1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lobster

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Dearns, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dearns

Dearns Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all.

My wife and I have never had lobster and we think we're going to try it for the first time when we visit Vegas this year.

Neither of us are fans of seafood but it's something that we'd like to have at least once just to say that we tried it. I'd imagine we'd be able to have it at a seafood buffet but that wouldn't really be a practical option for us.

Has anyone had it at a 'regular' buffet or would we be better to have it with a steak when we visit a steakhouse? Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks

2. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I have gotten good lobster in Vegas, I have also had lobster that was completely ruined by the kitchen - even in high $ restaurants. The most expensive Buffet I know, the Sterling Brunch at Bally's Steakhouse, absolutely destroyed the lobster. It was baked until it was dry and almost chalky. Lobster should be moist and soft.

Because of this inconsistency, Vegas may not be the best place to try lobster for the first time. If you decide to try it anyways, the best lobster dish I have had in Vegas was the Lobster Pot Pie at Nobhill. I didn't think I would like it, heck I didn't want to like it... lobster should be steamed and served with butter, nothing else, IMHO... but it was delicious. If they are still open when you visit, that might be your best bet.

3. Srvanwyk

Srvanwyk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las Vegas is so hit and miss I've had excellent lobster at the sterling brunch... But it really is a crap shoot.

4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's decent lobster at the Sterling Brunch, which is very expensive, but I'd really recommend going to a decent restaurant. While it's true that even there it can get messed up, you're much more likely to get a good lobster (or lobster tail, which I might recommend going for) at a nice steakhouse than you are at a buffet. Also, though nobody's suggested it here yet, I'd bear in mind that although the Rio seafood buffet has "lobster", I believe that it's actually slipper lobster tails, which are pretty tiny and a totally separate species from true lobsters.

5. NCISfan

NCISfan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are missing out on the most perfect, delicious food ever. :faint:

6. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Do not, I repeat, do not go to any buffet, even a place like Bally's brunch, for a sampling of lobster.
    Either go to a sit down restaurant or wait until you're in Maine and have 'em fresh.

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pay the money to try some lobster where you live.

Its really sort of like a giant shrimp.

In vegas they are pumpimg them out so they dont care abouyt the quality. thats in a buffet.

In a fancy place you will pay a serious premium for it.

8. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ding Ding Ding! Correct answer!

9. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Come to New England or Nova Scotia if you want lobster the way it should be - fresh out of the ocean and prepared simply.

10. jacj2020

jacj2020 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second Cousin Eddie's advise.

11. trooth

trooth Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had great lobster in Maine, it is hard to top that. Caribbean Lobster just isnt the same. With that said you could go to lobster me and try one of their dishes for a moderate price. They do one thing only, and that is Lobster. It is much less of a gamble there.

12. trooth

trooth Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had great lobster in Maine, it is hard to top that. Caribbean Lobster just isnt the same. With that said you could go to lobster me and try one of their dishes for a moderate price. They do one thing only, and that is Lobster. It is much less of a gamble there. It is in the miracle mile shops.

http://lobsterme.com/

Sorry for double post.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  13. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Once you've had lobster in Maine, it will never taste the same again, anywhere else.

14. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just some generic observations here ...

Unless I was sure of the supply chain, I'd not eat lobster in Vegas, and if I did, it would come at a high price because it would come in live and it would be prepared by someone who appreciates the inputs. So I'd call around.

On the flip side, it's like crab legs, folks going all gonzo about how awesome they are here but for shiat there, and probably 98+ percent of that comes in precooked/brine frozen, so the determining factor becomes the reanimation process and how many times they are steamed and resteamed and heatlamped and how long they sit around steeping in their own (and introduced) salty goo and the like.

Atlantic salmon, "real" salmon; Pacific lobster, "real" lobster.

Eat local, eat slow, whenever possible.

16. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was also going to suggest 'Lobster ME' for a taste of lobster (e.g. lobster roll). But if your budget allows for a fresh, properly prepared Maine lobster dinner in Las Vegas, I would go for it. You will get the full flavor and experience.

See Yelp reviews for Lobster ME: http://www.yelp.com/biz/lobster-me-las-vegas They do have some odd dishes, but you might enjoy trying something here.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  17. VegasKing

VegasKing High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The previous comments say to wait til you go to Maine. If that were the case for me, I would have never eaten lobster and probably never would. I am sure Maine is wonderful, but it is not exactly on my top 49 states I want to visit. If you are in Maine, great eat the lobster. In Vegas, you should be able to find some great lobster as well. I am sure not like the eutopian lobster of Maine, but wonderful nonetheless.

That being said, you asked about your advice for lobster while in Vegas. I would advise you to go to a nice seafood restaurant as opposed to a buffet option. Steakhouse would be a good option if you just want it as an addition to your steak, and you did not want just the lobster.

18. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree totally.

19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A colleague has a summer home on one of the islands off the coast of Maine, he can go to the docks in the summer and pay $2 per lb. for live lobster. Caribbean lobster is all tail and no claws.

20. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vinalhaven?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.