1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How to maximize comp value when employer is paying for the room

Discussion in 'Comps' started by fas87, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fas87

fas87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just found out that my wife may be going to Vegas for a conference, and I'm thinking about tagging along. Obviously, her employer will be paying for the room and her meals. I don't know yet where she will be staying.

Based on my play, I typically qualify for room comps up front (just about anywhere) and some or all f&b (depending on the quality of resort, e.g., some f&b at Bellagio or all f&b at Mirage).

I'm wondering how to maximize my comps in this situation since I theoretically don't have to use any comp value for the room. For example, can I earn additional comps toward f&b if I am not staying on a room comp?

Any good ideas for my situation? I know that some of you out there have attended conferences in Vegas...how did you use your comps?

As an aside, I suppose this may be considered an efficient way to employ the "comp yourself" system that has been discussed on the boards recently.

As always, thanks in advance and apologies if this topic was recently discussed.

2. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about staying a few extra days and using your comps after the conference is over?

3. stuntin909

stuntin909 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would take advantage of it and gamble somewhere new to give me more options in the future.

4. fas87

fas87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the responses so far. Staying longer would be great, but I only have so much vacation. Also, I don't have the bankroll discipline to stay longer than a few days.

My current thought is exactly what stuntin909 suggests. I don't have any play history at Wynn, and I've been thinking about maybe concentrating play there to see if I can get any room offers for the future.

5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

With a name like fas87 I'd imagine you already made a big spreadsheet to analyze all your options :)

I agree with stuntin as well. Unless you roll really high or really low it's easy to get stuck in a cycle of staying where you get comped and therefore playing there as well. This is a good opportunity to build some history with a new place without having to worry about getting any back-ended comps. Wynn is perfect for that.

6. ABQJeff

ABQJeff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel to Vegas a few times a year, a couple of times on someone else's dime. I've done it a few different ways, and the best way to handle it depends on circumstances. Some considerations:
    Airfare: Flying back on a Friday or Saturday versus the normal return days of Wednesday or Thursday. Not surprisingly, it's normally cheaper to fly OUT of Vegas on a weekend. Most companys don't have a problem letting you fly out a few days later when it's saving them (often substantially) money on the return flight. The company saves money, and you get a longer trip. If you have a preferred flyer, keep this in mind as well. You can build additional points or use your points for a free flight. Again, it depends on your circumstance.

Hotel: Your situation is a little different than mine usually as your spouse is the one on the trip. When I'm in Vegas while I'm working I don't generate much ADT. Because of that I'm reluctant to stay at my normal places. I'll usually extend my trip and get a comp room at another hotel tacked on to the end of the trip.

Host: One of my most successful stays was at Aria. Was booked for three nights on a conference. Called my host at Mandalay and asked if she could help me out. She got me a host at Aria who set us up with free play and a limo. Wife came along on FF miles, and used express comps for meals while I was working. I played more than I would usually. In the end we started getting good offers from Aria (which my wife loves) an a minimal cost. I was beat at the end of the trip, even though we wrapped things up by 10-11 pm every night.

Also, keep in mind that your wife will usually be pretty busy during her conference and might want the extended stay. Happy wife, happy life.

In short, I'm a fan of extending a trip, but I agree with the other posters that it's an excellent opportunity to build worth with another place at minimum cost.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just talk to a host at the end of your trip and you can have them pick up f&b since you don't need the room comped.

8. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some years ago I was staying at Mandalay Bay for a conference and although I hadn't planned to play too much, I gave them quite a bit of coin-in. Enough that a host came over and introduced himself. He said he noticed I was staying on property and that my room would be picked up. I told him that would be very bad for me since my employer is expecting a copy of the invoice on the expense report. He said that's not a problem, happens all the time, I could go directly through him for up-front comps for any meals or services I needed for the duration of my trip so they wouldn't appear on the bill. He added that he'll hook me up next time.

That started a relationship with Mandalay Bay for me that lasted a few years. Eventually, their VP paytables got worse and other properties treated me better, but for a while, he did indeed hook me up.

9. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubbie and I went once on the company's dime. I talked to a host and he was able to comp us some awesome show tickets and whatever meals the co wasnt picking up. So that might be an option.

10. fas87

fas87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the responses. Lots of different and interesting perspectives!

11. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a superb opportunity to get everything else on your trip for free. Just charge all your meals to your room and go see a host after the trip. Tell him that you'd like to see what other stuff he can take off.

12. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have much to offer but really like these two recommendations:
    1 - Try a different property.
    or
    2 -Ask for show tickets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.