1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Nicer Room vs Basic....

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by LadyShaye, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyShaye

LadyShaye Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am making my 8th trip and I have always stayed at cheapo places - Westward Ho, Plaza, Ballys and once I did a bit of an upgrade to PH! Anyway I am going with my mother and she's a cheapskate so she wants to book the cheapest thing we can find - which as of now would be Harrahs. I am trying to talk her into spending a little more and try Aria, PH or Elara. We don't spend a lot of time in the room - she isn't a big gambler - shopping (oh and maybe drinking?) will probably be the main focus of our trip. Anyone have any input as to why vacation would be better at a nice joint? LOL.... We aren't going til October for 6 nights - so I will keep watching for price drops - but I am also very impatient and tend to book as early as possible!

2. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stick with your mom's request. With what you stated, she may even be upset if you darn spend extra on an upgraded room.

3. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, respect your Mom's wishes. Someday when you go to Las Vegas without her, you can pick where you will stay.

4. LadyShaye

LadyShaye Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well you people aren't any fun! It isn't like she wouldn't enjoy somewhere nicer :)

5. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom is similar to yours. And I am similar to you and enjoy a nicer room, when I go with others, I like staying at Wynn, Aria or TheHotel. She is all about the bargain. Our first trip, she was put off by paying for a room at TI, and all she talked about the whole time was "We don't need anything this fancy!!" and so on the next two trips we stayed at Ballys. The first time was on a fully comp, and they upgraded us because it was Mother's Day. The second time we got a normal room. She has finally conceded that Bally's isn't all that nice and is willing to give somewhere else a try. So...because I know how much she likes a "deal", I've been playing the MyVegas game nonstop to earn a free room for our trip in May. Right now we have two nights in a tower suite at Mirage, and hopefully will have two more nights somewhere else pretty soon. This way, we're both happy!

6. billduhcat

billduhcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cleaner room (hopefully)
    More comfortable bed
    Potentially less crazy people
    Better in-room amenities

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the cheapest will be the quad the old ip.

its a full blown hard hat construction site.

this means walking through it everyday.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand where both of you are coming from. I think that if someone is that stuck on a budget room, there is a limit to how much they will appreciate a higher end hotel, especially when they get there and see the food costs. Try and split the difference with a place like Monte Carlo or Paris.

9. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well how cheap is cheap? Specific dates in October? I'd go maybe 1-2 steps up PH is good, MGM, Luxor, Monte Carlo, Paris, Mandalay. I know my parents always want a deal too, but we definitely want the nicest place possible for the money. Sometimes we book 3 or 4 times before we get the lowest rate.

I've noticed MGM to be running the best deals lately. Here's a good one, starting around $68 a night.

Book Early & Save

Or Luxor is even cheaper. $41 Non refundable promo

Aria would probably be 3-5x as much as those. Elara is never on special. Overall It's pretty early to be booking October, not many deals out yet.

10. Remon1977

Remon1977 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say just book the cheaper room now just to make you mom happy. But keep your eyes open for a nice offer. We booked the monte carlo for 2 weeks for 1500, but we got a great deal at THEHotel and are now staying there for the same money.
    Just make sure you always book a room you can cancel.

11. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who's paying for the room? who's paying for drinks and food?

This is what it should come down to

12. LadyShaye

LadyShaye Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we split costs - i will end up paying the difference to stay somewhere nicer... i was just looking for views i may not have thought about.

13. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The extra money spent on a fancy room is somewhat wasted if you won't spend a lot of time in it. My advice, get a really nice room for one night of the trip. It will cost much less than uograding for all six nights, and when you have that nice room you can make a point to spend a little more time enjoying the room and the amenities. Anything at the Cosmopolitan with a balcony would be pretty spectacular... Especially a fountain view. Or do the one night off the strip at the Golden Nugget... That way you can see some stuff downtown and hit the outlets in that area for shopping. A really nice room at GN is usually not much more than a standard room on the strip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.