1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

John Alleman, Heart Attack Grill Unofficial Spokesman, Dies From Heart Attack

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Iu25, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The restaurant is living up to its name.

3. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    John Alleman, the unofficial spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas, has died of a heart attack.

For the past year and a half, Alleman would stand outside of the restaurant and try to encourage people to come inside. Owner Jon Basso didn't actually pay him for this, but would occasionally give him some free food.

“I told him if you keep eating like this, it’s going to kill ya,” Basso told the Las Vegas Sun.

The Heart Attack Grill is known for its over-the-top burger creations such as the quadruple bypass burger, which holds the Guinness World Record for "most calorific burger."

The restaurant posted a message on its Facebook page explaining how much Alleman meant to customers and employees:

For the past 18 months if you happen to walk by the Heart Attack Grill you were probably approached by our new spokesman John Alleman. So colorful was John's sales pitch that we placed him on the cover of our menu. He was so popular with the customers that last summer we gave him his own "Patient John" clothing line on our website. John truly loved HAG and would spend hours every day getting the word out to anyone who would listen.

Alleman's heart attack is the most recent health incident surrounding the restaurant. In 2011, another Heart Attack Grill spokesman died at age 29. The following year, a customer suffered a heart attack while eating a triple bypass burger. Two months after that, a customer collapsed while eating a double bypass burger.

Last year, Basso gave a candid interview to Eater Vegas. He calls his burger concept "absolutely honest" and explains "I don't tell anyone to come to the Heart Attack Grill more often than once a month. I say it right in the door, 'Caution this establishment is bad for your health.'"

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
  4. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They should change the name to Schadenfatty.

Too soon? :evillaugh

5. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the few times I have been to Vegas since it has been opened, I always stop to admire the place, but have yet to eat there. I am not sure I will this time either, but you have to admire the marketing genius in the place, its just one of those places that people want to stop in and see what all the fuss is about.

Last time I was there I stood outside looking in and watched as a very large fellow was getting ready to get weighed for the free meal. Not sure if he got it or not, as I ended up walking away soon after, but the whole thing is like a circus sideshow.

6. Rumdranker

Rumdranker Grateful Lurker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unpaid?

I don't know how I feel about the "spokesman" pushing their product, but not getting paid for it. Not even getting free meals? The even had the menu character fashioned after this guy.

In the article it states that both his parents died from heart related issues in their 50's.

I still might try it...am I pushing the envelope. I won't be there everyday like this guy was though. Feel a lil sad for him.

:drunk:
    For John Alleman.

7. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like there are probably just as many healthy/curious people who go there and eat as there are super-fatties and unhealthy people.

I may be making a logical leap here, but if he ate there every day, I assume he qualified for their "over 350 pounds and it's free" promotion. If both his parents died from heart problems in their 50s, he was just a ticking timebomb; the restaurant perhaps just expedited Darwin's cold hand

8. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I snapped this in november, and love Pulp Fiction:

[​IMG]

9. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great picture, I love Pulp Fiction as well, probably watched it 25-30 while I was in college!

10. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *poof* I merged all the threads into this one, which is why there is some repetition.

Thanks!

12. Vegascash2

Vegascash2 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't believe they have a burger with 9986 calories, they couldn't add a couple of pickles to reach the 10000 calorie mark?

13. CenterfieldNine

CenterfieldNine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not joking or overexaggerating -- I have walked past this place of course many times, and the last time I walked past it in December I literally gagged. literally I kind of dry heaved a bit.

This concept and restaurant is the most unappetizing and disgusting thing I've seen for a place trying to get you to buy food. And I am NO health nut, I assure you, and eat burgers and fries and shakes on a monthly occasion roughly. (ESPECIALLY willing to be unhealthy when in Vegas)

Something about this place just gives me the heebie-jeebies. I can't explain what it is, but i can assure you i'd vomit if forced to eat even a fry in that building. To me: Gross.

14. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need to get in there and try their french fries. I miss fries that are fried in lard instead of veggie oil.

15. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought the food there was absolutely horible. The burger had a funny taste to it and the fries were ok, but nothing great. You would think food being so high in fat and cooked in fat would taste much better. It was definately an experience though.

16. feltbettor

feltbettor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never understood why anyone would have a problem with these type of restaurants. When I used to smoke I understood why people voted to take smoking out of public buildings. As a smoker I didn't fault people not wanting me to endanger their life. But why do people have a problem with these restaurant chains when all they are doing is to sell a product that caters to people looking for food cooked the way they like it cooked.

I enjoy eating burgers in Las Vegas because, unlike my home state of Minnesota, Las Vegas allows me the option to have my burger ordered rare. I am aware that it might cause me harm. I choose to go against the warnings as I am willing to add some risk to my life if it means a more enjoyable meal.

No one, eating at these restaurants, is endangering anyone against their will. If some idiot wants to eat themselves into an early grave....I say bon appétit.

17. lucky13

lucky13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so i take it you dont really like the place ? :thumbsup:

18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Living is about variety and moderation. We run into health problems when we veer too far off this course. I say live and let live. Today we seem to be bombarded with well intentioned messages of don't eat this, don't drink that when the message should be its ok to have it once in awhile. I'm a non smoker, but I say smoke 'em if you got 'em.

But as others have mentioned, this guy had poor family history and was predisposed to heart disease. The free publicity for this place is priceless, save for the families of the folks who passed.

So you're in Vegas on vacation, have a triple bypass burger, it won't make a tinker's damn in relation to the big picture. Have a salad the next day and walk a couple extra miles to compensate.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  19. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm far from a heath nut too and was thinking about writing a response, but yours covers my feelings exactly! Unhealthy eating is one thing, but treating it as a virtue is another.

20. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sell high caloric hamburgs......how horrible and unhealthy........someone ought to give away free beer and drinks while they are playing slots......now there's something healthy and nice to do! lol, Hey, hate to be the bearer of bad news but we are ALL going to die! Think of it, wouldn't it be awful if we died of no apparent reason?

Jimbo338

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.