1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Craps dice stragety?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by Srvanwyk, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Srvanwyk

Srvanwyk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's everyone's personal preference for throwing style, table position and the setting of the dice?

2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm always fascinated by the intricate routines people have for craps.

Personally, I try to be in the front left corner, or the back right corner (if you're standing facing the boxman), since I'm right-handed and shoot the dice like a line drive down the table. It's sort of hard to describe, now that I think about it. I'll sometimes try to set the dice to what I want, but just out of superstition; I'm under no illusion that I can actually influence the dice, but I think it's good luck.

I also arrange my chips in a very particular way, but that's a discussion for another thread.

3. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are some interesting articles on 'dice control'. This is a game-play theory that has yet to be accepted by the wide variety of people.

I was however practicing on a $5 table and had a guy betting more compliment me on my practicing of dice control.

I am still unsure whether it works, but if it doesn't take the fun out of it...why not give it a whirl. At worst it does nothing, at best it does a little more.

4. boxcars

boxcars High-Roller

I believe dice are dice. Dice setting is a waste of time if attempting to control the actual outcome.

However, if dice setting seems to work, whether superstitiously or otherwise, go for it! Even things like If you scratch your head, take off your glasses, spin around and take a drink before throwing the dice results in a point, go for it!!!

5. Apaulcalypse

Apaulcalypse Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm also in the "dice are dice" camp. I pick 'em up and throw 'em. I don't mind dice setting as long as it doesn't hold things up too much. Someone spending 10-15 seconds setting the dice before every throw is just being a jerk in my opinion.

6. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like that everyone has their own way of throwing. Keeps it interesting. I like to throw backhand, so I prefer to be just to the left of the stick.

7. boxcars

boxcars High-Roller

My favorite place to stand around the table is at the every end, or next to the dealer. The worst place for me is next to the stick man. I like to toss the dice with a little more force!

8. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have any strategy for throwing the dice, only where I stand. Hopefully near an attractive lady. :)

9. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Backhand" is probably the word I was looking for earlier. Either to the left of the stick, or just next to the dealer on the right side of the boxman (if you're facing the boxman).

And I agree completely that dice setting is a waste if you're really trying to influence the outcome. That being said, I find that the majority of stickmen I've come across tend to set the dice to the point even before pushing them over to you, so I've got to think it's at least good luck!

10. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like backhand as well. However if I'm next to the stickman it's a high angle like a sands wedge shot, if I'm going the length of table it's more like 5 iron and I try not to get the dice above the back wall.

11. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i totally agree!.

12. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I despise dice setters - those that think they can influence the outcome of the dice by taking classes, reading books and buying practice rigs for their basements. The only people who make money that way are the people that teach the classes, write the books and sell the rigs.

However....

I love the traditions and superstitions of craps. I have no problem with someone setting the dice with the two threes in a V or shaking dice, or tapping them three times on the table. It is part of the charm of the game. And superstions - like "same dice" when they go off the table, or not hitting peoples hands or chips - are so much what makes craps the fun game that it is.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite spot is one right of the stick. I set em in the flying V even though I know I don't really have a controlled throw. Who cares ? I still like doing it.

14. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or right to the left of the stick........BECAUSE sometoes cant see the roll if i am at the opposite end of the table if the if the tables arent well light

15. lucky13

lucky13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    me , i have to be at the end of the table ... i dunno i guess i like to throw the dice all the way down the table
    i love to throw the dice , so i play at tables where i am by myself or with only a few other players
    i like to try and control the dice /and the potential outcome ... so i like to roll ...
    to me the dice must hit the far end wall to be a complete roll
    i hate when someone will shake the dice in their hand before rolling ( like they are playing yahtzee) just bugs me
    i will roll so the dice will hit the table about 1/2 way down then bounce off the far wall ...
    if i cannot be at the end of a table i will NOT play i will wait or find another table , superstition i guess

16. justme1

justme1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i try to stand at the left corner by the stick man and aim for the spot between the mirror and right corner to make the dice roll around the back to the left corner

17. Steve in RI.

Steve in RI. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to get to the right of the stick person since I'm right handed. I try to hit the dice low on the back wall without too much force. I don't claim to be an expert on "dice setting" or influencing the roll. However, I think I may have had better luck doing it this week. Of course it could just be superstition.

18. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer being stick left and at an empty table or with just a very few number of people.

19. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like being straight out. I hate the awkwardness of throwing from the side and I like being able to easily see down the table. I am also a little "wide" and don't mind being the backboard when the dice bounce off the table to keep them from hitting the floor.

20. tacallian

tacallian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw one guy who obviously liked to mix traditions. He kept calling "Monkey" every time he rolled. :p

Myself, I've never really had a heater of a roll. I just grab the dice off the felt and chuck them down the table hoping none take flight.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.