1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Airlines win

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by trooth, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trooth

trooth Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first direct experience with Southwest has been very good. I talked a friend into coming out with me for my next trip in a few weeks. We decided to buy our tickets last night. He bought his at about 12:30am. That triggered a $30 rise in prices. I had to wait for my paycheck to clear and went to buy at 4:00am. It had gone up another $29. I bought the ticket and went back to sleep. I got up today and the price had dropped back down $59. I felt buyers remorse, of course. But I called southwest and the customer service rep answered within 1 minute, and walked me through doing a flight change which is free with south west. I changed to my same flight and got a $59 refund.

I will try to fly southwest whenever possible for the rest of my life as long as they keep up their service like this. I flew airtran twice last year which is owned by the, and had a good experience on both of them.

2. nubia11

nubia11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice refund! This is one of the big reasons that I stick with SWA. In my experience, they have the most flexible policies around changes and its easy to redeem credit and rewards.

Have a great trip!

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to hear... I fly SWA once or twice a month and I LOVE them, I rarely have issues and when I do I get the kinda service you described. Not everyone feels the same though, others have documented problems here and are no fans, but they've sure done right by me!

4. Kc4400

Kc4400 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love Southwest. Usually on-time. Decent rates, plenty of options out of Chicago Midway. Last year the changed our flight times with no hassle and no charge.

5. Llew

Llew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also a huge fan of Southwest. On time, nice voucher $ for voluntary bumps, lots of flights, flexible on changes even for cheapest fares, good rates, first 2 checked bags free, decent rewards program, good website, cockpit and crew (almost) always top-notch.

Just wish they had less peanut dust so that allergic friend could fly them as well.

6. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you!

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been on a couple SWA flights where the entire flight was served pretzels and no peanuts... my understanding is that someone identified themselves to the crew as having a peanut allergy. Nobody minded a bit.

I never really noticed how pungent the peanut dust is until one time I just wasn't interested in them and said no thanks... wow... when people start opening those little bags up, it is actually pretty potent!

8. Llew

Llew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, she'll do that with whatever airline she flies, but the problem with Southwest is that peanut dust is so deeply ingrained into the seat fabric, etc. that it is a problem even if she takes the first flight of the day, after the plane's daily cleaning - much less a later flight where new dust has accumulated.

9. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not saying SWA is not a good airline...we use them all the time....but I think by law they had to refund your money.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not exactly what you are referring, to, so I will assume you are talking about a lower price.

Wrong.

Airlines come out with lower prices often. You are stuck with what you bought with most tickets (non-refundable). There is no law that requires them to refund your money.

(edited to reflect posting below - the 24 hour rule. A few airlines had that in the past, but now all follow)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  11. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is incorrect. Since the end of January 2012, there are new regulations issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

So you have 24 hours to rebook and/or cancel your flight purchase before you get stuck having to pay any change fees.

12. MWJ51102

MWJ51102 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a law that they have to give a refund if it is within 24 hours of the initial purchase.

Sorry didn't see ^ post.

13. crapsaddict

crapsaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the prices for flight round trip from milwaukee have just jumped up tremendously. Have been watching the prices for awhile, and when you looked the daily one way fares, the price was fairly stable for their best rate at 141 one way if you booked from 3 weeks to 6 weeks ahead of time. When I finally got within the 6 week window, the low price had jumped from 141 to 178. Came back a couple days later and now my overall best price was 381 round trip and I also noticed their was no late night flight anymore, so I figured I had better book it then. I just checked it again which was 3 days later and now my best price would have been 458 round trip. Am going march 3-11 which does not seem to be a time when anything major is going on there.

14. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest used to be the cheapest from Cleveland but for the last couple years they have gone up significantly. This year I checked SW and they wanted $400+ a ticket while I booked AA for $240 including taxes. Even if you add a bag that's only $50 extra.

15. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, the LV NASCAR race is 3/8-10 so that is probably part of it.

16. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really wish SWA would start non-stops to LAS from MSP. Their fares always seem very good and I always hear good things about them.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew SWA last week and I forgot to bring my drink coupons:bang:

So on the flight out I ordered two drinks at once. He tries scanning my charge card several times and then says he'll have to get a different scanner. I made a crack that he should just forget about them. No reaction, but he never came back.:beer:

Flying home, I again ordered two at once and this flight attendant never even asked for my CC.:thumbsup:

I do like SWA and their employees honestly seem to enjoy their work...or at least do a good of pretending.:poke:

18. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Told you sooooo.....LOL....... :)

19. crapsaddict

crapsaddict Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bob you are probably right about the nascar thing going on, am not a fan so I have a blind spot there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.