1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Blackjack single buy in amount (not considering bankroll management)

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by KBT2012, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to blackjack, I've donked off money here and there on it carelessly many times, but I would like to give it a serious go next trip out. What is typically YOUR stack size for BJ? I've read that it can be anywhere from 10-20 average bets but to me that seems small, I've ran out of my initial buy in in about 10 hands or less before. Is a $500 buy in an average green chip stack size or is that too small for some if you guys?

I'll be at the Wynn for a few days with a buddy so I figure I will bankroll 3K for the trip which will mostly consist of $15 craps, slots, and BJ (if I can get a feel for stack sizing and play for a good bit of time).

2. Kickin

Kickin Flea

10-20x your average bet is normal for a buy-in. Anything much more than that is pretty excessive. But it doesn't really matter, a lot of it is just personal preference. You'll see people who buy-in for very little and keep pulling more cash out of their pockets all the time. I was playing mostly the $100 DD BJ table last trip and saw people who kept buying in for just around $500 over and over again. For green chip play buying in for $300 to $500 is perfectly reasonable.

3. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer more of a hit and run strategy and if I have some luck on a table, then I don't mind staying there. My average buyin is closer to 10x minimum which is probably 4-8X my avg bet. I have zero issues being off a table in 15 minutes though because then I just head elsewhere.

20X your avg bet seems very reasonable to me if your goal is to sit on the table for 1-2 hours. Yes, you could lose it all. You could also be up $1500 in an hour.

I think a better measure is how much are you willing to risk and how long to you want to make sure you get to play. There is no issue with buying in for $300 and then if that goes quickly throw down another $300. That is identical to just going in for $600 at the start.

4. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20X your bet is the minimum that I would buy in for. I think it looks bush to keep pulling money out of your wallet. Also, if you buy in for more, you make more of a splash towards comps. Not much, but some.

$15 craps with 3-4-5 odds might have some volatility though. Having $90 out there with the point of 6 or 8, and then maybe a come bet too, doesn't take much of a bad streak to blow through a grand.

5. WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20x is plenty. I'd say you have a 90% chance of still being in action after 30 minutes with that buy-in, and 70% chance after an hour.

Buying in for $1000 at a $25 table (if you are just going to bet $25 at a time) looks like an attempt to show-off.

6. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, and I know about the dice side of things. The greatest feeling is placing across then immediately after the point is set, SEVEN /sarcasm.

7. JDinTN

JDinTN MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep 40 times your bet would be overkill. My bets vary a lot so while I may buyin for 20 times by base bet it probably ends up being less than 10 times my actual average.

8. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll usually buy in for $1k and play two spots of $50. So with $500 I'd do two spots of $25. That's not a rule or necessarily even good advice, it's just what I do.

At two spots of $50 I'll go as high as two spots of $300 or so if I'm on a rush, but again I play pretty recklessly.

9. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At $25 on 2 spots, $500 is also my buyin. Granted it is only 10 hands, but I feel the 2 spots takes some of the volatility out of it. Risk of ruin on 10 hands is very low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.