1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Seeking input from golfers

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by ken2v, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey gang ...

I'm working on a golf piece for a client. The best way to explain it is "how do I do that?" Not necessarily meaning bend it like Bubba, but 10 or so tips on things like keeping the dreaded lob wedge out of the bag but still hitting a high pitch, working the ball around a tree, how to deal with the number of Oregon Ducks uniform-like combos on your new $400 driver, how to hit a hybrid (tip, pinch it don't sweep it), proper spacing at the wedge end of the bag, etc. I'll be chatting with clubmakers, instructors, maybe a couple of the TV guys.

I have room for several entries and wanted to see what ya'll might find needing a cure and interesting.

Thanks.

Oh, and on your death beds you will receive total consciousness. So you'll have that going for you. Which is nice.

2. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a 10 handicap, but my biggest issue is one 95% of us ham and eggers have: I miss more greens than I hit, and when I'm in the froghair, I tend to hit that stinking 3 foot "chunk" at least twice a round!

I know I'm trying to "help" the club do it's job, but just can't help myself!!! I need a good drill on breaking that habit!

Thanks!

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have the beer after the round, not 2-3 before.:beer:

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how about how to hit a hybrid low? every hole yesterday i think was into the wind and i couldn't keep that damn club from launching the ball into outer-space. i miss my 2-iron!

5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of the more common mistakes I see

Guys set up "crooked " not square to the ball.
    Know the "lie" of the club ,lay it in the proper spot then set up around that.
    Swing in rhythm ,dont stop your swing esp. on chips and bunker shots.
    On a long shot where you cant reach the green dont knock a 3 wood into the woods ,use the irons you hit the most consistant,it's gonna take 2 shots anyhow.

6. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was once a single digit handicap and actually did some teaching, some biggest mistakes IMO from my observations are

-Golf Coarse Management is so important know where you want to go and where not to go
    -Work on short game and 150 yards and in
    -Dont be a hero if your in the woods take your lumps and chip out. You can turn an easy 5 into a quad trying that miracle shot
    -If you cant reach a par 5 in 2 with an iron lay up
    -When practicing last 10-15 balls I will mess with creating shots, like the low -hooded knock down for a hook or slice or other odd shots you may need now and again, never try and hit a shot on the coarse you havent practiced
    ** Most of all have fun its a game to release stress not create it **

7. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is best way to cure my slice playing left-handed

And what is best way to tee up a ball to keep it from shooting skyhigh in air but still get maximum distance:beer:

8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where to stand (with the camera) and how to have the camera-phone (wo)man help you with your stance, angle, line of flight, etc. what with camera phones as sophisticated as they are these days....

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How to lag long putts.

Middle distance (20+ yards of carry) chipping from fairway (from that distance I'm actually better from rough.

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only thing that comes to mind to me.

And I'm not any kind of instructor or pro,having said that my idea would be to play the ball of your back foot or try using a different club off your back foot to keep it low...Maybe a 4 iron if you have one.

11. etm117

etm117 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My hybrid is the opposite. I hit a line drive that never gets more than 25 feet off the ground (but goes the distance I want and usually straight, so I love the club). Maybe it is just that combination of that specific club and your swing. I would hit up a retailer that has the video practice screen and hit a few different hybrids to find one that fits your swing better.

As for the main question from Ken...

When playing courses in my area (northern Baltimore MD) the sand in the bunkers is usually not that great. More often than not you really cannot play a proper sand shot since it is a too firm to play under the ball and use the sand to pop the ball out. What is the recommendation on how to play sand shots like this? Even on better courses this is a problem if you are playing the day after a heavy rain where they have not yet raked out the bunkers.

12. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just rake the bunker ourselves

Lift ,rake and place, of course, this is among friends not in any official tournament .

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess it depends on whether it needs to be a full shot. You can bring your hands forward, do a 2/3 backswing and shorten your follow through and punch it.

But really, the whole purpose of hybrids is to help people who struggle with long irons get them up in the air. If you could hit a 2 iron, why did you need the hybrid?

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input. Just a couple idle thoughts:

Tight or thin/packed lie in the bunker -- take a wedge with less bounce, nip it.

As for the hybrid not getting airborne, that's a common problem. People look at a hybrid and think wood/long iron, but it's a club you need to hit like a short or mid iron; do not be afraid to get down and dig it. Most folks play it too far forward, as well.

On the driver launch thing, modern drivers need to be teed much higher than persimmon because distance is achieved through launch angle not spin rate. If the ball is ballooning it likely is teed too low and the swing is coming in on a still-downward angle. The ball needs to be struck on a slightly upward path.

15. Bookem Dano

Bookem Dano Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The hybrid tips are great. For the longest time I was hitting a big hook until I moved the ball back in my stance. I think sand shots are what the amateurs struggle with quite a bit. Lately I've commented that I hit sand shots like a 15 handicapper which is all well and good if you're a 15 but not if you're a 2...
    I seem to be smoking them over the green on greenside bunker shots.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.