situation is a little different because you are planning a return trip without that much time in between. $400 RT for both of you to fly? I'd lock that up. It won't drop all that much for you to take on the risk. So you might save $20-$50...big deal.

10. PopsOLA

PopsOLA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We go to Vegas every march/April and October/nov of every year. So I check southwest almost daily. I have noticed that prices are usually lower if booked tues-thurs. this is the most I've paid for round trip at $238 from San Antonio. I didn't think I would find lower again as all my other trips have been 180-200 rt, and last week during their "special for the summer" it was listed at regular rates, the out of the blue on a Monday the prices dropped to $192 RT. shocked me! Unfortunately we had booked the rooms and car and the 4 of us had already scheduled the vacation and the only days the flights were not on sale were the days we were going!! Lol.

Long story short, check daily. Worst case since it sounds like you already have the Vegas bug, find a decent deal and book it. Rebook if price drops, they will offer you credit towards future flight.

11. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm somewhat confused. You said at one point it was $417 RT for both. I don't know why you wouldn't take that.

If you didn't get that and it has now gone up to $400+/person then, I agree with everyone else, wait.

12. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sept 3 should be cheap because it's a Tuesday. Sept 6th probably won't be, because it's a Friday.

Go to Southwest and put in your dates. Then click on the "Try Our Low Fare Calendar" and backtrack to April and May, find some dates that look cheap, and click to see what the full range of fares are.

That will give you some idea of where the sweet spot is for Southwest in terms of how far out from departure you can expect the best fares (excluding special sales).

Always book Southwest trips as one-ways. If you book a round trip and you later see that the fare went down on one leg, it might have gone up on the other leg.

The only way to be sure you get the lowest fare is to check every day.

13. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you look at Frontier, especially leaving on a Tues or Weds, prices will be very cheap. You just have to check it daily, sometimes multiple times a day! We found $70 each way from Indiana to LV back in Dec for our Mar/April trip.

14. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didnt book it because I didnt have my hubbys go-ahead. when i finally got it, it doubled. Now Im second guessing bc I dont want to have a layover, even tho its cheaper on Frontier...Im willing to pay a little more for no layover.
    I have been checking every day multiple times and the cheapest I found for BOTH RT is $743...
    I think Im going to wait til July-ish... unless it dips below $700...

Thanks everyone

15. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't have to book as two one-ways. Southwest will allow you to change just one leg, and give you a credit for the difference on that leg. I've done it a couple times already for a trip in May.

16. burdog

burdog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are going to hold out, SWA usually has some kind of sales around holidays for travel beyond that holiday. (Hoping 4th July).

17. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually book our Oct/Nov trip in mid June. SW has had a good anniversary sale for the last few years and we have gotten really good deals.

18. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

So thats good to know. Ill be keeping an eye out for that sale!! I just missed the MKE sale, they had 25% off flights from MKE, but travel had to be before June. So I think since they keep going up and down between $175-250 each way, Im going to wait...I booked my Feb trip in Jan and it was that high.

19. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would wait since you have time on yur side at this point. The good thing about SWA is that if a decent price comes along, you can book and if a better one comes along you can rebook and use the credit next time around! I agree totally with Turtleman's advice. You mentioned that your are checking daily several times.....that is important. I have seen them go up and down in a matter of hours sometimes. I look constantly when I have a computer available to me.

Another ip that is handy is to use their travel calender. By going a day early or later on either end of the trip if you are flexible can mean hundreds in savings or better times. Good luck. Keep checking,......it's part of the fun of a trip to LV!!

Jimbo338

20. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Soooo here we are again.. I was approved and I am waiting for my TR credit card to put the flights on to get 2xs points.... well after flights being $169 Each Way for the last week to $228 each way, I havent been more irritated & I know I have 4 1/2 months still, but I just want to book it!!! I saw someone wrote about the SW anniversary sale, does anyone have any info on that, or at least what it has been in the past? I hope my card comes soon so I can book the flights the min I see flights low again! Now, I could go Frontier, but I hate layovers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.